Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 08:21 PM

126 posts, read 102,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/red-dawn-logo-tagline.jpg (broken link)

MGM’s upcoming remake of Red Dawn was supposed to hit theaters in 2010, but the studio’s well-documented bankruptcy saga effectively put all of the projects they had in the pipeline on hold.

Since its recent restructuring, MGM has pushed high-profile projects like The Hobbit, Bond 23, and the RoboCop reboot back into development – but there’s been no official confirmation of when films that were completed before the company filed for Chapter 11 will be released.

Red Dawn will likely hit theaters at some point this year, but the film (which wrapped production in 2009) has one more significant alteration to undergo before it will be ready to hit theaters. The original 1984 film featured a group of small-town teenagers in America’s heartland taking a stand against Soviet invaders – but with the disintegration of the U.S.S.R. in 1991, producers initially decided that Chinese assailants would be more appropriate for the remake.

According to the LA Times, the filmmakers have decided to change the villains yet again. Instead of the Chinese, North Korean soldiers will now invade the U.S. in the Red Dawn remake. The switch was made in an effort to give the film greater box office appeal in China – which has become one of the most profitable markets for American movies.

Around the time MGM first delayed the release of Red Dawn, a Chinese newspaper called the Global Times expressed concerns that the film would demonize their state and its citizens (thanks in part to certain leaked images from the set). Evidently, this may have been a factor in scaring off potential distributors who were apprehensive about what effect their involvement with the film would have on future dealings with China.

So without any official complaints from the Chinese government, MGM will spend $1 million to construct a new opening sequence, re-edit several scenes, and digitally change Chinese symbols into Korean. It may sound somewhat ridiculous, but the fact of the matter is that the studio really had no alternative. If the film fails to secure distribution, it could wind up going straight to video – or being permanently shelved.

http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/red-dawn-2010-cast-photo.jpg (broken link)

Interestingly, the video game Homefront (which was written by John Milius, the screenwriter of the original Red Dawn) recently underwent a similar change – THQ decided to swap out the game’s Chinese invaders for North Korean forces instead.

Even though China currently only permits around 20 non-Chinese films to be released there each year, they’re still the fifth largest box office market outside of the United States. Had Red Dawn opened in its original incarnation, many believe that a backlash would have been inevitable and that the film’s premise was flawed and problematic from the start.

Producer Tripp Vinson believes that the changes will make the Red Dawn remake “smarter and more dangerous”, but I have to admit that the idea of North Korea invading the U.S. seems a bit more farfetched to me. However, this is obviously a business decision above all else and it sounds like without these alterations, Red Dawn might never see the light of day.
Source: ‘Red Dawn’ Villains Switched from China to North Korea - Screen Rant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 09:10 PM

3 posts, read 5,146 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIzE3j84kKU&feature=more_related

Old 03-19-2011, 09:22 PM

3 posts, read 5,146 times
Default dat gurl is dead,our gov't is our own worst enemy.The invasion is coming up from the South

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jN5vqEyV7g

Old 03-20-2011, 05:45 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
They gotta be kidding, North Korea invading America.

If it were a comedy that's one thing, but to use the same premise as the original Red Dawn they might as well shelve it....

How would the North Koreans even get to America? row boats?

Old 03-21-2011, 05:36 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
Well keep in mind North Koreas military 2 years ago was 1 million strong with over 5 million reservists. To compare that, 2 years ago USA had roughly 1.5 million with 1.5 million reservists

Old 03-21-2011, 07:41 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
They gotta be kidding, North Korea invading America.

If it were a comedy that's one thing, but to use the same premise as the original Red Dawn they might as well shelve it....

How would the North Koreans even get to America? row boats?
Makes as much sense as having China invading America. They aren't going to come here and give up all that phat cash they are getting by making all our crap.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:50 AM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Well it's nice to see that the rebel fighters in the small town are ethnically diverse and that all the gals are hot.

I'm thinking I will probably just watch Super Anaconda vs. Giant Aardvark.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:57 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well it's nice to see that the rebel fighters in the small town are ethnically diverse and that all the gals are hot.

I'm thinking I will probably just watch Super Anaconda vs. Giant Aardvark.

Lol i watched sharktopus vs something or other on sci fy. It had to be the worst movie i had ever seen until some alligator vs snake movie came on after it.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:21 PM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Lol i watched sharktopus vs something or other on sci fy. It had to be the worst movie i had ever seen until some alligator vs snake movie came on after it.
Danger Island is arguably my favorite bad movie of all time. My roomate and I were flipping channels back 15+ years ago and it came on....we were almost rolling on the floor.

Danger Island (TV 1992) - IMDb

Old 03-21-2011, 12:36 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,489,416 times
Wolverines!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies