Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 02:58 PM

696 posts, read 1,303,204 times

Advertisements

What's the name of that bozo who got duped into marrying Kim Kardashian and the marriage turned out to be a sham for advertisement/reality TV money? Poor fella had no idea that it was a setup and the girl was playing him the whole time lol.. they had like a beach wedding and all that.....that's almost like a real life Truman incident...in this case the guy being the clueless Truman in real life!! Further proof The Truman Show was fairly realistic !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 11:17 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,063,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
I'd go with Blade Runner.
Ditto this.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:35 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,164,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
No one mentioned Jeff Bridges' Starman which was an awesome movie. I still enjoy watching it. A few others worth mentioning: Red Planet, Mission to Mars, Event Horizon and Sphere.

Really? Do you even know what Othello was about? It is just plain silly to label that awesome Sci-Fi movie as "Othello in outer space".

I have to disagree with The Truman Show. I don't see how it would qualify as a Sci-Fi. It had fiction but where is the Sci element? It was nothing more than a social drama, imho.
"The Truman Show" is listed on numerous Best Sci-Fi Movies lists. They've even shown the film at Sci-Fi cons I've been too. I've always viewed it as Sci-Fi.

This says it best:
3. The Truman Show
Like Inception, this is another film that everyone's probably seen — but they'll get more out of a second viewing. Truman Show takes place in a near future where reality television has reached new extremes — Truman is a man who's been raised inside a fake world, surrounded by actors and under constant surveillance by television producers. This movie raises all manner of science fictional questions about reality and selfhood, while also remaining just close enough to our world to be really jarring. It's a dystopia for people who find most dystopias too weird or implausible

10 Science Fiction Movies for People Who Think They Don't Like Science Fiction

See also:
Science Fiction & Fantasy: Film: The Truman Show (1998)

Old 02-01-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyusa View Post
The Truman Show? Great movie, but to quote your earlier post to BoxCar Willie:

"Not sci-fi "

It most certainly is considered Sci-Fi. See my other post.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:44 PM

Definitions of what Science Fiction is and is not
What is Science Fiction?

Old 02-01-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyusa View Post
Sorry Mark S. I still don't see The Truman Show as a sci fi. All seems doable, at an exorbitant cost of course, okay may be not ALL , but nothing completely out-of-the-world. Might stretch the imaginations a bit for a 90's movie but still not a sci-fi imho !

I am curious, would you call "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" a sci-fi ? To me, that actually seems closer to being a "sci-fi" than The Truman Show!

Both of these movies are among Jim Carrrey's best though !!
Speculative Fiction. These are both Sci-Fi movies.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:10 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,202,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
My own additions to the list:

Planet of the Apes. The original. Not a perfect film, but still a classic.
Watch it again.

I'll generally watch any well-done film at least 4 times, once just to watch, once for the dialog, then the cinematography, then the acting and direction.

Notice how they are dwarfed by the surrounding landscape as they walk through the "Forbidden Zone."

It gives you an image with a double-meaning: they are insignificant creatures on this planet, and man is insignificant in both the world and universe around him. And they are lonely. And then of course, Heston's classic line when the first meet the humans: "If this is the best they've got, we'll be running this planet in 6 months" and then the apes come out of the wood-line to attack.

Most people pick up on the racial overtones of White vs Black, but it was more than that: Light vs Dark; Good vs Evil; East vs West; Man vs Nature, and then of course the satirical attack on religion, with the ape having a soul because only the Simian has the "divine spark" and "Did you forget what is written on the 13th Scroll?" etc

It was really a well-done film.

The remake sucked.

Okay, I will watch Blade Runner and Forbidden Planet, since so many have interesting opinions on it. I just watched Minority Report a couple of months ago, and I thought was it was fairly good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Anybody remember "The Andromeda Strain"? I thought it was pretty good, although it's pretty old.
I just saw that again a few weeks ago. It's kind of dated with its use of the split panels for dialog, but that was the "new thing" at the time. It was a great story. The remake sucked.

I rather enjoyed The Day the Earth Stood Still, but the remake sucked.

I found Soylent Green to be sort of anti-climatic too, but I always preferred the Omega Man.

One film I would recommend is Brazil. That's a futuristic sci-fi fantasy. Very nicely done.

Critiquing...

Mircea

Old 02-01-2012, 02:35 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,861,526 times
Plan 9 From Outer Space - granted, it's a supernatural thriller, but it still qualifies.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:36 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,731,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Watch it again.

I'll generally watch any well-done film at least 4 times, once just to watch, once for the dialog, then the cinematography, then the acting and direction.

Notice how they are dwarfed by the surrounding landscape as they walk through the "Forbidden Zone."

It gives you an image with a double-meaning: they are insignificant creatures on this planet, and man is insignificant in both the world and universe around him. And they are lonely. And then of course, Heston's classic line when the first meet the humans: "If this is the best they've got, we'll be running this planet in 6 months" and then the apes come out of the wood-line to attack.

Most people pick up on the racial overtones of White vs Black, but it was more than that: Light vs Dark; Good vs Evil; East vs West; Man vs Nature, and then of course the satirical attack on religion, with the ape having a soul because only the Simian has the "divine spark" and "Did you forget what is written on the 13th Scroll?" etc

It was really a well-done film.

The remake sucked.

Okay, I will watch Blade Runner and Forbidden Planet, since so many have interesting opinions on it. I just watched Minority Report a couple of months ago, and I thought was it was fairly good.

I just saw that again a few weeks ago. It's kind of dated with its use of the split panels for dialog, but that was the "new thing" at the time. It was a great story. The remake sucked.

I rather enjoyed The Day the Earth Stood Still, but the remake sucked.

I found Soylent Green to be sort of anti-climatic too, but I always preferred the Omega Man.

One film I would recommend is Brazil. That's a futuristic sci-fi fantasy. Very nicely done.

Critiquing...

Mircea
I'd be interested in your take on the latest POA about how it all started. I thought it had some good concepts.........

Old 02-01-2012, 05:52 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,459,201 times
  • La jetee, which was the basis for 12 Monkeys, is pretty seminal.
  • The Incredible Shrinking Man is my usual choice for thoughtful early sci-fi.
  • Blade Runner is I'd say my favorite movie anyway, but for sci-fi I think...
  • Alien has the most powerful gender/social/political/psychological symbolic punch. I also think Alien 3 is totally under-rated.
  • Starship Troopers is hilarious (and relevant still).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies