Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2023, 03:55 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,219,447 times

Advertisements

This is a really good look behind the scenes of The Shining. Filmed by Vivian Kubrick, Stanley's daughter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbNqMsK9xZs&t=478s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2023, 08:13 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
This is a really good look behind the scenes of The Shining. Filmed by Vivian Kubrick, Stanley's daughter.
Interesting. When all was said and done and the pain and stress ended, Shelley Duvall has high praise for Stanley Kubrick, saying during the making of this one movie, because of him, she learned more than all of her previous ones combined.

This link takes you directly to that part of the video:
https://youtu.be/mbNqMsK9xZs?t=1480

Old 06-08-2023, 05:30 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Interesting. When all was said and done and the pain and stress ended, Shelley Duvall has high praise for Stanley Kubrick, saying during the making of this one movie, because of him, she learned more than all of her previous ones combined.

This link takes you directly to that part of the video:
https://youtu.be/mbNqMsK9xZs?t=1480

Shelley Duvall is starring in a new horror movie, The Forest Hills. Nice to see her getting some work and doing something positive after that whole Dr. Phil fiasco..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9QLSAGa1i0

Old 06-08-2023, 08:13 AM

1,100 posts, read 430,970 times
Hahaha I've seen that documentary before but I don't remember much. Jack Nicholson is a movie star diva even, he's got a bidet in his private bathroom.

We own one too and once you have one you'll never go back.

He seems like a genuinely nice guy.

Old 09-09-2023, 07:06 AM

3,728 posts, read 2,551,518 times
I just finished the 1983 The Dead Zone. First time I've watched it in its entirety.
Good movie, good cast, cool winter scenery.
My only real complaint, was the insulting, cartoonish depiction of populism (Stillson for Senate). But it did have a storytelling purpose.

Old 09-09-2023, 08:55 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
I just finished the 1983 The Dead Zone. First time I've watched it in its entirety.
Good movie, good cast, cool winter scenery.
My only real complaint, was the insulting, cartoonish depiction of populism (Stillson for Senate). But it did have a storytelling purpose.
I just watched it again 2 nights ago. Actually a much better film than I remembered. I think what made it good was that they didn't go "over the top" with it. Basically a good, dramatic film.

Old 09-20-2023, 01:42 PM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Lots of good conspiracy theory about Kubrick being in the know about faking the moon landing. The hints he put in the movie were all over.

Old 09-21-2023, 05:53 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I just watched it again 2 nights ago. Actually a much better film than I remembered. I think what made it good was that they didn't go "over the top" with it. Basically a good, dramatic film.
Agreed. THE DEAD ZONE is a great movie. When it comes to movies based on Stephen King books, THE DEAD ZONE is definitly in the Top 5.

Old 09-21-2023, 11:08 AM

1,100 posts, read 430,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Lots of good conspiracy theory about Kubrick being in the know about faking the moon landing. The hints he put in the movie were all over.
While I won't deny there are hints, I don't believe that.

The Shining has so many interpretations and is one of the reasons it's so great.

Another popular "theory" is that Jack sexually abuses Danny, or has. I find no evidence of that anywhere. Surely Kubrick wasn't a pervert like that. There is nothing to me that even suggests that (good). Yes, we know he grabbed Danny but I don't think he sexually abused him, at all.

Also since we are on the movie I have noticed some things when I was watching it a bunch a month or two ago when it was On-demand.

--Anyone else notice Jack literally does *nothing* in terms of his "job" as the caretaker? Wendy does it all.

--The lighting is insane, not too many terrifying movies that are 100% bright in the light during the scariest parts (Here's Johnny!)

--I believe there are errors or "mistakes" not done on purpose. I don't think it's significant how everyone thinks Ullman's office "not being able to exist there". I find that overblown. But no doubt The Overlook is strange and haunted.

--The music is just terrifying.

--Actors hardly ever look into the camera but when JN does as he leaves furiously after letting Wendy have it (I've let you fk up my life this far but you're not gonna fk this up!!!!) but he does as he exits and it's also terrifying.

--I think many things are there just to mess with people and don't necessarily have a meaning, like the overturned and wrecked red Beetle in the snowstorm Halloran comes across. Kubrick did that just to screw with us, probably. It doesn't mean anything.

Old 09-21-2023, 12:23 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
There are lots of great analyses of Kubrick's films in general and THE SHINING in particular. You can watch some of them on youtube. They are definitely entertaining, but they remind me of a lot of literary criticism: They say more about the critic than the artist.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies