Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:25 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times

Advertisements

I'm 49 so only heard about King Edward's abdication due to the divorced Mrs. Wallis Simpson after the fact, and it was interesting to see it play out. It was also fascinating to see The Queen Mom portrayed, as well as the current Queen Elizabeth and her sister Margaret as a child. I guess I am just old enough to find this incredibly cool, having followed them for most of my life. It was amazing to watch the family think they will be safe in the shadows, knowing what is to come.

The Queen Mom was always a lovely woman; very kind to the newly married Princess Diana, knowing what it is like to marry into the royal family. She lived to be 101, only recently died in 2002.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 06:25 AM

891 posts, read 2,450,519 times
Does anyone else think it is a shame that this movie got an R rating. I know it was for the few bad words, but this \movie should be PG13 and teenagers shiould be encouraged to go see it

I know for most adults they don't pay much attention to the rating, but I know people in their twenties and older who simply won't go to R rated movies.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:33 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I'm 49 so only heard about King Edward's abdication due to the divorced Mrs. Wallis Simpson after the fact, and it was interesting to see it play out. It was also fascinating to see The Queen Mom portrayed, as well as the current Queen Elizabeth and her sister Margaret as a child. I guess I am just old enough to find this incredibly cool, having followed them for most of my life.
I enjoyed the same thing, hiknapster.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:07 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BU191433 View Post
Does anyone else think it is a shame that this movie got an R rating. I know it was for the few bad words, but this \movie should be PG13 and teenagers shiould be encouraged to go see it

I know for most adults they don't pay much attention to the rating, but I know people in their twenties and older who simply won't go to R rated movies.
Yes. It was strange that it got that rating. Cussing certainly shouldn't put the rating at that level. I think PG13 would have been more appropriate. But, it is an independent film and frankly it caters to those who wish to see films with some meaning, that didn't cause a billion dollars to produce and that aren't advertised every five minutes. So, I think the rating didn't hinder anyone interested in seeing the movie. The theatre was completely full when we saw it so perhaps the award nominations it received acted as a driver to get more people to see it.

I am tired of seeing the same movies over and over and over and it is movies like this that make spending all that money going to the movies more worth it.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:45 PM

I'm guessing that the only reason they gave it an R-rating was because of the language -- when Albert goes off on his cussing tears. Lots of f-words. I'm not saying I agree with the rating or the reason for it, but that's the only "adult themed" content I can think of.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:57 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
I want my 10-year-old to see it. There are several life lessons in that movie, not to mention the historical significance. The story is entirely true.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:42 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,120,348 times
The movie is supposed to be difficult to watch. It shed light on the rare, but debilitating condition known as stuttering. I can relate because I stuttered mildly, but briefly as a child, then had cousins that used to stutter severely up to age 10 before it went away so I know what the business is about it. Anyone that ridicules someone for this is a real jackass, seriously.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
The movie is supposed to be difficult to watch.
It was a little difficult to watch at times. I just felt so bad for him as he strained to get the words out, and the more he strained, the harder it was. My take on watching him -- or rather Firth's portrayal of him -- was that he felt mortified and ashamed, and he seemed to feel deficient, especially as the events turned and put him on the throne. But not only deficient as a king. There was one scene with him and his daughters, when he was telling them a story, and you could see how much he loved them and how good a parent he was, but it also seemed so sad that even with his own children, he couldn't help the stammer. He also came across as intensely lonely and even isolated. He had the love of his wife and his children, but he didn't have any friends, and didn't seem to have much of a connection with his parents. I think that's why the movie felt so triumphant at the end. By the time the story was told, I was rooting for the MAN, not the KING.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:15 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,120,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
It was a little difficult to watch at times. I just felt so bad for him as he strained to get the words out, and the more he strained, the harder it was. My take on watching him -- or rather Firth's portrayal of him -- was that he felt mortified and ashamed, and he seemed to feel deficient, especially as the events turned and put him on the throne. But not only deficient as a king. There was one scene with him and his daughters, when he was telling them a story, and you could see how much he loved them and how good a parent he was, but it also seemed so sad that even with his own children, he couldn't help the stammer. He also came across as intensely lonely and even isolated. He had the love of his wife and his children, but he didn't have any friends, and didn't seem to have much of a connection with his parents. I think that's why the movie felt so triumphant at the end. By the time the story was told, I was rooting for the MAN, not the KING.
That's why it's a very powerful movie. I will definitely get it on DVD when it comes out.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:57 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
I loved the movie. Collin Firth could make anything attractive, even a stammer.

Touching portrait of a lovely family. I love Geoffrey Rush's character too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies