Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 01:43 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times

Advertisements

I didn't get a chance to see this opening weekend. I was wondering if anyone else did and if they are willing to share their opinion of it. It looks good but I am often wrong about such things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 01:48 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,675,499 times
Didnt see it but 69% on rotten tomatoes is not too shabby

Old 03-10-2011, 09:29 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,324,722 times
I saw it and it was a descent flick. I like Matt and Emily. They did a good job, but I don't think this will win any Oscar nomination, but I could be wrong... Doubtful thought LOL I would recommend seeing it though.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:22 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,161,429 times
Matt Damon is a talented actor who always gets snubbed by the Academy. I loved this movie - we have so few 'thinking' movies these days. Matt and Emily had great chemistry! I highly recommend it.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:32 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,622,555 times
I would like to see it but was put off by a film critic likening it to "Inception" which I loathed with a passion. Is it in the same vein ? I am a big Emily Blunt and Matt Damon fan so really want to like it !

Old 03-11-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I would like to see it but was put off by a film critic likening it to "Inception" which I loathed with a passion. Is it in the same vein ? I am a big Emily Blunt and Matt Damon fan so really want to like it !
I hate the fact that some critics compared it to 'Inception'. While I liked that movie as well, this one was NOTHING like Inception. The only however slight similiarity would be some of the effects. Go see it!! It's also based on a Phillip K. Dick story (one of the greatest Sci-Fi writers ever imho).

Old 03-14-2011, 09:30 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
This movie was average. Average script, average plot, average acting. I wasn't disappointed when I left the theater, but I won't be renting this movie on Netflix either. It might be worth a second watch if I'm sitting around bored on a Saturday afternoon and I happen to see it on one of the cable channels. This one will get stored away in my memory with all of the other average, unremarkable films I've seen over the years.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:11 AM

I'm just curious - what would you consider an above average script and plot (this was based on a Phillip K. Dick story)? And acting? I felt that ALL of the acting was very good and believable. This movie was a unique combination of sci-fi and romance. Loved it.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:12 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
I'm just curious - what would you consider an above average script and plot (this was based on a Phillip K. Dick story)? And acting? I felt that ALL of the acting was very good and believable. This movie was a unique combination of sci-fi and romance. Loved it.
Let me think about this...

The Script: I thought it was average because there were no lines or dialogue that really stood out. It wasn't bad; it wasn't good. It was average. An example of a very good, well-written script, imo, is Sherlock Holmes. For example, the police officer in Sherlock Holmes says, "In another life, Holmes, you would make an excellent criminal." Holmes replies, "Yes, and you an excellent policeman." That movie was replete with clever, witty lines like that. The King's Speech is another movie that had a great script. I also thought the scripts from Ocean's 11 and 12 were very good.

Matt Damon: Can I ask you a question...You ever notice that...
Brad Pitt: If you're gonna ask if you can ask me a question, give me time to respond. Unless you're asking rhetorically, in which case the answer is obvious - yes.
Matt Damon: Okay, so can I ask...
Brad Pitt: Yes.

Haha. That's excellent writing, imo.

Plot: David Norris is a politician. Someone has BIG PLANS for him. But a certain woman can mess it all up. Not only that, he has the potential to mess up her plan as well. But they fight for love, and take the ultimate risk, and define their own destiny. Okay, that's not bad, but it's not a great plot either. I didn't know what to expect going into the theater, but I expected the "Adjustment Bureau" to be something far more sinister, sorta like the Manchurian Candidate.

My example of a great plot would be the Godfather, where you see Michael Corleone transform from a naive, Ivy League student, to a jaded, hardened gangster who kills his brother and alienates his family, and finally to an old, remorseful man who loses the thing that matters most to him and dies a lonely death. Fight Club has an excellent plot, too. I also enjoyed Sommersby, which is based on an old French story. Very good plot.

Acting: The acting was pretty good, but nothing Oscar worthy. It's not like these roles were a stretch for Damon or Blunt. Take, for example, Ving Rhames in Heartbreak Hotel, where he played a homosexual drag queen. This is the same Ving Rhames who played an incarcerated heavyweight fighter in Undisputed with Wesley Snipes. That's called range. It took a helluva job for Rhames to pull that role off in Heartbreak Hotel. The roles in the Adjustment Bureau didn't really require a whole lot; there were no really dramatic scenes or anything. It was just a decent, fun flick.

I'd give the movie a B overall. It was a somewhat fun movie to watch, but it didn't leave a strong impression on me.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:34 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,675,499 times
Good lines mate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies