Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 01:45 PM

693 posts, read 2,756,783 times

Advertisements

OK either I am giving too much credit to "reviews" or I am going through a phase where I hate every movie i see lol.

But in any case, I rented the DVD "The Host", which seems to be HIGHLY rated by reviewers in several sites and I found it to be extremely BAD. Comments of people in the room: "This movie is just stupid". We gave up about 1 hours after the movie started and put "THE BIRDS" in the DVD players, which saved the night!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 05:01 PM

578 posts, read 2,525,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener View Post
OK either I am giving too much credit to "reviews" or I am going through a phase where I hate every movie i see lol.

But in any case, I rented the DVD "The Host", which seems to be HIGHLY rated by reviewers in several sites and I found it to be extremely BAD. Comments of people in the room: "This movie is just stupid". We gave up about 1 hours after the movie started and put "THE BIRDS" in the DVD players, which saved the night!
Yes, I have been feeling that way too lately. When they were raving about "the Grudge" ...I was saying "What the hell is this boring movie?" when is something actually gonna happen. And that little kid with that cat-screech, was just irritating NOT SPOOKY AT ALL. I felt that "the Host" was going to be along the same lines after reading all the member reviews at Netflix. so I passed on it. glad you mentioned it, you went thru the pain of sitting thru it, now i dont have to, eh? sorry, but glad that you managed to save your Movie night by putting in a classic Hitchcock film. usually I do that except i wll put in a good old Sean Connery Jamed Bond film; one of his first six is good. Or MY FAV: "Blazing Saddles" ...Mel Brooks wacky stuff never fails to satisfy, esp. when we are still complaining about the 'Japanese clunker that needs to be thrown in the trash can".

Old 08-30-2007, 09:52 AM

578 posts, read 3,060,200 times
The Host is a great film, you have to remember that is not just a horror but a comedy horror and the acting wasnt great but added to the comedy of the film (most asian films have poor acting), I honestly say that its one of the best films this yr I have seen I would give it 8/10.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:32 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,370,056 times
Quote:
I rented the DVD "The Host", which seems to be HIGHLY rated by reviewers in several sites and I found it to be extremely BAD. Comments of people in the room: "This movie is just stupid".!
I would not have been popular in that room, then.
I think The Host is one of the most intelligent, entertaining movies I saw all year.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:03 AM

4,720 posts, read 15,575,227 times
I just got it from Netflix and am watching tonite.I never heard of it till I read the hype and was sold from what I read(easy sucker?).I will let you know

Old 08-31-2007, 07:48 AM

Default Monster movie

Anyone who watches the Host needs to be aware that it is an homage to old Asian monster movies, not a horror flick.
Think Godzilla, not The Ring.

For the record, I think that all technical aspects of the movie are great: the acting, writing, and directing are superb, and the CGI monster is impressive.

I went into it expecting to like it as a some kind of parody, but found it to be an overall excellent piece of storytelling.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:53 AM

wow that's amazing how different opinions are. To me this was one of the WORST movies i have ever seen. The acting was painfully bad, embarrassing to watch, the monster was not very convincing and the "blondie dad" annoyed me from the very beginning. The scene where they cry and hug each other and fall on the floor was the most wasted 5 minutes of my life. It would have been a much better use of my time if I had gone to the bathroom and taken a dump lol. I liked Godzilla, National Kid and all the "oldies" but this is far from being that IMO.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:58 AM

Quote:
The scene where they cry and hug each other and fall on the floor was the most wasted 5 minutes of my life.
I think this scene is hilarious.

You should have checked this out in the big, dark, quiet, theater.
Too often, movies are ruined when friends sit around watching together in a house. Once a film is branded as a joke in this setting, it is very hard to watch it with a critical eye. Don't know if this was your experience, though.

Oh well. Different strokes...

Old 08-31-2007, 08:33 AM

I watched it on a 50" high definition TV (HD_DVD) with great 5.1 surround sound so not sure if that was the problem! People were quiet for the 1st hour but after that it was HARD for anyone to not say anything. But really, don't you think the "blondie dad" was annoying? Gosh I hated that character!

Old 08-31-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:
But really, don't you think the "blondie dad" was annoying? Gosh I hated that character!
No, actually, I really liked the character!
I thought it was well-played by the actor and, for me, he really made the film. (You mean main character bleach-blonde, right?).
Overall, the movie was a lot more character-driven then I expected, and I ended up liking blondie-dad a lot! I think I know what you mean, though.
The blonde hair was kind of a distracting turn-off at first, but as soon as the monster attacked the beach, and blonde-dad got in the action, I just kept liking him more and more.
I really wasn't expecting much from the film to start with - I thought it would be some cheap entertainment at best, so maybe that's why I was impressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies