Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:04 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times

Advertisements

I loved the movie! It was one of the best I have ever seen. I sat there with a smile on my face through most of the movie and I could tell that the other folks in the theater were enjoying it as well.

Interesting, too, that my husband, who struggled with stuttering most of his life, was quoted in the local newspaper today. After a life of shyness and always being in someone's shadow he, too, finally found his voice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 06:31 AM

891 posts, read 2,450,519 times
I loved this movie so much - it was perfect in almost every single way. I wanted to go again the next day and almost did but want to wake at least a week or so.

I felt the same thing - the audience seems completely entralled by the movie

Old 01-03-2011, 07:37 AM

950 posts, read 1,259,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookmen View Post
I just saw it and thought it was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. The story was inspiring and moving, and surprisingly very funny in places. All the performances were extraordinary. The entire audience applauded at the end, which I don't think I've ever seen in a movie theater before.
You too? I saw the movie and like you feel the same way.I saw it at the 11:25 show at Regal Live Oak herre in Texas.Since it was the first show Christmas day,there weren't a lot of people in the theatre, but people did applaude at the end. It was an excellent movie, and certainly one to appeal to history buffs.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:21 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
Saw this movie yesterday, and loved it! A hearty two thumbs up! When it was over, the audience applauded...and rightly so. To echo another poster, Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush were amazing. Enjoyed Helena Bonham-Carter also...she's always terrific in period pieces.

As an aside, did anyone notice the actress who played Logue's wife? I recognized her immediately and waited for the credits to confirm my hunch. She's Jennifer Ehle, who played Elizabeth Bennet to Colin Firth's Mr. Darcy in the BBC mini-series, Pride and Prejudice.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:29 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times
I loved this movie. I am sorry that some didn't understand the disorder and felt the need to yell at him like his father did. Which, obviously didn't work. It was history, a great story about a friendship and overcoming a crippling disability. So often we have these misconceptions that those in the public eye like royalty don't have things like this to deal with. But, it was refreshing to see such a candid portrayal. If you didn't like the movie, perhaps you need to read more about King George VI because the history of the Monarchy during that time period and thereafter is absolutely fascinating.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:41 AM

891 posts, read 2,450,519 times
OK, so I saw this movie for a second time yesterday and there was a group of 19 to 21 year olds. As we were walking out one of the guys asked, "so was that based on a true story or something"

I so wanted to turn around and say yes it is based on the true story - now go watch it again.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:54 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
As an aside, did anyone notice the actress who played Logue's wife? I recognized her immediately and waited for the credits to confirm my hunch. She's Jennifer Ehle, who played Elizabeth Bennet to Colin Firth's Mr. Darcy in the BBC mini-series, Pride and Prejudice.
Mr. Collins from the same P&P production was in The King's Speech also. He played the theatre director.

Excellent movie. I was all weepy afterwards.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:01 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
And Helena Bonham Carter, Timothy Spall, and Michael Gambon were all in Harry Potter movies. The entire cast was a exercise in "what else was he/she in?"

Old 01-10-2011, 05:03 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
Mr. Collins from the same P&P production was in The King's Speech also. He played the theatre director.
Yes, yes! I recognized him too!

Old 01-10-2011, 09:11 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I saw the film last week and I did enjoy it. I knew his brother gave up the throne and George became King, but I never knew of his speech difficulties. It was refreshing to see a true story from another time and learn something new. Very well acted by all especially Colin Firth.

It is so difficult in this day and age to find a decent film. One that isn't violent and has little to no appeal. The Kings Speech was one of those rare good movies that rarely come along anymore. Im sure it will win awards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies