Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 07:06 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,392,943 times

Advertisements

I'm not a big follower of the Oscars, but from what I understand a lot of people have been saying that she deserved it because she's been nominated a lot of years and it's "long overdue."

And another person I know commented very sarcastically that "Natalie Portman reeeeally deserves it after such an extensive body of work."

The way I see it, it's a clean slate every year. Whichever actor gives the best performance that year deserves to get it, plain and simple, regardless of age, longevity of career/nominations, race, etc. etc. And if Annette Bening gave a second-rate performance, according to the Oscar committee, year after year after year, well then.... *shrug*

Sure, one can passionately argue that a few of those years she truly DID deserve it... but I say that's what you get for investing yourself so deeply in someone else's glorified opinion. (a.k.a. award committees/award voters... whomever these people are.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 07:08 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,507,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
I'm not a big follower of the Oscars, but from what I understand a lot of people have been saying that she deserved it because she's been nominated a lot of years and it's "long overdue."
I had not heard that. I do think she deserved it because her performance in The Kid's Are Alright was brilliant.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:14 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,008,065 times
The Oscars are a popularity contest. It's not always just about a particular performance.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:15 AM

20,948 posts, read 18,972,974 times
No.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:15 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,392,943 times
I just can't see giving someone an award just because they've had years of nominations and it's "long overdue." So.... that means that someone else, say a newcomer, may have been more deserving that particular year, but isn't going to get it, because it's time to give the "old-timer" their due? That would serve to invalidate the entire ceremony even further.

(I think award shows are already pretty irrelevant anyway. Justin Bieber, Grammys? Really? Not Debbie Gibson back in the '80s, who actually wrote all her own songs, many of which were pretty good?)

Old 02-28-2011, 10:04 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,537,436 times
I hadn't heard that either, but lots of great actresses, actors & directors never won an Oscar, yet remain very much respected for their respective careers, and Ms. Bening is certainly among them.

She was a prohibitive favorite to win in 1999 for 'American Beauty', preventing that film from winning the Oscar 'grand slam' (Picture/Director/Actor/Actress/Screenplay), but lost to Hilary Swank.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:06 AM

29,627 posts, read 34,103,329 times
Quote:
I just can't see giving someone an award just because they've had years of nominations and it's "long overdue."
It happens, though. for example, lot of people thought Denzel Washington got his Oscar for Training Day because he was snubbed for The Hurricane. Which means that someone who may have been more deserving that year lost out, so the cycle continues.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:13 PM

4,931 posts, read 10,600,925 times
I've never understood the hooplah surrounding Annette Benning. She's a good actress but nothing extraordinary.

It just seems that Hollywood wants to consistently pick actors and actresses for Lifetime Achievement awards b/c they always have to be doing something new; the amount of awards they already have for themselves is ridiculous and has more to do with boredom than merit.

Just b/c Benning is older than most actresses and still in the game doesn't mean she deserves an award for it; I would have thought that the million-dollar paycheck would be sufficient. If she deserves an Oscar and has never gotten one, then just give her one; that's what they're there for. No need to develop an entirely new category of awards.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:17 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It happens, though. for example, lot of people thought Denzel Washington got his Oscar for Training Day because he was snubbed for The Hurricane. Which means that someone who may have been more deserving that year lost out, so the cycle continues.
Yes, that year Russell Crowe was completely robbed.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:46 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,537,436 times
Art Carney's Oscar for 1974's 'Harry & Tonto' is certainly among the biggest swindles ever; Jack Nicholson should have won for 'Chinatown', and the other three Best Actor nominees that year (Dustin Hoffman' for Lenny, Al Pacino for 'The Godfather, Part II, and Peter Ustinov for 'Murder On The Orient Express') were also substantially superiors to Carney's performance, IMHO.

The fact that Gene Hackman's stellar performance in 'The Conversation' was snubbed in favor of Carney's nomination was beyond disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies