Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 01:10 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy View Post
Jaws what a good movie, to answer the question no it didnt bother me at all really but Jelly fish always get me a bit jumpy when I go deep in the sea

Jellyfish really freak me out actually, sharks are on the whole a really much maligned specie though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 02:15 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Not too many sharks in Lake Erie, where I did the bulk of my swimming back then.

The carp could be kinda nasty, though.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:21 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,338 times
Jaws never really bothered me too much. Now in the midst of Shark week on the discovery channel I may be rethinking my beach going habits.

"Jellyfish really freak me out actually, sharks are on the whole a really much maligned specie though." Mooseketeer I am with you on the jellyfish thing. My hubby and I took our boys fishing in the Gulf a couple of weeks ago. Drug them outta bed at 4am to get that whole fishing experience. Well 10min into the whole thing my hubby and I both got stung by jellies. Man was that the worst. Never again am I getting up that early.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:27 PM

578 posts, read 3,062,868 times
yep also got stung by a jelly fish as a kid and now they always scare the crap out of me, everytime I touch some seaweed or whatever is under the water it makes me swim for my life.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:58 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,901,566 times
Jaws had me fearful of the swimming pool for quite some time. Forget the beach. I'd get panic attacks swimming in the pool, particularly at night. To this day I will NOT swim in water I cannot see the bottom of (there has to be a phobia for this). Either it's crystal clear Caribbean-type water or nothing at all. I prefer to wear goggles so I can see what's in the water clearly as well. And Kevlar booties. I don't like stepping on things that sting, pierce, bite, cut, eat, crush, ooze, or stab my feet.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:50 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,463,918 times
I think it affected me for sure to a certain degree. I grew up in New England where my family has a summer cottage. Summers were spent at the beach , and when Jaws came out I was just a kid. That year there was a windsurfer that was thrown from his board and bite marks indicated a large shark had bitten it. I don't believe the species was ever identified , but yea it had me worried until i moved to Florida 18 years ago. I used to spend hours everyday wade fishing in black tip infested waters. There were so many in the flats I couldnt begin to count them. I realized after years of fishing the flats with sharks that I was'nt on the menu, until last year when my bosses son was biten. He was surfing Sebastian Inlet on the east coast and got hit on the calf in 3 feet of water. The shark did an investigative bite and moved on, 108 stitches later to re-attatch his calf. I give the kid credit , he blamed himself for being in the sharks territory and to this day he still surfs. I still go in the water, but man are there tons of sharks about

Old 08-03-2007, 11:02 PM

417 posts, read 1,281,731 times
Default A ninny

14 years after the movie Jaws--I was in Hawaii, swimming in the ocean. I was actually at a "protected" beach", inasmuch there was a coral reef barrier that keeps the sharks and other very large fish, from entering the bay. I was just kind of treading water in an upright, seated position and actually thinking about the movie Jaws. I was about a hundred feet from shore, when a fish (Bullethead Parrotfish?) swam by in the area between my knees and arms. It startled me so bad that I started thrashing around in the water for a few moments. Then I had to laugh at myself because I was such a ninny.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:00 PM

87 posts, read 383,073 times
I had a crazy, scary incident because of watching Jaws.
I was swimming at night in an indoor motel pool on vacation that summer when the movie came out. I hadn't been in very long, was alone, and my heart panicked, literally, when I noticed in the water below some huge, dark something in the pool moving around! I immediately thought it was a shark! I couldn't tell if it was coming toward me, it was just huge and moving and menacing. At about the same time I noticed it and my heart skipped a couple beats, I then realized what it was...my moving legs cast shadows due to the lighting in the pool at night! But I was still pretty shaken up and got out of the pool immediately.
That crazy movie certainly affected me. But no more after that one freaky night.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:50 PM

578 posts, read 2,529,065 times
Red face Movies That cause trauma & lifelong phobias?

Well, I certainly had water-weirdness LONG BEFORE Jaws came out. Living in Michigan, I dont have to worry about the saltwater predators, however, this is the WaterWonderland, and the lakes are mucky, soft bottoms, filled with plants, that seem to "grab your legs". I always got panicky when feet would hit the muck-filled bottom, and the scratchy plant or little perch & bluegill would brush past me! What a big baby, Still am.

P.S. = I still, to this day, REFUSE TO SHOWER unless the shower curtain is a clear-see-thru type of design! (Guess which movie did that to me?) Janet Leigh would know!

Old 10-06-2007, 09:52 PM

578 posts, read 2,529,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
Jaws never really bothered me too much. Now in the midst of Shark week on the discovery channel I may be rethinking my beach going habits.

"Jellyfish really freak me out actually, sharks are on the whole a really much maligned specie though." Mooseketeer I am with you on the jellyfish thing. My hubby and I took our boys fishing in the Gulf a couple of weeks ago. Drug them outta bed at 4am to get that whole fishing experience. Well 10min into the whole thing my hubby and I both got stung by jellies. Man was that the worst. Never again am I getting up that early.
Actually had to give them dope to get them outta bed?!? (she said, wryly with tongue in cheek).
Is it true that if you 'urinate' on jellyfish stings, it helps the pain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies