Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2013, 07:05 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystMoonstruck View Post

Just in case anyone hasn't heard of this genuinely cult film:
The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra (2001) - IMDb
Best movie ever. Have you seen the sequel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 07:13 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,230,381 times
No, I haven't gotten to see the sequel, only a couple of clips from it. Hooray! Animala returns! *giggle*

This is so much fun to watch that I am peeved at myself for not taping it when I finally got to see it. Now, I'm watching for it to turn up again.

I LOVE the sequel title: "The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra Returns Again!" *snicker* I've heard some debate over whether it's as good as the first, but I'm sure it will be a lot of fun.

The Lost Skeleton Returns Again - Trailer - YouTube

Being an ADHDer who is (not surprisingly) distracted/attracted by bright objects, I love this clip:

Shiny! -- The Lost Skeleton Returns Again - YouTube
I want to know how she came back. Hmmm... Did the aliens leave the transmutatron? Did he round up the same four forest creatures (none of which seem responsible for her felineness)?

P.S. "Tip. Tip. Tip. Tip."

Last edited by MystMoonstruck; 01-13-2013 at 07:23 PM..

Old 01-14-2013, 06:12 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,678,559 times
Arn Knights Templar and Arn 2 the sequel.
Arn

Old 01-14-2013, 06:10 PM

I know. I know. You're probably tired of me hauling out obscurities. However, they're my favorite kind. As far back as I can recall, I've been drawn to movies that others didn't want to watch or did then forgot about. I would collect clippings, generally bits about them, then watch for them to show up on TV. They're the ones I videotaped, not the ones you can see anytime you want. Here are some more:

Fragment of Fear (1970) - IMDb ~ From IMDb: Reformed drug addict (David Hemmings) travels to Italy to find out who murdered his aunt (Flora Robson). This reminds me in some ways of Hemmings' enigmatic "Blowup" aka "Blow Up" though it doesn't seem to be mentioned ever. I've never heard anyone else talk about it.

Un tranquillo posto di campagna (1968) - IMDb aka A Quiet Place in the Country ~ From IMDb review: This is a truly bizarre study of madness, which reminds me Polanski's "Repulsion" (1965).The main character~a painter brilliantly played by Franco Nero~is trying to run away from his strange visions. He visits an old mansion to find peace, quiet and inspiration, but it seems that this place is haunted by the ghost of a young girl. He slowly loses his sanity. This unjustly forgotten and rather disturbing horror film is a cinematic pleasure to watch for fans of bizarre Italian cinema. The characters are really weird, the musical score by Ennio Morricone is unforgettable, and there are some genuine moments of insanity and creepiness. Elio Petri created an unique film which should be seen by everybody (not only by horror fans!). // I thank TCM for showing this one, and I'm so happy that I videotaped it, as it demands at least a second look.

The Iron Rose (1973) - IMDb aka La rose de fer ~ From IMDb: A young couple out for a walk decide to take a stroll through a large cemetery. As darkness begins to fall they realize they can't find their way out, and soon their fears begin to overtake them. // This is another one served up late one night by TCM and another I was happy to have recorded.

The Iron Rose (trailer) La Rose de fer - YouTube

The Island at the Top of the World (1974) - IMDb ~ From IMDb: Four turn-of-the-century explorers embark on an airship expedition to the high arctic, where they find a lost colony of Vikings. // I admit that, when I heard the title, I figured that this one one of those E.R. Burroughs-based films filled with papier-mache creatures with guys inside, the ones poor Peter Cushing took roles in, ones in which the hero was Doug McClure or other such B-list actor. Well, actually, it's David Hartman in this, so it's not a big step up there. One night, I decided to watch this on YouTube. WOW! Was I astonished! Why didn't anyone ever mention how epic this old-style adventure is? Does anyone remember it? I even found myself rewatching some scenes a couple of times and definitely plan to revisit it. Yet, I never see it aired on television, and I can't recall anyone mentioning this in all of my years at movie Q&A sites. Since it's a Walt Disney production, that's especially surprising. I wish I'd seen it in the theater. / Uh oh! It looks as if it might not be on YouTube anymore. *sigh* Here's the trailer:

The Island at the Top of the World (trailer) - YouTube

Old 01-15-2013, 01:52 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystMoonstruck View Post
'The Triple Echo' is a film I saw when first released. I have never seen it since, but remember it well. It was a very unusual little film, starring two people who were big stars at the time. I still remember the scene where Oliver Reed has the boy/girl pinned against a wall, and Oliver Reeds face in close up as he realises he has got a man, not a woman, literally in his hands! Great, unusual movie.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:18 AM

Yes! I agree! Just one viewing, and I was riveted by the movie. I wasn't sure I'd ever see it again and was so pleased that it held up for me. Once upon a time, Glenda Jackson was such a major star, and it's sad that she's not better known anymore. The lady tackled everything: historical/period works, dramas of sometimes a very controversial nature, and wonderful comedies:
Negatives (1968) - IMDb ~ I'm not sure if I ever listed this one. I saw it twice long, long ago, but many scenes remain in my mind. I do recall it being quite offbeat, which was a sign of those times.
Women in Love (1969) - IMDb ~ I always have to tell people that the title is NOT what they think. *snicker* You'd think it would be better known if only for the fireside wrestling match of Oliver Reed and Alan Bates. She won her first Best Actress Oscar for this.
The Music Lovers (1970) - IMDb ~ Ken Russell + Glorious Glenda + Richard Chamberlain as Tchaikovsky = WOW!
Sunday Bloody Sunday (1971) - IMDb ~ Oh my...
Mary, Queen of Scots (1971) - IMDb ~ Glenda with one of her portrayals of Queen Elizabeth I and Vanessa Redgrave as Mary Queen of Scots, with future James Bond Timothy Dalton thrown into the royal intrigue
A Touch of Class (1973) - IMDb ~ This was such a HUGE hit, with a number of Oscar nominations and Glenda winning Best Actress. Yet, how many people remember it? It was so popular, they tried it again: George Segal returning to co-star with her in "Lost and Found" (1979). Unfortunately, lightning didn't strike twice.
Nasty Habits (1977) - IMDb ~ I haven't seen this one aired since the late Seventies. Surely it must be out there somewhere!
She really deserves to be remembered for these and the other great roles. I've heard that she went into politics and other interests. Otherwise, like Oliver Reed, Maggie Smith and others from that generation, I'll bet she'd still be going strong, landing some more great roles and maybe more nominations.

Sorry! I didn't mean to go on and on, but the films above do seem to be getting lost.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:28 AM

Glenda Jackson is a serving member of Parliament, and is now 76 years old. She walked away from showbusiness 20 years ago to be a MP. She has never shown any inclination to return to a film career, although I would guess, she has had many offers.

She was a great actress, and if still acting, would probably be competing with Maggie Smith for the old bat roles!!

Old 01-15-2013, 02:51 AM

Oh my! I hadn't done any reading about her though I should have. I never imagined that happening for her, but she seemed a real powerhouse. I really will have to read up on her. I was such a fan, especially being a fellow redhead. She had such an amazing range as an actress and tackled just about anything. *giggle* "old bat roles" indeed!

While we have some very good actors and actresses, I do prefer the days of the "British Invasion" and when international stars came here. I think how few people I rely on for solid performances. We used to be spoiled with so many! I hope threads such as this and the other one about obscure films will revive interest in the films and actors. I enjoy sharing my favorites that might not get a mention otherwise. I hope people don't think I'm overdoing it.

Just to be sure this is completely on-topic, here are a few more titles:
The Girl on a Motorcycle (1968) - IMDb ~ Marianne Faithfull and Alain Delon on bikes, with a heckuva finish
Girl with Green Eyes (1964) - IMDb ~ Rita Tushingham!
These Are the Damned (1963) - IMDb ~ Oliver Reed again in a very bleak sci fi film
The Jokers (1967) - IMDb ~ Michael Crawford and~again~Oliver Reed as brothers who decide to steal the crown jewels from the Tower of London
You're a Big Boy Now (1966) - IMDb ~ For a short while, Peter Kastner was "flavor of the month". Does anyone remember "The Ugliest Girl in Town"~post-"Some Like It Hot" and pre-"Bosom Buddies"?

Old 01-15-2013, 05:04 AM

A film I remember fondly is 'Dulcima' (1971) starring the 'Battersea Bardot' Carol White. The film was about an old farmer (John Mills) falling in love with a young girl, and the tragic events that followed.

Carol White is totally forgotten now, but for a while was considered in the Julie Christie class. She made an impression first in a television play called 'Cathy Come Home' about a family made homeless. Then followed that with a very well received movie called 'Poor Cow' in 1967.

She was given the big build up for her American debut in a movie called 'Daddies gone a'hunting' in 1969. This film failed, and she never reached the heights again. She died in 1991 only 48 years old, after years of personal problems.

She may be forgotten by most, but not by me!

Old 01-15-2013, 05:50 AM

This thread has got me thinking now! I used to be quite obsessive with my movie going in my youth!

I would watch certain movies many times..... one such was 'Man Of LaMancha' (1972) starring Peter O'Toole and Sophia Loren. Back in those days, unlike now, movies could run for months in London before going on general release. At the time, I was living in Chatham in Kent. It was an hour on the train into London. I decided I really liked this film, and over a period of a few weeks, I would catch the train at night to go watch this not very well received movie. In fact it was a flop!!

I thought Peter O'Toole was just great playing Don Quixote, and I thought 'To Dream The Impossible Dream' was a great tune. If I was ever to meet him, I would say, "guess which is my favourite film of yours?" He would probably look bored, and reply, "Lawrence of Arabia?" "Nope, Man Of LaMancha" I'd reply!

Don't even ask me how many times I went seeing 'Barbarella' (1968) starring Jane Fonda........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies