Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 06:17 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,046,327 times

Advertisements

I can see how liberal/progressives will not "get it".

My conservative friends love it, the left, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 08:49 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,017,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I can see how liberal/progressives will not "get it".

My conservative friends love it, the left, not so much.
Your friends have all seen it already? But it just opens today, and it's still pretty early in the day for them to have seen it and reported back to you. Perhaps you and your friends are all in the movie industry and have seen advance showings. Or perhaps you are just assuming who will like or dislike the movie.

It's easy to dismiss bad reviews, saying those lefty critics didn't agree with the politics, but maybe the movie is just not that good. A book of this stature certainly deserved a bigger budget and more experienced crew. Blaming the critics is like shooting the messenger for bad news.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:50 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,780,380 times
Looking forward to seeing it.....

Old 04-16-2011, 04:37 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times
funny to see the difference between the critics reviews and the people. i usually go with the regular folks but with this movie you may have people who give it a good review as a sign of support regardless of entertainment value. curious to see more reviews from regular folks.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:26 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,222,517 times
Here is a good review, from the libertarian/conservative perspective. From what we have been hearing so far, those on the right like the film because it is relavant to what is happening today in the nation, and it strikes a chord in them. Those on the left reject its message and say that the film is not very good from an entertainment value. As expected, most reviews have have not been good.
Brian Calle: ‘Atlas Shrugged’ on screen still rings true | government, society, rearden - Opinion - The Orange County Register

Old 04-17-2011, 09:36 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Here is a good review, from the libertarian/conservative perspective. From what we have been hearing so far, those on the right like the film because it is relavant to what is happening today in the nation, and it strikes a chord in them. Those on the left reject its message and say that the film is not very good from an entertainment value. As expected, most reviews have have not been good.
Brian Calle: ‘Atlas Shrugged’ on screen still rings true | government, society, rearden - Opinion - The Orange County Register
I am sorry, you don't get to claim reason.com and P.J. O'Rourke as being on the left. Both have reviewed the movie, both dislike it.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:40 AM

817 posts, read 2,188,621 times
I saw several people on another (admittedly conservative) forum post reviews of the movie. Four of them said the audience applauded at the end.

No doubt, there were probably also a few libs who walked out grumbling.

I probably won't see it until I can buy it from Walmart's $5 bin.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:52 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
I saw several people on another (admittedly conservative) forum post reviews of the movie. Four of them said the audience applauded at the end.
I was at the opening of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie, people applauded that as well. For the die-hard fans, it's sometimes enough to see the movie being made. Of course, once sober judgment set in, the market recognized the HHGTG movie as being simply a bad piece of movie-making.

We'll see. I predict the DVD will be the free gift for signing up for a NewsMax or WorldNetDaily subscription within 3, perhaps 6, months.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:28 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,170,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post

No doubt, there were probably also a few libs who walked out grumbling.

I probably won't see it until I can buy it from Walmart's $5 bin.
They applauded in my theater. Made me want to read the book.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:31 AM

817 posts, read 2,188,621 times
The book is good, but I had to scan over most of Galt's 60 page speech toward the end. It really could've used some editing. Someone who saw the movie said that they compressed some parts from the book though, so you may get more out of the book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies