Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 07:25 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,547,446 times

Advertisements

Saw the preview during the Super Bowl. This is a film adaptation of a very well written animated tv series. I'm curious how they're going to compress several seasons of the series into one movie. Was shocked to discover the writers of the series were not Chinese or even Asian. It seems the perfect Chinese fantasy series. What made the series better is they actually ended the series. They set a goal in the story line and when the goal was met, the series ended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 07:46 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,353,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Saw the preview during the Super Bowl. This is a film adaptation of a very well written animated tv series. I'm curious how they're going to compress several seasons of the series into one movie. Was shocked to discover the writers of the series were not Chinese or even Asian. It seems the perfect Chinese fantasy series. What made the series better is they actually ended the series. They set a goal in the story line and when the goal was met, the series ended.
I think this movie is only going to cover the first book/season (no word of them casting some of the major Book 2 characters). yes, Avatar (the TV show, not the movie of course!) was an awesome show. the creators (yeah, they were both white, funny how people are always shocked by this) had a very specific game plan, hence why it was such a tight little production. no extra, unneeded fluff episodes (not to say every episode was a winner). it was not a typical TV show that goes on and on until the network cancels it. wish more shows were like this

I'm excited about this film, but will be truthfully honest and say I'm displeased by the casting. seriously, the constipated looking guy from the Twilight movies as Sokka? they completely whitewashed the cast (correction, the villains are non white. doesn't make it any better, kind of makes it worse). one can argue what race Aang is (though w/ a name like Aang, he obviously wasn't from Finland!), but the other two characters had dark skin and obviously weren't white. many have argued that it's a fantasy world, but it is a heavily Asian influenced world w/ some Native American/Inuit influences, just like LOTR was heavily influenced by Old Britain/Nordic history. I would have been fine if the whole cast wasn't Asian, but the main characters, especially the heroes, should have been far more diverse, IMHO.

sorry, going on a rant here. will still go see the movie, despite this disappointment. I hope this movie succeeds in the box office b/c the second season is SO much better than the first (would love to see who they cast as Azula)

Old 02-10-2010, 08:01 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,735,635 times
I used to watch the tv show. I loved it. I saw a commercial for it after renting a dvd and i went bonkers. Can't wait for the movie. And in the show i do think the were suppose to do 4 seasons. One season for each element earth, wind, fire and water. Instead i think they did three, but still they actually did a great finallly

Old 02-10-2010, 10:50 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,193,588 times
I'll likely check it out, it looks interesting. I've never seen the series so I know nothing about it.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:53 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,684,375 times
Yes, I thought it was only a book series? Anymore back story?

Old 02-11-2010, 12:42 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,353,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff 11 View Post
I used to watch the tv show. I loved it. I saw a commercial for it after renting a dvd and i went bonkers. Can't wait for the movie. And in the show i do think the were suppose to do 4 seasons. One season for each element earth, wind, fire and water. Instead i think they did three, but still they actually did a great finallly
nope, the show only had 3 books: Water, Earth, and Fire. each represented the element Aang had to master. no need for an Air book since Aang had already mastered that at the start of the series. the finale was set off on its own since it was 4 parts, but is still technically considered part of S3 (yup, I'm geeking out)

Old 02-11-2010, 12:56 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,301,183 times
I know it as an animated feature series shown on tv that I would watch with my boys. When the boys weren't home, I would watch myself.
Loved it.
Saw the commercial also during Superbowl and can't wait.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:37 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,735,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
nope, the show only had 3 books: Water, Earth, and Fire. each represented the element Aang had to master. no need for an Air book since Aang had already mastered that at the start of the series. the finale was set off on its own since it was 4 parts, but is still technically considered part of S3 (yup, I'm geeking out)

SWEEET I can't wait for the movie. I loved that show. I was upset to see it end. It was one of the last good cartoon shows on tv.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:27 PM

22,925 posts, read 28,298,223 times
I LOVE the TV show, so I hope the movie is good. But I'm doubtful. Shyamalan's last few efforts have been less than spectacular to say the least, and watching the latest trailer, it's pretty obvious the first movie covers the entire first season --- and I just don't know how you can do that in a 2-hour movie. But we'll see.

I hope it's good. I hope, I hope...

Old 02-20-2010, 07:47 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,358,639 times
We got really hooked on the tv show. We can't wait for the movie. Those special effects with those waterbenders look cool. I cannot see the entire series being one movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies