Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 07:18 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,252,346 times

Advertisements

Horror movies are as popular as ever. Slasher/torture flicks (Saw, the Hostel), tales about evil kids (the Ring, the Orphan etc), those documentary style films - Paranormal etc. Whether these new films are as scary as the old films, now that's another matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 07:19 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,252,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Blood & Gore have replaced a good suspense/horror story. It is repugnant to me what is being peddled as horror is just sadism on steroids. One exception is the Paranormal Activity anthologies. Where is Stephen King when you need him ?
I find black and white horror movies the most chilling. Maybe simply being black and white added an element of horror to them. Many had a more ghostly-supernatural theme to them. Even cheesy flicks like Frankenstein have their chilling moments, or those sci-fi horror films from the 50s.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:10 PM

24,476 posts, read 23,185,177 times
CGI is easier to create monsters so you have many really crappy brain drain horror movies. The SY FY Sci Fi( whatever) channel is full of them. Giant snakes, giant alligators, that kind of crap.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:43 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,570,677 times
Weird. I thought there were MORE horror type movies these days. There are just more movies, period. As to how good they are...well, that is debatable.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:00 PM

12,335 posts, read 17,202,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
CGI is easier to create monsters so you have many really crappy brain drain horror movies. The SY FY Sci Fi( whatever) channel is full of them. Giant snakes, giant alligators, that kind of crap.
I saw one that had a Shark/Octopus hybrid attacking spring breakers. It's always spring breakers. I think there films are public service messages..Don't party or drink at the beach, Or a mutant animal hybrid/Bigfoot robot/zombie seagull will get you!

All cautionary tales....

Old 07-06-2012, 11:20 AM

7 posts, read 9,141 times
yes

Old 07-06-2012, 12:02 PM

1,921 posts, read 2,023,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I saw one that had a Shark/Octopus hybrid attacking spring breakers.
Hey, we're talking about movies here, not those silly SyFy TV things, which are supposed to be bad on purpose.

The reason you get more or less of a particular genre of movie is due to the box office for such films. If people would pay to see Westerns, Hollywood will make more Westerns. Or horror, war stories, scifi, historical costume dramas, or whatever. It always comes down to the money.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:11 AM

207 posts, read 285,994 times
Today's horror movies involve blood & guts, a few topless girls, some pointsless jump scares, and a mindless story.

There was plenty of this in the 80s and 90s but then the ideas just seemed so fresh. I watched Nightmare on Elm Street and the remake back to back and compared the two. The new one to me just wasn't good. Although I was biased in the first place since the new one didn't have Robert Englund.

I wasn't a fan of the Paranormal Activity movies, but I was glad to see something that wasn't a remake make such success with a simple idea and remind everyone that scary movies can still be made without being riddled with over the top CGI, nudity, and jump scares.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:13 AM

6,483 posts, read 6,223,850 times
There are still some good ones (such as Case 39) but the moviemakers don't get as much bang for the buck making them now as they did in the 70s and 80s. Plus the ones from then are of better quality.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:25 AM

116 posts, read 267,847 times
I think it's precisely BECAUSE there were so many of them made in the 80's. It's just harder nowadays to find a story that hasn't been done before, in one variation or another. Sooner or later, that seems to happen to every genre. That's why there are so many remakes and sequels out there.

Last edited by NomineMalum; 07-07-2012 at 01:53 AM.. Reason: wording changed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies