Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 03:12 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times

Advertisements

I agree, Ben Affleck is a waste of film. He's an empirically good-looking guy, but I can't find him attractive at all. He's wooden and not believable in any onscreen romance.

I agree that Lauren Bacall really seemed to love Bogie, but I never bought that he felt anything. I like him as a detective, but I never really see him show what looks like love.

Maybe it's that 1940s style of acting. I tend to think that a lot of couples in those old films are just acting, like they're on a stage, and not really feeling anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 03:27 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Angelina and Johnny Depp were pretty unbelievable in the Tourist.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:34 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
Renee Zellweger and Ed Harris in Appaloosa. Just Awful.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:48 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Julia Roberts and Nick Nolte in I Love Trouble.

Brad Pitt and Julia Roberts in The Mexican.

Julia Robers and Campbell Scott in Dying Young.

Julia Roberts and John Malkovich in Mary Reilly.

Harrison Ford and Anne Heche in Six Days, Seven Nights.

Jodie Foster and Matthiew McConaughey in Contact.

Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt in As Good As It Gets.

Any movie where the leading man is 40 years older than his leading lady.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:47 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Maybe it's that 1940s style of acting. I tend to think that a lot of couples in those old films are just acting, like they're on a stage, and not really feeling anything.
Thank you, Method Acting. The philosophy that saved movies.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:23 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
I don't know anything about acting or all the different philosophies of it, but in the old days, they did seem to have an "on-stage" arificial quality. It doesn't make me not like old movies, but the experience is different, and I don't feel as emotionally involved. Well, maybe It's a Wonderful Life might be the exception.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:11 PM

76 posts, read 97,943 times
kevin costner in anything...but him and kurt russel in 3000 miles to grace land were pretty good at hateing eachother...

kevin costner and jennifer aniston in rumour has it.....jennifer aniston and vince vaun...

well really anything with vince vaun....autum in new york, wionia ridder and richard gere....

richard gere and jennifer lopez...shall we dance...adan sandler in click...kate was still good, but he was bringing her down....colin farrel...he plays the roles of douch, tool, dick, and assh0le so well...tyreese...cant stand him...and that other douch with him in transformers...fergies husband???

just about every one of keanu reeves movies...i like about 3 and a half...most of saundra b., i did like lake house..that was a shocker...anything ice cube did that wasnt rated "r"....and may i just say..WTF eddie murphy..

jamie kennedy...hes ok on ghost whisper...

Old 02-27-2011, 09:57 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile Didn't feel the chemistry

So many already mentioned but -

Annette Bening and Julianna Moore in The Kid's are AlRight. Felt too forced.

I mean, just fade to black. We get the idea.

In all movies, sometimes the imagination is better just like in Gone With The Wind, when Rhett carries Scarlett upstairs and then it goes dark and you see her wake up the next morning - it's just so romantic! IMO.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:12 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Will Smith and Eva Mendes in Hitch. I don't know - maybe I just don't like Eva Mendes... I loved the other couple in Hitch, though. That's the only reason I still watch that movie.

I'll tell you who I think is the best matched couple - George Clooney and Brad Pitt! They have the best chemistry in the Ocean's 11 movies. I don't see the "amazing" chemistry between Pitt and Jolie in Mr. and Mrs. Smith because I think his chemistry with George Clooney is so much better!

Old 02-28-2011, 12:44 PM

76 posts, read 97,943 times
did you like eve mendas in spirit?? i really liked her in that, and scarlett johanson..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies