Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 09:14 PM

5,012 posts, read 10,692,515 times

Advertisements

Catwoman is a great choice for the next villian but I think that casting Hathaway is a big mistake. I think that she is a very talented actress, and certainly a better choice than Jolie would have been (too obvious), but I don't think that she has the experience or the range to play Catwoman.

Like the Joker, the character is supposed to damaged, even sociopathic, with a very complex relationship with Batman, and I don't see Hathaway as an actress able to pull that off. I know that many initially doubted Ledger but I wasn't one of them; he was always edgy, especially wrt his choice of film roles, which Hathaway is not. Even in Brokeback Mountain, she did not give what I would call an edgy, gripping performance (but she was solid). I really think that Hathaway is as miscast in the part as Katie Holmes was for Rachel (Maggie Gyllenhaal was just perfect in the role). But then, I really have no idea what actress would be able to pull off the part of Catwoman, especially in a film that follows The Dark Knight.

That said, I hope she proves me wrong because like many fans I would like the follow-up to not be a disappointment. But then, I wonder if anything that follows TDK is going to be as good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 09:22 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Catwoman is a great choice for the next villian but I think that casting Hathaway is a big mistake. I think that she is a very talented actress, and certainly a better choice than Jolie would have been (too obvious), but I don't think that she has the experience or the range to play Catwoman.

Like the Joker, the character is supposed to damaged, even sociopathic, with a very complex relationship with Batman, and I don't see Hathaway as an actress able to pull that off. I know that many initially doubted Ledger but I wasn't one of them; he was always edgy, especially wrt his choice of film roles, which Hathaway is not. Even in Brokeback Mountain, she did not give what I would call an edgy, gripping performance (but she was solid). I really think that Hathaway is as miscast in the part as Katie Holmes was for Rachel (Maggie Gyllenhaal was just perfect in the role). But then, I really have no idea what actress would be able to pull off the part of Catwoman, especially in a film that follows The Dark Knight.

That said, I hope she proves me wrong because like many fans I would like the follow-up to not be a disappointment. But then, I wonder if anything that follows TDK is going to be as good.
I agree. I almost wish I could go back in time to when Michelle was young and hot and put her back in the role. I wish the same for Michael Keaton; I liked him much better as Bruce Wayne. I hate he Bruce Wayne in Dark Knight. He was kind of a snob

Old 01-19-2011, 11:16 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
Hathaway can play darker characters beyond those she played in The Princess Diaries and Devil Wears Prada. She was pretty good in Rachel Getting Married, where she played a troubled girl just getting out of rehab. who knows, she could pull it off

Old 01-19-2011, 11:26 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Wow. I think Tom Cruise is one of the worst of all. He's so famous and so much is known about his personal life that it's impossible not to look at him in anything and not see Tom Cruise. I've seen the Mission Impossible movies and I don't remember what his character's name was.
That's OK, I kinda wish I could forget Tom Cruises' name.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:05 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post

Like the Joker, the character is supposed to damaged, even sociopathic, with a very complex relationship with Batman, and I don't see Hathaway as an actress able to pull that off. I know that many initially doubted Ledger but I wasn't one of them; he was always edgy, especially wrt his choice of film roles, which Hathaway is not. Even in Brokeback Mountain, she did not give what I would call an edgy, gripping performance (but she was solid).
First of all, you can't know for sure whether an actor has the range to play a specific role if they've never been given the chance to show that range. Second, you can't infer too much about an actor's capabilities based on their choice of film roles. For all we know, Hathaway may have wanted to play a darker, edgier character, but she was rejected for the very reason you laid out here, because the person doing the casting couldn't see her being able to pull off such a character. In this case, I think it works in Hathaway's favor because, like Ledger, people don't know what to expect making it easier for the actor to surprise the audience. That's what hurts people like Angelina Jolie. I didn't need to see the movie Salt to imagine what she would be like in the role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I agree. I almost wish I could go back in time to when Michelle was young and hot and put her back in the role. I wish the same for Michael Keaton; I liked him much better as Bruce Wayne. I hate he Bruce Wayne in Dark Knight. He was kind of a snob
Have you seen Michelle Pfeiffer? She still looks fantastic. As for Bruce Wayne, the Dark Knight depiction is more true to the comics. The public Bruce Wayne is supposed to be a bit of a snob. That's how he keeps people from suspecting that he's really Batman.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:39 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,265 times
That's another reason Why i don't like the thought of Catwoman in the Batman movies. Catwoman is bleah. I seriously don't think Catwoman would be a good follow up. But eh if the movie stinks then it stinks.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:49 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
There are few characters from the Batman comics that would make sense in this series of movies given its focus on realism. I think a lot of people were wondering how a character like The Joker could be translated without having to radically alter the character. When I first heard that he would wear makeup, I cringed. But they actually made it work and it made the character much more believable than a guy who fell into a vat of acid. Other characters like Clayface would be harder to do. I like that this series has stayed away from the supernatural elements or having Batman face actual monsters. But it severely limits who you can use. I think a character like Catwoman could be done in a realistic fashion. I'm sure they'll leave out the stuff about her being brought to life by cats or having nine lives. I also think since Catwoman is supposed to be a mirror to Batman, it wouldn't be right to have one last movie and not have her make an appearance.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:01 AM

28 posts, read 35,831 times
I am actually more excited about Bane. The character can be so cerebral if done right and still be incredibly brutish.

If this is done right he can be excellent.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:27 AM

5,012 posts, read 10,692,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
First of all, you can't know for sure whether an actor has the range to play a specific role if they've never been given the chance to show that range. Second, you can't infer too much about an actor's capabilities based on their choice of film roles. For all we know, Hathaway may have wanted to play a darker, edgier character, but she was rejected for the very reason you laid out here, because the person doing the casting couldn't see her being able to pull off such a character. In this case, I think it works in Hathaway's favor because, like Ledger, people don't know what to expect making it easier for the actor to surprise the audience. That's what hurts people like Angelina Jolie. I didn't need to see the movie Salt to imagine what she would be like in the role.

Have you seen Michelle Pfeiffer? She still looks fantastic. As for Bruce Wayne, the Dark Knight depiction is more true to the comics. The public Bruce Wayne is supposed to be a bit of a snob. That's how he keeps people from suspecting that he's really Batman.
Not exactly. I could tell that Katie Holmes was miscast from the very beginning, and in a role that she really should have been able to pull off. Moroever, I never said that Hathaway is going to be terrible; however, I have my doubts. If someone like, say, Natalie Portman had been cast, then I would not be so doubtful. Portman is proven, experienced and successful in many different roles, the same as Ledger was; Hathaway is not. That doesn't mean she won't be able to pull it off, it just means that she will have to prove herself in this film.

I agree to some extent about Jolie. But then, actors do have a choice in the roles that they play. Jolie has tried films in which she does not play a femme fatale and it has shown many people that she just doesn't have a lot of range. So, you can't really fault anyone for not giving her a chance; she has been given plenty of chances.

Like Jolie, Hathaway has been very purposeful in her choice of roles and the cultivation of a certain image. She is not a victim, someone who "hasn't been given a chance"--clearly, she can take indie projects if she wants to but she hasn't, which is part of the reason why I think she is miscast. She is more movie star than actress.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:20 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times
Does anyone know if the motorcycle will be recast in the upcoming movie and with more air time? If so, I'm good. As far as the previous actors, they can bring in a whole new group as far as I'm concerned. It's too bad Keith Ledger, won't be there, that would have been great, he was the movie, well he and the action scenes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies