Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2011, 02:08 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times

Advertisements

There are so many hugely talented contemporary actors/actresses... but we see only a handful, over and over. Not saying they are not talented of course....but films are saturated with them, ie

Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise, Leo DiCaprio, Ben Affleck, Will Smith etc
Cameron Diaz, Jennifer Aniston, Meryl Streep, Sandra Bullock etc.

What actors/actresses do you find amazing, scene-stealers even, but yet they are not overexposed or consistently/only in big budget films?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 03:54 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
I suppose the bottom line for mainstream movie producers is money and "bums on seats" and sadly only big names seem to attract the majority of movie goers.

I completely agree with you about A list "stars". I get fed up of seeing the same faces ( some not as talented as their billing would indicate...) , usually playing similar roles , often in fact playing a version of themselves.

To me Cinema is an Art form and we are demeaning it with a total lack of originality, talent and with shiny baubles to distract the audience like special effects overload , big explosions and loud sounds.

Which is why I tend to watch mostly Indie or Foreign films which tend to be a bit different, have actors who can actually genuinely act in a myriad of different roles and whose success does not rely on whose actress has the best boobs, legs, smile or whose actor has the best physique.

There are thousands of wonderfully talented actors out there who will never even have a chance to be appreciated and that is sad.

I suppose when movie making is only seen as a cynical way to make billions of dollars rather than the Art of Story-Telling this should not exactly be a shock to us that mainstream films often scrape the bottom of the barrel and pander to the lowest common denominator. Money talks. Most people want to see Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie rather than Bruno Ganz and Emmanuelle Beart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies