Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2011, 10:40 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,273,306 times

Advertisements

Great Thread! I've got some new movies that I've added to my Netflix list.

Here's some that haven't been added:

The Changeling (George C. Scott) - super creepy

The Sixth Sense - OK not the scariest but it did have some moments that made me jump!

Silence of the Lambs - Anthony Hopkins ROCKS

The Exorcism of Emily Rose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 05:50 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post

And hands down the scariest horror film of all time is The Exorcist. It was way ahead of its time, when it was released in 1973 theaters provided barf bags to throw up in to customers watching the film...
I find most people who think PA was scary haven't really seen a lot of the classic horror films.
I don't have that many to go by because the Exorcist was way too much for me! The music Tubular Bells...oh no
A boyfriend insisted on taking me to the Omen - I walked out and sat in a different movie.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:02 PM

12 posts, read 12,790 times
Default Impossible Question...

Scary/ horror movies never accomplish the goal with me. But, I love trying to find one that will.

I don't think the movies mentioned that were seen when the replier was a child should count. What child doesn't scare easily?
I'd like to know how many would site the same movie if re-watched as an adult.

I can't think of one movie that gets to me after the first time of seeing it.

I think I may have missed a couple of pages of thread, but I don't these have been mentioned:

Stir of Echos
Case 39
Grudge (Has been mentioned but warranted one more)
The Crazies

Old 08-06-2011, 06:18 PM

311 posts, read 467,288 times
The originals of When a Stranger Calls & Last house on the Left, scary because they are so realistic.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:13 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,678,559 times
I cant remember seeing a horror movie that was scary to me as an adult. I thought sixth sense was creepy though. Its about the closest I have gotten to being scared.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:28 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBing View Post
I guess l'm alone on this one, but I saw The Exorcist when I was a kid and thought it was slow moving and boring. I've seen it a few more times over the years and still think it's slow moving and boring. It takes forever to get going and when Regan turns possessed, it's a bit comical, vulgar, and over the top.
You are not alone.
And I don't think that movie has aged well at all.
For scariness, I prefer suspense and tension to blood or vomit spattering everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post

The Changeling (George C. Scott) - super creepy
The above movie, The Changeling, is the one I usually post as a favorite in scary movie threads. It gets a little bit hokey towards the end, but for the most part is edge-of-the-seat spooky suspense. On top of that, it is based on a supposedly true story that happened in Denver. Writer Russell Hunter had some very interesting experiences while living in the Henry Treat Rogers Mansion.
Story ~ scroll down

Other movies that shook me up were It ("We *all* float!"), The Ring (didn't much care for the Japanese original) and the very end of Blair Witch Project. I certainly agree with Sandra that maybe The Sixth Sense was not the scariest, but it did have its moments.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:56 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Wait Until Dark - The suspense nearly did me in.
That movie still makes me jump

I was extremely unsettled by two adapations of Thomas Tryon books:
"The Other" and "Harvest Home"
Also:
"Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte"
"What Ever Happened to Baby Jane"
"The Uninvited (1944)"
"The Spiral Staircase (1946)"

all time scariest for me is that Karen Black episode of "Trilogy of Terror" - the one with the doll.
And, Kim Darby's "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark"

This may sound funny, but the most suspenseful recent movie for me was 'Unstoppable."
None of the new horror stuff does it for me. Doesn't get into my head enough.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:12 PM

672 posts, read 2,113,743 times
The Fourth Kind and No Country For Old Men are two recent movies that scared the bejeezus out of me. It didn't help that I watched both alone, in the dark, in a house in the middle of nowhere.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:23 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,709 times
The Exorcist (original).
Evil Dead
Faces of Death (I tried watching a few years ago but shut if off and took it back to the video store).

Old 08-16-2011, 12:22 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,758 times
The Excorcist, just scared the s*&t out of me when I was a kid, couldnt sleep for months without fear of being possessed myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies