Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 08:03 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yeah. But Queen Latifa, whom I admire tremendously, was only about 13 at most when the movie was made. Even so, there were other excellent women who could have played Billie Holliday better than Diana. Diana was way to slender and had a voice far to pretty to ever make a good Billie Holliday.

it's a film that is begging for a new treatment.
This is a 2-year old message, but I have to comment that hopefully with Audra McDonald's Tony win for Lady Day at Emerson's Bar & Grill, there will be increased interest in a new Billie Holliday movie. I saw this performance on Broadway, and she was truly AMAZING in the role. She may not look like Billie Holliday, but she absolutely becomes her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 09:12 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
This is the real life Francine Hughes, the subject of the best selling book about a housewife who burns her husband to death while he is in bed.

When they made the story into the movie "The Burning Bed", they searched the globe for an actress who looked just like her and came up with...

..................Farrah Fawcett

Hard to tell them apart.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:25 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
I don't think anyone would mistake John Wayne...

or Fess Parker..

....for the real David Crockett..

Nor is anyone likely to mistake William Daniels..

..for the real John Adams..

Old 07-22-2014, 08:22 AM

197 posts, read 233,824 times
Nice links, Suburban _Guy. Also, they should have glamored down Salem Hayek more to look like Frida Kahlo because that unibrow just didn't do it.

Also, I don't know why, but I thought that there was a bit of a similarity between John Wayne and Genghis Kahn. Although, I'm sure that the Asian community wouldn't agree with that.

Plus, I actually thought that Billie Holiday looks a bit like Nia Long.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:56 AM

I'm not sure that every role needs to be portrayed by someone who looks like the person the movie is based on. If someone has an iconic image, it's more important that the portrayer have at least a loose resemblance. Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, JFK, Margaret Thatcher ... if there's no resemblance, it loses believability.

But Pancho Barnes? Francine Hughes? Jimmy Doolittle? Even John Adams? Most people have no clue what these people actually look like without looking up a picture. They could really be played by anyone.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:16 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Who says they don't try to find someone that looks like them? But with so many commitments and only so many actors and directors and producers who get along with each other, sometimes their first choice isn't available. Or their 2nd or 3rd.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:42 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Another one coming. Don't see a resemblance:

Jamie Foxx Tabbed To Play Mike Tyson In Possible Movie « CBS Los Angeles

Old 09-01-2014, 12:07 PM

197 posts, read 233,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I'm not sure that every role needs to be portrayed by someone who looks like the person the movie is based on. If someone has an iconic image, it's more important that the portrayer have at least a loose resemblance. Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, JFK, Margaret Thatcher ... if there's no resemblance, it loses believability.
Well, not necessarily.

I had always been intertersed in seeing Savings Mr. Banks, but probably put off seeing it because I was a bit put off that they got Tom Hanks to play Walt Disney.(Even Tom Hanks admitted that he didn't have a facial structure that resembled Walt Disney's.) However, after finally seeing the movie several weeks ago, I was able to get into the 'illusion' of the movie because the movie was so good and Hanks is such an honest and believable actor. However, I must admit that I was a bit distracted during the first part of the movie with Hanks playing Disney, but eventually, that went away for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
But Pancho Barnes? Francine Hughes? Jimmy Doolittle? Even John Adams? Most people have no clue what these people actually look like without looking up a picture. They could really be played by anyone.
I agree.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:14 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
That's why it is called acting.

Michelle Williams doesn't look like Marilyn Monroe, but in the film "My Week with Marilyn"(for which she got an Oscar nomination) she was amazing. You forget that she doesn't look exactly like Monroe.

Her acting makes you believe she is Monroe.

Diana Ross in her screen debut as Billie Holiday in "Lady Sings the Blues" also nailed it, doesn't look like Holiday.

Again it's called acting, would rather have someone who can pull off the role rather than a carbon copy who can't.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Parkerman View Post
Well, not necessarily.

I had always been intertersed in seeing Savings Mr. Banks, but probably put off seeing it because I was a bit put off that they got Tom Hanks to play Walt Disney.(Even Tom Hanks admitted that he didn't have a facial structure that resembled Walt Disney's.) However, after finally seeing the movie several weeks ago, I was able to get into the 'illusion' of the movie because the movie was so good and Hanks is such an honest and believable actor. However, I must admit that I was a bit distracted during the first part of the movie with Hanks playing Disney, but eventually, that went away for the most part.
Tom Hanks may not be a mirror image of Walt Disney, but he much more closely resembles him than just about any other actor in Hollywood. He resembles Disney as much as Meryl Streep resembles Margaret Thatcher or Julia Child. There is enough resemblance for there to be believability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies