Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:06 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
So many but some favourites of mine:

Kenneth Brannagh
Colin Firth
Gabriel Byrne
Ben Kingsley
Geoffrey Rush
Albert Finney
Paul Bettany
Alan Rickman
Jim Broadbent
David Suchet
Bruno Ganz
Jean Reno
Daniel Day Lewis
Liam Neeson ( though he has been in some truly dire films)
Anthony Hopkins
Ralph Fiennes
William HurtAaron Eckart
George Clooney
William Macy
Rufus Sewell
Daniel Auteuil
Paul Newman
Edward Norton
Guillaume Canet
Daniel Bruhl
Ulrich Muhe
Gary Cooper
Al Pacino
Romain Duris
Samuel le Bihan
Gerard Depardieu
Robert de Niro
Gregory Peck
Dustin Hoffman
Sean Penn
Ryan Gosling
Alec Guiness
Laurence Olivier would about cap a perfect list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 08:08 AM

553 posts, read 1,544,996 times
I have a lot of favs too, but I do have one actor that stands out in my mind....Gary Oldman. He can play a sweet dwarf (Tip Toes), a vampire (Bram Stokers Dracula), supreme bad guy (The Professional, etc) He's that one guy that you see in a ton of movies, but never knew his name until you made an effort to find out who he was. He's just outstanding and very diverse. IMO, he has more acting skills in his little finger than most actors in Hollywood. I mean, really. Look at Nic Cage! He pretty much plays the same character in all of his movies!

Old 05-10-2011, 08:48 AM

15,145 posts, read 14,329,825 times
Golden Age- Spencer Tracy

Currently- Russell Crowe

Old 05-10-2011, 10:20 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,482,138 times
I'll make a most talented actor thread since so many posters are reading that into this thread.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:23 PM

4 posts, read 6,280 times
I like Robin Williams and Garrett Hedlund.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:47 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,570,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Far too many great actors to claim a favorite but I will list one just to stay on topic; Colin Firth.
I hear you!
Richard Harris used to top my most versatile actor list, followed by Anthony Hopkins. Since Harris is no longer here, Colin Firth took his place. His acting in "The King's Speech" was definitely superb.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:38 AM

26 posts, read 26,213 times
for me bradpitt and mel gibson....are my favorite ones...

Old 05-21-2011, 06:26 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce2011 View Post
I have a lot of favs too, but I do have one actor that stands out in my mind....Gary Oldman. He can play a sweet dwarf (Tip Toes), a vampire (Bram Stokers Dracula), supreme bad guy (The Professional, etc) He's that one guy that you see in a ton of movies, but never knew his name until you made an effort to find out who he was. He's just outstanding and very diverse. IMO, he has more acting skills in his little finger than most actors in Hollywood. I mean, really. Look at Nic Cage! He pretty much plays the same character in all of his movies!
Totally agree- he's by far one of the most underrated actors in Hollywood. It blows my mind he hasn't been nominated for any major awards.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:45 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,972,064 times
I've always admired Anthony Hopkins. He oozes out natural class.

One I've also come to greatly appreciate is Leonardo DiCaprio. At the time of Titanic and the Beach, I considered him a greenhorn and a shallow teen hunk, but ever since Gangs of New York, I think he's greatly evolved. You know, consider movies like The Departed, Revolutionary Road, Shutter Island, Inception,...

Old 05-22-2011, 11:54 AM

8,321 posts, read 13,450,418 times
RIP: George C. Scott, Heath Ledger (his performance in Batman: Dark Knight alone).

Really Seasoned (some not active): James Earl Jones, Tommy Lee Jones, Ed Harris, Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman, Mel Gibson. Denzel Washington, Merly Streep, Morgan Freeman and Gary Oldman and Robert Redford.

Current: Sam Rockwell, Ben Foster (I noticed him in Hostage where he literally stole the scenes from Bruce Willis), Christian Bale, Edward Norton and the leading young ladies in "Winter's Bone" and the new "True Grit".

Regardless of having talent or not, I truly enjoy the following actors:
Kurt Russell, Sylvester Stone, Robert Downey Jr. (Tropic Thunder alone) Mel Gibson, John Cusack, Jonny Depp, Jim Carrey, John Candy, Chevy Chase and Steve Martin.

I am sorry, was I supposed to pick only one? Yeah, right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies