U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 04:00 PM

34,995 posts, read 37,767,355 times

Advertisements

....what makes "Inception" so fascinating is that it joins a host of groundbreaking movies that have inspired either a generational or critical divide. The contentious reaction to "Inception" has a lot in common with the response to such equally daring films as "Breathless," "Bonnie and Clyde," "The Wild Bunch," "A Clockwork Orange," "Taxi Driver," "Reservoir Dogs," "Pulp Fiction" and "Natural Born Killers," to name but a few. People either love 'em or hate 'em, with young moviegoers usually being the first to wrap them in a firm embrace.
Why is it that the older you are the more you can't stand 'Inception'? | The Big Picture | Los Angeles Times

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inception_(film)

Hmmm. Are we at a new generational fork in the road?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 04:24 PM

8,672 posts, read 21,664,926 times
Well, many of our friends of raving about it, but I couldn't even get my 56 year old husband to go. He says he doesn't like the idea of implanting ideas in people's dreams. Said it reminds him of the Matrix which he didn't like.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:40 PM

13,394 posts, read 43,566,712 times
heh
I remember my mom FREAKING OUT at this movie in 1968:
Wild in the Streets
Probably a bit more thought and care (and $!) went into Inception.
I certainly liked it, and enjoyed talking about it afterward, but I wouldn't say I loved it.
I guess Inception breaks ground as a gamer movie, a film you must decipher, but I am not sure that accomplishment will serve it well enough to stand the test of time.
But maybe I'm just old.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:05 PM

34,995 posts, read 37,767,355 times
BWP, do you remember Joe (1969)?

I remember reading a little blurb about WITS in Seventeen and longing to go see it

Easy Rider was one of those dividing pictures, too.

Kind of like when you're older you can't understand the words in pop songs anymore? (At least I cant!) Some mysterious Rubicon....

Old 08-05-2010, 08:01 AM

13,394 posts, read 43,566,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
BWP, do you remember Joe (1969)?

I remember reading a little blurb about WITS in Seventeen and longing to go see it

Easy Rider was one of those dividing pictures, too.

Kind of like when you're older you can't understand the words in pop songs anymore? (At least I cant!) Some mysterious Rubicon....
I remember Joe--was it Peter Boyle's breakthrough movie? I don't think I ever saw it, though.

heh--I mostly just liked the dreamy Christopher Jones in WITS.

My mom took me to see Easy Rider because of the rating (I was under 17).
I have to give her credit for bothering to take me to see all these movies, when she was probably a bit disturbed by them.
And yeah, while I try to move with the times, just as my mom did, there are going to be certain trends, movements and ideas that don't work for me.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:40 AM

2,486 posts, read 3,476,151 times
I'm 38 and don't like Inception at all. Does that mean I'm in the old generation? Strangely enough, I really enjoyed The Matrix.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:10 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,923,748 times
I'm 54 and like Inception. What's wrong with me?

Old 08-05-2010, 01:10 PM

4,307 posts, read 12,982,373 times
My parents are in their early 70s and saw it before I did. My Dad thought it was great but my mother is still figuring it out.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:10 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,418,056 times
Possibly because the implanted dreams scenario isn't REALLY a new idea........and most "oldies" have seen many variations on the theme long before Inception.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:25 PM

37,097 posts, read 38,705,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
....what makes "Inception" so fascinating is that it joins a host of groundbreaking movies that have inspired either a generational or critical divide. The contentious reaction to "Inception" has a lot in common with the response to such equally daring films as "Breathless," "Bonnie and Clyde," "The Wild Bunch," "A Clockwork Orange," "Taxi Driver," "Reservoir Dogs," "Pulp Fiction" and "Natural Born Killers," to name but a few. People either love 'em or hate 'em, with young moviegoers usually being the first to wrap them in a firm embrace.
Why is it that the older you are the more you can't stand 'Inception'? | The Big Picture | Los Angeles Times

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inception_(film)

Hmmm. Are we at a new generational fork in the road?
I love the concept for Inception or I wouldn't have gone to see it and I like the actors and the effects. I just think the plot was a mess and I still don't know if it's because of the script or the way it was edited. What's the central plot in Inception? The story of Leonardo DiCaprio and his wife or the team's mission?

I also think the older you are, the less you are afraid to criticize what everyone else say is "cool." You know, god forbid you are 17 - 22 and say you don't like it. Then you are labeled not smart enough or "cool" enough so you go along with the crowd. Sort of reminds me of a certain election when no one could tell you what "change" meant but they all decided it was the "cool" thing to want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies