Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 03:49 PM

42 posts, read 117,900 times

Advertisements

i have just recently seen American Gangster an i thought it was the best movie i have seen by far. just wondered if anyone else has seen it, and for those of you who havent seen the movie i strongly reccomend you to watch it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 03:59 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,154,343 times
It was pretty good and as usual Mr. Washington was awesome. I wouldn't watch it again though. But I would recommend it to others.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:32 PM

738 posts, read 1,885,707 times
It was good. I would recommend it but probably not watch it again.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:43 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,652,805 times
It was good. It wasn't great, though. I think I had very high expectations and it was pretty much a cop chasing a bad guy story. I would still say it is worth watching.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:12 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,331,288 times
Default American Gangster...Denziel Washington...

American Gangster...

This movie is very layered...in that, depending on what mood your in, or what your going through, will determine how it effects you...

Also...how you rate or view this movie, will directly effect your sense of self, or the proper order of things (in your mind)...

Unlike the previous posters...I do think this is an excellent movie...and do think it's worth seeing again...as with other mob classics...

Let's face it, as in the movie, most aren't use to seeing such a powerful, yet classy, underworld figure in the form of a A-American...

If his character had been Italian...or Irish...it undoubtly would of gotten more acclaim...
But he's not, and the character is a real life person (this movie is based on a true story) who comes from the rural south and somehow through wit, greed and determination, rises, for a period, to be the most powerful mobster in New York....and maybe still would be, if not for the gritty determination of a outcast detective..(played by Russel Crow)...

The movie gives us a real life look into the corrupt nature of the NYPD during that era (1965-73)...and shows how through the co-operation of Law enforcement officials, and judges and DA's ect ect, powerful drug syndicates were allowed to do their thing...as long as everyone got 'awarded' or 'payed off'...

In other words, crime was done in co-operation with corrupt law enforcement officials...cause they were getting a big piece of the cut...

And as long as the drug dealers were makeing money, so were they...and that's real life...

I definatly recommend this movie for those who want to take a peak at real life...and how things really work...it may shatter your protective bubble of the 'good cop, bad villian' image...but again...it paints a good picture of real life back then...

Americas not use to romanticizing over 'blck gangsters'...like they are 'scarface' or 'Don Gotti' or 'Jessie James' or 'Don Dillinger' 'Bonnie and Clyde'.. ect ect...

Sad to say, but when it comes to color, Americans are even parciluar about whom they choose to romanticize about when it comes to 'bad guys'...

Indeed another interesting yet telling insight into human nature...some people are a slave to it...

Anyhow...I thought it was a wonderful movie on all levels...
Even found myself rooting for the 'bad guy'...just do to the fact that to me the American government is not very responsible with the money it gets...

And seems to waste countless resorces bringing down the mob, and drug dealers...just to have them replaced by a more violent less organized younger generation of criminals...

Old 10-02-2010, 06:26 PM

Another note...

This movie might not particularly appeal to the younger rap generation...why?

Cause it's not flashy...there's no rap musicical scores...and the movie flows more like a book...

That's one thing I do like about it, is that it's 'steady'...and resisted the temptation to exploit the current Hollywood flashy hip-hop trends...

Instead it sticks to the story...the story of a old time 1960's Harlem Ganster...

It does a good job of telling a story without constant gun fights and or high speed car chases...it just sticks to the story of how a lowly southern guy, could move to New York, team with a powerful dealer...and end up rising up...

Although the film never explains how he got there, and or how Denzels character was enticed to get into the life of crime to begin with...and or why he was the only one of his 4 or 5 brothers to leave home and head for the city...

But again, it's based on a true story, so all one has to do is track down the name of the guy Denzel played, and i'm sure those questions could be answered...
Last I heard the guy was still alive, got out of prison, and is or was living a quiet life...

Old 10-04-2010, 07:45 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,314,078 times
T&S

Excellent!

Old 10-05-2010, 02:44 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,692,246 times
Maybe time and spice is on to something because i didnt like it that much. I also was not a big fan of the departed either. I was just bored by both films

Old 10-06-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Maybe time and spice is on to something because i didnt like it that much. I also was not a big fan of the departed either. I was just bored by both films
When I sat in the theater to watch 'The departed'...believe it or not I almost walked out after the first 10 minutes...but then I realized I had to 'shift gears' internally, in order to hear what the film was trying to express or say...

When I did that...I was totally glued to the screen...

Many of us, do to current times we live in, have lost the ability to hear a story being told...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies