Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 08:35 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times

Advertisements

We have to wear them in California and the law has never bothered me. I prefer it. Still I would prefer to have the freedom to allow others the right to live as they would. I prefer to have a full face shield as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 08:50 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
SOON, Yeah I rode from NH to Cal in 05, and wore a lid on the entire trip no matter what state laws were. If I lived in the parts of Cal I visted for the most part I would wear a lid too. In the National Parks there I might not if the law said I was free to not wear one. In the parks the speed limits are lower, and the traffic isn't as bad.

Most folks don't understand I live with in 14 miles of the National Forest, and know back roads where I encounter Moose and Bear more than I do cars.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:00 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
I don't think it should be a law in any state. I think it should be an insurance item.

When you go to get insurance they should ask you if you wear a helmet. If you say yes, you get one rate, if you say no, then you get a different rate.

If you say yes, and you have an accident with a helmet on, you are fully covered. If you say no, have an accident, and you do or not, you are fully covered. If you say yes, and you have an accident without a helmet, well, you foot the bill out of pocket because you are not covered for that accident, no matter who is at fault.

I think the rates for non-wear should be a lot steeper so it can help pay for those that don't wear helmets.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:07 AM

147 posts, read 135,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I don't think it should be a law in any state. I think it should be an insurance item.

When you go to get insurance they should ask you if you wear a helmet. If you say yes, you get one rate, if you say no, then you get a different rate.

If you say yes, and you have an accident with a helmet on, you are fully covered. If you say no, have an accident, and you do or not, you are fully covered. If you say yes, and you have an accident without a helmet, well, you foot the bill out of pocket because you are not covered for that accident, no matter who is at fault.

I think the rates for non-wear should be a lot steeper so it can help pay for those that don't wear helmets.
Here is a fact.... the costs of treating a helmeted vs unhelmeted in a hospital is 8% different.

People with helmets get in more accidents than people without helmets.

Dead at the accident people have no hospital cost.

about 30% of all deaths are drunk drivers. Would you rather have a drunk in a car or motorcycle? In cars it is about 22%. But in the car they kill others. On a motorcycle last time I looked a motorcyclist killed less than 10 others a year in other vehicles, and those may have been the car at fault the data is not broken down. (and they may not have been drunks)

so my insurance would go up from $100.00 to $108, that is fair. but a discount for the less accidents unhelmeted get in.

So if I opt for the no helmet plan and get in an accident because on a rainy day I wear a helmet does that mean I am not covered? just joking.

Safety is no accident!!!!!

Last edited by inventor1; 07-06-2012 at 09:23 AM..

Old 07-17-2012, 07:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I also live in a state that does not require A HELMET. Regardless of that I do require and wear one.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post

Not a bad idea, but the idea needs work...

Sometimes a lid under the right conditions will aid in the cause of an accident, as there is less hearing due to more wind noise if nothing else, and or wasps can enter a lid and create a mess. And etc.

As I see it after a certain speed a lid is nothing more than a brain bucket, which of course depends on what the body hits or not, in a body slide after the crash.

And all the time it's helmet, helmet, helmet..... What about those in shorts, tee shirts, and thong sandals in helmets?

Man I know that's a horrible visual, but I see it all the time! IMO the road is about 2 grit.

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 07-20-2012 at 03:38 PM..

Old 07-29-2012, 02:42 PM

301 posts, read 1,547,100 times
I haven't posted in a while.Have had some more health issues pop up.Brief history while riding one of my Harleys(with loud drag pipes)home from trip to the SO in N.C. 2006.968 miles round trip.2 1/2 miles from my driveway a 16 year old young man decided to pull a left hand U-turn on a two lane street were a u-turn is not possible.Well he wasn't looking,watching,what ever.I was wearing my riding gear plus rain gear.I had just rode through two states of rain.And a full face helmet.(I always wear a full face helmet on long distance rides.Because You never know what weather conditions you with hit.)Well I hit the truck at road speed 45mph went underneath and was run over.Had major broken bones and stuff.BUT the helmet saved my life.I did end up with brain damage,in the right front area of the brain.Which has left me with epilepsy and other stuff I don't want to talk about.But I live in Florida.It has a no helmet law.I have and will always wear a helmet.KA

Old 07-29-2012, 02:56 PM

Nasty crash..... Sorry to read of it....

Old 07-31-2012, 11:38 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
What I'll never understand -- and sorry for straying a bit off topic -- is why more states don't allow lane-sharing. A state that permits bare-headed riding but prohibits lane-sharing has it exactly backwards, IMHO.

Which is why I live in California. 8)

Old 07-31-2012, 01:51 PM

You will find most riders don't know what lane splitting is. I agree.... I spit lanes safely in NH where it isn't legal, but so far all that happens is some nut behind the wheel will shake his fist or say stupid things as i slip by.

When that light has changed I am gone... Incident forgotten. I can not carry anger and ride at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles