Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 02:54 PM

3,041 posts, read 5,001,053 times

Advertisements

So how hard is it to learn to ride a bike? I ride my bicycle every week, I know how to drive a stick, and I'm not looking for fast. Do motorcycles need to double clutch for every gear change? How hard was it for you to learn to clutch on with your hand?

Secondly, can anyone recommend a bike (or bikes) that would be good for beginner (5'9", 200lbs)? I'm looking for something that will be comfortable on trips up to 500 miles a day, as well as daily commutes. Must be able to handle highway speeds, preferably with good gas mileage.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 03:00 PM

Oh, and I'm in Texas, but I have a PA license, so I can't go take the MSF course until I get back (not that I'd want to, it's $200+ in TX and free in PA). I'm just doing as much research as I can now.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:14 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
It wouldn't be hard for you at all. No, you don't have to double-clutch, although blipping the throttle just the right amount for the next downshift makes it easier on the drive train.

There are so many bikes that would suffice for your description that I hesitate to name one. I'd suggest a 500-750cc bike in your choice of configuration.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:46 PM

660 posts, read 1,653,326 times
I actually rode a motorcycle for years before I began driving cars, so clutching with the left hand was more normal for me than with my foot.

That said, you have the basics and I think you'll find it easier (your hand has more "feel" than your foot with a shoe on it).

Remember that a motorcycle has sequential gears....IOW there is no "set" place for each gear. Each time you click up or down you shift one gear in order. Neutral is between 1st and 2nd.

I would begin on a very conventional style of motorcycle that is very forgiving in all aspects.

My suggestion? A Triumph Bonneville:

Old 06-07-2010, 08:42 PM

Thanks guys. I was thinking of trying to find a used bike between 500-900cc. Would it matter if I started off with even more power? I realize this makes the bike heavier, but what does that mean in terms of riding? Is it harder starting up hill? Around corners? How does wheelbase affect riding?

Another question I had was about types of bikes. What is considered conventional? A cruiser? How does seat height affect ride/comfort? Since I have short legs (30" inseam), should I get a bike that's lower to the ground?

I'm pretty sure the only thing I'm not looking for is a street bike or dirt bike/dual sport.

Thanks.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:55 PM

14 posts, read 32,074 times
Honda Shadow 750 is a good starter bike, lots of used ones around so prices are good. Reliable & relatively maintenance free - gas, oil, water, ride.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:58 PM

The Bonneville seems a bit pricier than what I've been looking at -- used bikes, preferably scratched or dented. Some models I've been seeing again and again are:

Yamaha VStar, Kawasaki Vulcan, Suzuki Boulevard. Is there any reason to definitively pick one over the others?

Thanks.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Thanks guys. I was thinking of trying to find a used bike between 500-900cc. Would it matter if I started off with even more power?
You're at the top with a 900 of what I would recommend for a first timer.

Quote:
How does wheelbase affect riding?
Shorter wheelbase bikes like sportbikes are "pointier"....such as quicker to react to smaller inputs from the rider. See how this ties in with the stuff below...

Quote:
Another question I had was about types of bikes. What is considered conventional? A cruiser? How does seat height affect ride/comfort? Since I have short legs (30" inseam), should I get a bike that's lower to the ground?
Conventional would be like the Bonneville above. A cruiser normally has a more laid-back body position, possibly forward pegs and controls (your feet are stretched out forward), and pull back bars. You want a seat height where you can fully put your foot down, but you gotta SIT on them to check that out. Advertised stats on that don't mean as much as you'd think there. Sit on some bikes, put the stand up and throw the bike around a bit to be sure it feels like something you can manage. You can tell a lot from sitting and standing with the bike between your legs.

The high seat and center of gravity, combined with the shorter weheelbase on sportbikes makes them a bit tricky.

Generally speaking the lower the center of gravity, the more stable a bike will feel even in cornering.

BTW...I would still highly recommend even a nice used Bonneville (loads of them on eBay and Craigslist). The pictured one is a T-100 which is a bit more pricey. They also have an economy version. They are a very pleasant and civilized bike to start on. They always feel predictable and won't bite you...almost like your bicycle with an engine. They're also practically bulletproof.

If not, then the Honda 750 is a great suggestion too. I'd go with a Honda over the rest for sure. Probably depending upon where someone lives, the only thing I've ever heard annoying about them is that if you store it over the winter, the carb jets tend to clog-up very easily when the gas goes stagnant. You just have to start it at least every two weeks.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:38 AM

Thanks again for the input.

The Bonnevilles on Craigslist seem to run about twice what the other ones are running for and I don't want to spend too much money on a first bike -- the assumption being I'll be laying it down once or twice, I'll destroy the clutch, or otherwise damage the bike in some way. I have no illusions about this: I still remember my first car.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:46 AM

Let's HOPE you don't lay it down!! Remember that with a car and a small bump, it's only the car that gets damaged. With a bike, you usually get damaged along with the bike.

The clutches on bikes are pretty stout. They can take loads of abuse. Since you know how to drive a stick shift car, you shouldn't find the bike tough to handle at all. You just want to remember that stalling it is way better than giving it too much throttle since instead of the rear wheels spinning like with a car, a bike is going to do a wheelstand.

Give that Honda 750 Shadow high consideration. Honda makes excellent bikes, bulletproof, easy to maintain, and that bike has the low seat and stuff you want for a starter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles