Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 02:19 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times

Advertisements

Keep seeing this trailer for "The Devil inside" movie. It seems holly-woods horror genre moved from Zombies To Vampires and then to spooks/possessed people.
It's really cliche this trailer, With the demon voice coming from the women, The weird twisting of limbs, And her climbing the walls. I think it's overdone. it was scary in the exorcist, And Emily Rose was good but I find this rather silly now. And why 3 parts to "Paranormal Activity?" Im afraid they are going to turn it into a Friday the 13th with over a dozen parts.

Anyway, This is it:

The Devil Inside (2012) - IMDb

i personally find the best horror to be something that is rooted in reality, Something that can happen for real and invokes a feeling of dread*

Like the dread i feel when i will get my dry cleaning bill...Yes, I spilled my coffee again second week in a row!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 05:56 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
i personally find the best horror to be something that is rooted in reality, Something that can happen for real and invokes a feeling of dread*
Any kind of genre can be scary, but directors no longer seem to care to do it. To achieve a good scare, it's more about what you DON'T see, what MIGHT be behind the door, what the noise outside MIGHT be. That is the nature of a good scare. But because of CGI and no boundaries in gore any more, directors no longer seem interested in imagination. Everything is in your face --- and thus not scary anymore.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:51 PM

207 posts, read 284,666 times
Scares in recent flicks comes from random "jump scares" and that is all. It's just pure laziness by the writers/directors, in my opinion.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Any kind of genre can be scary, but directors no longer seem to care to do it. To achieve a good scare, it's more about what you DON'T see, what MIGHT be behind the door, what the noise outside MIGHT be. That is the nature of a good scare. But because of CGI and no boundaries in gore any more, directors no longer seem interested in imagination. Everything is in your face --- and thus not scary anymore.
Yes, They have traded suspense for shock value, Or do i mean schlock value..?

Old 12-27-2011, 02:38 PM

696 posts, read 1,301,604 times
I thought Paranormal Activity had all of those. I am not easily scared nor do I believe in ghosts/phantoms, yet I could not properly sleep for 3 months after seeing that movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

Old 12-28-2011, 05:32 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,678,559 times
Hardly anything scares me anymore but I also jumped during Paranormal Activity

Old 12-28-2011, 01:04 PM

A few good scares, But that Katie was very distracting..what a dish!

Old 12-28-2011, 03:08 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Keep seeing this trailer for "The Devil inside" movie. It seems holly-woods horror genre moved from Zombies To Vampires and then to spooks/possessed people.
It's really cliche this trailer, With the demon voice coming from the women, The weird twisting of limbs, And her climbing the walls. I think it's overdone. it was scary in the exorcist, And Emily Rose was good but I find this rather silly now. And why 3 parts to "Paranormal Activity?" Im afraid they are going to turn it into a Friday the 13th with over a dozen parts.

Anyway, This is it:

The Devil Inside (2012) - IMDb

Like the dread i feel when i will get my dry cleaning bill...Yes, I spilled my coffee again second week in a row!

I have said this forever that the only way I get scared is if it can really happen to me. Zombies, martians, outerspace stuff.... don't fill the bill.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:46 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,081,691 times
Yes, these movies really are all the same. The scariest film I ever saw was a docudrama about nuclear war/nuclear winter that was made in Britain sometime in the 80's.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:12 AM

696 posts, read 1,301,604 times
Different strokes for different folks. For me its different - I am not scared by serial killers or cannibal lecters or even zombies or Martians. I can easily tackle them with a Remington shotgun (or a bazooka in the case of aliens) if I were to have an encounter with them, it would be a fair fight. What freaks me out are paranormal/demonic stuff that I cannot resolve with a shotgun fire.....THAT's scare stuff (not that I believe in those, but the thought of anything like that happening is very creepy and scary)!!

Like I said, different things work for different people !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I have said this forever that the only way I get scared is if it can really happen to me. Zombies, martians, outerspace stuff.... don't fill the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies