Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 06:00 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,155,963 times

Advertisements

I know it's hard to find someone who looks very similar to some famous people, but how do you feel when the actor playing a famous person doesn't look AT ALL like the real life person? I've seen too many to count and it always annoyed me. From the Beatles, JFK, less known people like Temple Grandin (Claire Danes, seriously?), or Christina Ricci playing Aileen Wuorno's lesbian lover in 'Monster'. Of course, most people haven't seen the documentary so it doesn't matter to them. I guess does it really matter that much? I think Charlize Theron looked uncannily like Wuornos in the film, yet they couldn't get someone who looked remotely like Wuorno's girlfriend, Tracy something?

It's often because they want someone prettier, more handsome, but sometimes the actor isn't even good looking. And often I'm talking about obscure actors and small parts, so nothing to do with only having a limited range of big-name stars to choose from.

I just saw the Iron Lady, about Margaret Thatcher. While Streep doesn't look that much like Thatcher, I forgot about it because how good her acting is, and she looks passably similar. Often though, there is no resemblance whatsoever, and the casting agents obviously didn't bother to stay true to real life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 07:37 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,487,475 times
Diana Ross playing Billie Holiday? Please! Queen Latifah would've been more accurate.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:45 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,545,490 times
I thought Temple Grandin was a wonderful film. I have more trouble with the looks thing when the person is very famous. Like Michele Williams as Marilyn Monroe. I haven't seen the movie though, maybe she makes you forget.

Oh, and some of those Elvis made for TV movies have the worst Elvis impersonators!

Old 01-25-2012, 09:05 AM

22,947 posts, read 28,350,952 times
It depends on the person in question. I honestly had no idea what the real Temple Grandin looked like. Loved the movie.

But I wouldn't want to see Dustin Hoffman playing General Patton or Brad Pitt as Abraham Lincoln.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:07 AM

29,765 posts, read 34,491,950 times
As in the case with Meryl Streep as Thatcher, usually casting directors are more concerned with the acting than the general appearance. That's what hair, makeup, and costumes are for. And usually actors are generally much more attractive people than your average schmo on the street. That's why they're actors.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:33 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,715,757 times
Going back to the old classic movie era, Gary Cooper as Lou Gehrig and Sergeant York. He didn't look even remotely like either historical figure, and he was also much too old for either part.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:42 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,793,094 times
It's so much more important to find an actor capable of becoming the real life person they're playing. Even if they don't look much alike, when you seem them with the same mannerisms, the same air as the real person, you forget.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:32 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,545,490 times
Meryl did a wonderful job making herself seem like Julia Child.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:46 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,165,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I thought Temple Grandin was a wonderful film. I have more trouble with the looks thing when the person is very famous. Like Michele Williams as Marilyn Monroe. I haven't seen the movie though, maybe she makes you forget.

Oh, and some of those Elvis made for TV movies have the worst Elvis impersonators!
I have been a major Marilyn fan since I was a little girl (she died when I was 6). I went to see My week with Marilyn extremely skeptical to say the least. But I had to go. Well, Michele Williams managed to capture so many of Marilyn's nuances that there were times I actually forgot it was someone else portraying her. I am now rooting for her to win the Academy Award. Because she managed to do what I always felt was impossible. She became Marilyn in that film and I now have the highest regard for her as an actress.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:01 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,090,854 times
Reese Witherspoon as June Cash ("Walk the Line")

She doesn't look like her, and Reese is not a particulary good actress. Zooey Deschanel would've been a better fit; at least she can sing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies