Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 06:49 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times

Advertisements

So, if you like it, tell me why and if you didn't, and there are not alot of us, tell me why.
I thought it was disturbing and irritating. I felt sorry for the king but his constant stuttering grated on my nerves and made me irritated. I wanted to yell at him just like his father did. "JUST SAY IT!!!" I didn't think the speech therapist was very good in helping the king and I wanted to know if he ever did overcome his speech impediment.

I am sure its Oscar material for everything but I wish the king had given us more information about his childhood days instead of glossing over it. So, what does everyone else think???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 07:55 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
Wow, talk about a total lack of understanding for people who stammer and of the condition itself. If you lack such empathy maybe you shouldn't have watched the movie in the first place. That's the whole bloody problem with the condition. YOU CAN'T JUST SAY IT!!! The more people pressure you the worse it gets.

And Logue helped George VI ENORMOUSLY. He could barely speak in public until Logue came along and he remained his friend and helper until George VI died in 1952.

Bertie's childhood was fairly horrendous. His mother was said to be the only person in London who could cause frostbite just by walking into a room. He was beaten for being left-handed and for stammering. Did you miss the part where he talked about his nurse who used to starve him and pinch him so he would cry whenever his parents visited? And where he described his father saying, "I was scared of my father and by god my children are going to be scared of me,"? Not really sure you watched this movie at all.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:07 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
I REALLY want to see this movie but will probably have to wait until it is in the rentals. I suppose it would be disturbing to see Bertie's sad childhood, but I was always curious about George's story in the abdication, and the director, Tom Hooper, is the same guy who directed John Adams and Elizabeth I, both fine, vibrant works.

Plus Colin Firth has yet to disappoint me.

I've heard of the connection between handedness and speech, my father (a lefty himself) had a classmate whose parents forced him to use his right hand and developed a stammer.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:04 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Well Chili, I have alot of respect and understanding for people with this problem. But this was a movie. Not real life. I thought the way it was portrayed was irritating and disturbing and was just offering my opinion. There was NO NEED to be critical of my comments in the way you did. I understand they cannot "just say it." I am not stupid. I did have the feeling that others close to the king did wish he "could just say it."

Old 12-31-2010, 07:38 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,758,918 times
"I thought it was disturbing and irritating. stuttering grated on my nerves and made me irritated. "
If you thought it was disturbing how do you think it made him feel? Firth did an excellent job of making me feel his angst.
Awards to all involved!

Old 01-01-2011, 07:49 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
This movie seems to be on all the critics' Top Ten lists. I can't wait to see it...especially since I'm a HUGE fan of Colin Firth.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:26 PM

360 posts, read 992,709 times
I just saw it and thought it was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. The story was inspiring and moving, and surprisingly very funny in places. All the performances were extraordinary. The entire audience applauded at the end, which I don't think I've ever seen in a movie theater before.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:21 PM

449 posts, read 516,673 times
Ok, so I'm a speech therapist. I haven't seen the movie, yet. BUT, I find the beginning of this thread insensitive. Did the movie go into the realm of how the king was feeling? So much emotion behind those who have a stuttering disorder. It saddens me to know there are people that have no empathy for people who have no control over something. Like I said, I haven't seen the movie, so I can't comment on what it portrays. But., I feel for people who can't be fluent in their expression. Put yourself in their shoes. Can you?

Old 01-01-2011, 10:22 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I'm going to see this movie tomorrow and I can't wait.

My husband stutters. Only when he is talking about his job, because his mind races faster than his speech. When he was younger it was all the time, but now it isn't very often.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:28 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Excellent movie. Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush are, as usual, amazing.

I work with kids with communicative disorders, so I can see the OP for the ignorant commentary it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies