Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your favorite flick of the trilogy?
The Tenant 2 40.00%
Rosemary's Baby 3 60.00%
Repulsion 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 01:50 PM

631 posts, read 1,072,325 times

Advertisements

What's your favorite flick of the trilogy?

1) Mine is definitely The Tenant. It's just a flawless masterpiece and criminally underrated movie. The script, music, scenery, acting... Everything was amazing. The film kept me in suspense right from the very beginning till the very end. I pity Trelkovsky so much because it was a really sad story. It's a must-see movie for every suspense & thriller devotee who has ever rented an apartment.

2) Rosemary's Baby is very good too. I pity Rosemary yet I can't refrain from blaming her as she was quite naive and even stupid trusting all these freaking neighbors. Taking unknown herbs instead of certified pills. Darn it. Not to mention of course her husband who sort of warmed the friendship with these neighbors up and inspired her to take these herbs. You know everything was perfect in the movie till the booth scene. Why? The final part was disappointing as there was broken that mystery. Alas, intrigue was over (as opposed to The Tenant, where intrigue still remains even after the film is over). Further, at the end they showed a thing that can't happen in real life (such babies can't be born). So, that disappointed me too.

3) Even though it's a very decent film I didn't like Repulsion though since it's too silent. There's a lack of dialogues and actions.

So, this is my top:
1) The Tenant;
2) Rosemary's Baby;
3) Repulsion.

P.S. I'd also like to add that The Tenant suits men better, while Rosemary's Baby and Repulsion suit women better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 09:42 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,256 times
1) Rosemary's Baby, which I first watched when I was a child so there's sentimental value attached to it, alongside the fact that it's a cult classic and very good whichever way you look at it. Her conflicted relationship with her husband (the late -and very talented- John Cassavetes) and the anguish her impending role as a mother makes her feel are fastinating to watch. The satanic theme comes as a fabulous bonus (I don't see it as central) where dark humour is always present. Mia Farrow is wonderful here.
2) Repulsion, where the main character is also a troubled female and I just love the way Polanski portrays main feminine characters in his films. I know many say his works are misogynistic, but I've never thought that was the case.
3) The Tenant. I agree with you in your assessment: great story, faultlessly scripted. It's my third option but a five-star movie nonetheless!

Old 01-12-2011, 01:06 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,595 times
ooh, good thread. i don't care what they say about polanski, he is STILL a master. it does NOT get any better than "rosemary's baby" except for those other two movies. "repulsion" seems to be the one that people have the hardest time wrapping their head around.

and i agree with noela- no one could have played rosemary other than mia farrow. she was spot on briliant. as was j cassavetes, who i always thought was so handsome. : )

Old 01-14-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
she was spot on briliant
Yeah she was great.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
1) Rosemary's Baby, which I first watched when I was a child so there's sentimental value attached to it, alongside the fact that it's a cult classic and very good whichever way you look at it. Her conflicted relationship with her husband (the late -and very talented- John Cassavetes) and the anguish her impending role as a mother makes her feel are fastinating to watch. The satanic theme comes as a fabulous bonus (I don't see it as central) where dark humour is always present. Mia Farrow is wonderful here.
2) Repulsion, where the main character is also a troubled female and I just love the way Polanski portrays main feminine characters in his films. I know many say his works are misogynistic, but I've never thought that was the case.
3) The Tenant. I agree with you in your assessment: great story, faultlessly scripted. It's my third option but a five-star movie nonetheless!
It seems Polanski is in a much more favor with the Europeans as this is the American board where people rarely speak of him preferring guys like Spielberg instead.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
ooh, good thread. i don't care what they say about polanski, he is STILL a master. it does NOT get any better than "rosemary's baby" except for those other two movies. "repulsion" seems to be the one that people have the hardest time wrapping their head around.

and i agree with noela- no one could have played rosemary other than mia farrow. she was spot on briliant. as was j cassavetes, who i always thought was so handsome. : )
was he indeed (I had quite a big crush on him even before I knew he was relevant outside that movie lol)

Old 01-16-2011, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin of Symmetry View Post
It seems Polanski is in a much more favor with the Europeans as this is the American board where people rarely speak of him preferring guys like Spielberg instead.
I know. I think he only was widely acclaimed there when The Pianist (another wonderful film) came out?

By the way, Bitter Moon left a huge, HUGE imprint on me and my friends when we were teens. The only copy we had was passed around like mad and the movie lines endlessly quoted lol

Old 01-21-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I know. I think he only was widely acclaimed there when The Pianist (another wonderful film) came out?
Rosemary's Baby and Chinatown were a big success in the States, too. So, I don't know. And yes, The Pianist is a great movie.

Quote:
By the way, Bitter Moon left a huge, HUGE imprint on me and my friends when we were teens. The only copy we had was passed around like mad and the movie lines endlessly quoted lol
I've never seen Bitter Moon. Hope to watch it one day though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies