Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 04:03 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,124,133 times

Advertisements

Meeting Kurtz (Apocalypse Now) - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 06:58 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
Weird, I was just thinking of that one. The "horror" speech is great.

I like "General Corman: Well, you see, Willard, in this war, things get confused out there. Power, ideals, the old morality, and practical military necessity. But out there with these natives, it must be a temptation to be God. Because there's a conflict in every human heart, between the rational and irration, between good and evil. And good does not always triumph. Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature. "

SO many good quotes from that movie....

Old 02-14-2013, 07:00 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
I like this one from Stripes:

Stripes Parade Prep Speech.wmv - YouTube

Old 02-14-2013, 08:11 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
This is the best thread, ever. A walk down memory lane and it was all good. thx to all of you ! I will revisit this thread many times......

Old 02-15-2013, 06:36 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,231,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
A lot of movies have some sort of central message or theme. But I'm talking about more the pieces of dialog that they individually struck home enough with you to be remembered. Some few sentences that expressed a feeling or thought for you.
I was just watching Hope Floats and there were 2

When the Mother says something
You think life goes on forever? You think behind every chance there's another chance and another one and another one? It's the worse kind of extravagance the way you spend your chances, Birdee.

Bittersweet, I wish someone had yelled that at me when I was young.

Second - the short 'speech' by Harry Connick's character when he's talking about why he paints houses and not carpentry for hire. I couldn't find it in a movie quote but he basically is saying how when you try to do something you love for money and you squeeze it and twist it till its not something you love anymore. I found that sort of profound and see that when people try to make money doing something the love and then that thing ends up suffering.

Anyone else have little things jump out at them as profound or meaningfull?
Yes, I find both of those meaningful. Great movie

Old 02-15-2013, 08:12 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,229,601 times
Doubt (2008)
Father Brendan Flynn:
"A woman was gossiping with her friend about a man whom they hardly knew. I know none of you have ever done this. That night, she had a dream: A great hand appeared over her and pointed down on her. She was immediately seized with an overwhelming sense of guilt. The next day, she went to confession. She got the old parish priest, Father O' Rourke, and she told him the whole thing. 'Is gossiping a sin?' she asked the old man. 'Was that God All Mighty's hand pointing down at me? Should I ask for your absolution? Father, have I done something wrong?' 'Yes,' Father O' Rourke answered her. 'Yes, you ignorant, badly-brought-up female. You have blamed false witness on your neighbor. You played fast and loose with his reputation, and you should be heartily ashamed.' So, the woman said she was sorry and asked for forgiveness. 'Not so fast,' says O' Rourke. 'I want you to go home, take a pillow upon your roof, cut it open with a knife, and return here to me.' So, the woman went home, took a pillow off her bed, a knife from the drawer, went up the fire escape to her roof, and stabbed the pillow. Then she went back to the old parish priest as instructed. 'Did you gut the pillow with a knife?' he says. 'Yes, Father.' 'And what were the results?' 'Feathers,' she said. 'Feathers?' he repeated. 'Feathers everywhere, Father.' 'Now I want you to go back and gather up every last feather that flew out onto the wind,' 'Well,' she said, 'it can't be done. I don't know where they went. The wind took them all over.' 'And that,' said Father O' Rourke, 'is gossip!'"

Old 02-16-2013, 11:50 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,708,833 times
1) The speech with Clint Eastwood in the church in Million Dolllar Baby
2) The speech with Mel Gibson in Braveheart

Old 02-17-2013, 07:34 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,186 times
This monologue by Jack Nicholson in FIVE EASY PIECES was particularly powerful to me.

"Are you cold? I don't know if you'd be.. particularly interested in hearing anything about me. My life, I mean... most of it doesn't add up to much that I could relate as a way of life that you'd approve of. I move around a lot. Not because I'm looking for anything really, but, because... I'm getting away from things that get bad... when I stay. Auspicious beginnings, you know what I mean? I'm trying to imagine your half of this conversation. My feeling is I don't know that if you could talk we wouldn't be talking..."

Jack Nicholson: Five Easy Pieces ("Life You Don't Approve") Monologue - YouTube

Old 02-18-2013, 08:12 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,578,834 times
From When Harry Met Sally, Harry speaking:

"I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."

So true. When you've been dilly-dallying over something and finally make a decision, you don't want to delay things any longer.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:28 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,960,523 times
This movie in my option in is one of the most moving made. Based on a true story/actual events . This speech sums up for me what this movie is about.

Leonard Lowe (Robert De Niro) - The Wonderment Of Life (Awakenings 1990) - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies