Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 04:41 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times

Advertisements

I thought it was very good, myself ~ loved it. But, then, I tend to like period movies. Can't say that it's on my list of favorites. I prefer "Far & Away", another period piece with Nicole and Cruise before they got married. But it's even longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 09:20 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,145,622 times
It was good when it came out but now its only an OK movie. The only part that got me was when the ship when down, I mean after all of the years that people spent building the ship with all of its fine detail then it hits an ice burg and sinks. That just gotta **** you off and make you feel heart broken. And people who control the Titanic got really pissed off at James Cameron after they found out that he damaged the ship with an rov several times while filming for the movie.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:43 AM

520 posts, read 1,006,451 times
The movie was decent and very long. But, IMHO, I think the script was well done and kept my attention; unlike that God-awful "Avatar".

Actually, I watch it most times when it's on television (about 30 times a year along with Forest Gump) as the 200 movie channels I have never seem to show anything good. I'm flipping in and out of it, though.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:34 PM

34 posts, read 76,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmith365 View Post
But, IMHO, I think the script was well done and kept my attention; unlike that God-awful "Avatar".
Totally agree... I had to force myself to finish Avatar. It's like a kid wrote that script.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,536 times
"Titanic was okay..." on this day with earthquakes in Japan and thousands of lives being lost in 28' tidal waves I reminded of how those 1500 souls must a felt trapped aboard what was supposed to be the safest ship in the world. (it actually had 20% more lifeboats than were required by law) They went to bed that night after 4 days of perfect weather and were told they had less than 2 hours to live. Comparing this story to LA Confidential? The story behind Titanic was a real event told through two fictitious characters for the sole purpose of showing us the emotional impact of the event. LA Confidential made 126 million worldwide. Titanic made 1.835 Billion and tied for the most academy awards ever.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:44 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,553,960 times
I didn't like it then and I'm sure I wouldn't like it now. Kate Winslet was great as always, though.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:43 PM

646 posts, read 1,639,428 times
I think it's a beautiful film. It is much like the great epics of our time such as Lawrence of Arabia or Doctor Zhivago in that it has a massive scale, an extraordinary cast, brilliant special effects and a remarkable story that is both wonderful and emotionally devastating at the same time. I love how the film is bookended by the treasure hunter Bill Paxton and that the majority of the film is a flashback. The part that gets me every time is after all the tragedy has occurred and we are in the present time with the older Rose, we go back one more time to Titanic and see all the characters again looking marvelous and then Rose climbs the stairs next to the clock and Leo is there waiting for her and they are together again. Such a fantastic moment and a beautiful way to end the film.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:52 AM

2 posts, read 2,079 times
Titanic is my favorite movie. I always like this movie and I watch this movie again and again.

download limitless
download Winter in wartime

Old 03-18-2011, 02:49 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Oh please. Don't write the movie off becoz it's a cool thing to do now. There's this whole troop of "I don't like Titanic" characters and they think they are more intellectual

The movie brought post-Victorian Britain back to life. The disparity of the rich and the poor, and scenes of fleeing to the new burgeoning Americas for a better life.

Billy Zane was my favourite character. There's no hiding the fact that I love movie villains, becoz they bring the best character to any movie. He portrayed the arrogant Brit posh guy very well. Then Frances McDormand, the sucker and fake British lady who pawns her daughter off for a better life for herself - a ton of such women existed in Britain.

And of course, you have to see the destruction part on a big screen. My favourite part is when the violin and cello band stops the music and starts to play the funeral tune. It was chilling, shocking and so heart wrenching, you will know the feeling if you have been to Christian funerals.

I never cared for Leo. But in hindsight, given his outstanding acting in Inception, Aviator, Body of Lies, Blood Diamond etc., he was pretty okay.

And of course, the stark differences in upper class partying in the upper part of the ship and the poor people's party downstairs. The movie just brings the world's disparity to life.
You have raised an excellent point on an otherwise commercially generated film.

I agree!

Old 03-19-2011, 08:32 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,311,609 times
Yes, the love story was very unrealistic. Upper class young women of the time were not given the freedom that young women of today have. Rose would not have been able to spend much time with Jack. The women were very chaperoned. Even though it was unrealistic, it is very touching...and I like the movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies