Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 08:19 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,021,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
May be. But it's fiction after all, so that certainly wouldn't destroy my suspension of disbelief. Besides, the great thing about Kingpin is that he is a merciless organized crime boss in reality, but his public image is the complete opposite. To the public, he's one of New York's best citizens.

The great thing about DD is that it combines so many great genres. Matt is lawyer, so there you've got the courtroom drama of tons of TV shows. He's fighting organized crime, so there you've got the gritty crime drama. Robbie Robertson brings in the investigative journalist. Matt's girlfriend is an assassin. And DD being the super hero, you've got the action/adventure hour. In the hands of a good showrunner, it could easily be one of the best shows on TV.

That's a great point actually. Coming to think about it the Kingpin would be the perfect villain to capitalise on a gentrigying neighbourhood or part of town. It's not like he was a bar brawling Irish mob thug who thrived in the cloak and dagger underbelly of the kind os seedy bars so prevalent in HK up until the 90's.

Corruption, scheming plans to renovate land and build high-end condos and plotting nefarious schemes to push out old time tenants clinging on to the past and cashing in on the new up market clientele in the area would make a great backdrop for a television series.

Crime always persists even when a neoghbourhood has undergone transition. I just think it would make Daredevil more of a refreshing series if they reflected the changes that have happened in the Hell's Kitchen neighbourhoos. And of course even though it has changed there is still crime and criminals as in any other neighbourhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 08:18 AM

1,785 posts, read 2,382,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Since they seem to come out monthly, why not list what you feel are the best and worst.

Worst:
Fantastic Four (both)
Hulk (Ang Lee version)
Spider Man 3
Catwoman
Batman & Robin

Best
Dark Knight
Batman
Spider Man 2
Superman (the original movie)
X-Men 2
I think Superman II was superior to the original. Both are good, however.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:09 AM

33,228 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
I think Superman II was superior to the original. Both are good, however.
There were two different versions of Superman II. If you saw both versions which one did you like better.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:29 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
I loved Superman II when I was a kid. But it has not aged well. I saw it again a few months ago and was struck by how goofy and unconvincing large parts of it are.

The first Superman still holds up.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I loved Superman II when I was a kid. But it has not aged well. I saw it again a few months ago and was struck by how goofy and unconvincing large parts of it are.

The first Superman still holds up.
Which of the two Superman II versions did you think was better.

The one with the Eiffel tower scene in which the criminals put a bomb on the elevator which Superman flies into space which then explodes and frees the Kyptonian criminals from the Phantom Zone, or the other version without the Eiffel tower scene but in which it was the missile which Superman directed into space in the first movie which explodes in space and releases the Phantom Zone criminals. In that same version, at the end of the movie Superman destroys the Fortress of Solitude with his heat vision while Lois Lane looks on in awe. That version also lacked the hide and seek scene in the Fortress of Solitude that was in the first version. There were other differences as well, but I don't remember what they were.

I actually didn't like either version very well. I don't know if the alternate version was ever shown in the movie theaters, but it was shown on TV.

I just checked here >>> Superman II (1980) - Alternate versions and it seems that there were several different versions of Superman II. I'm not a big movie fan so I don't keep up with these things. I just happened to catch one of the alternate versions on TV one time.

Last edited by Michael Way; 07-24-2012 at 12:55 PM..

Old 07-24-2012, 01:38 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Which of the two Superman II versions did you think was better.

The one with the Eiffel tower scene in which the criminals put a bomb on the elevator which Superman flies into space which then explodes and frees the Kyptonian criminals from the Phantom Zone, or the other version without the Eiffel tower scene but in which it was the missile which Superman directed into space in the first movie which explodes in space and releases the Phantom Zone criminals. In that same version, at the end of the movie Superman destroys the Fortress of Solitude with his heat vision while Lois Lane looks on in awe. That version also lacked the hide and seek scene in the Fortress of Solitude that was in the first version. There were other differences as well, but I don't remember what they were.

I actually didn't like either version very well. I don't know if the alternate version was ever shown in the movie theaters, but it was shown on TV.

I just checked here >>> Superman II (1980) - Alternate versions and it seems that there were several different versions of Superman II. I'm not a big movie fan so I don't keep up with these things. I just happened to catch one of the alternate versions on TV one time.
I've seen both versions, and I still don't think either of them hold up to the first film. General Zod was cool, despite prancing around in a disco outfit, but there other two villains never did anything for me. Too comical.

The best moments of II had nothing to do with Superman but with Clark Kent. Which is a big red flag for a Superman story. Unlike so many superheroes, Superman is not the disguise. Clark Kent is the disguise. Superman is the reality. Superman II never quite got that.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I've seen both versions, and I still don't think either of them hold up to the first film. General Zod was cool, despite prancing around in a disco outfit, but there other two villains never did anything for me. Too comical.

The best moments of II had nothing to do with Superman but with Clark Kent. Which is a big red flag for a Superman story. Unlike so many superheroes, Superman is not the disguise. Clark Kent is the disguise. Superman is the reality. Superman II never quite got that.
I agree. The first Superman film was much better than any of the others which followed. However, I didn't care for the way that Gene Hackman portrayed Lex Luthor, and I didn't like the Otis character. It was too silly. I think that Kevin Spacey made a much better Lex Luthor in Superman returns.

In the movies I agree with the fact that the best moments should go to Superman rather than Clark Kent. But in a TV series I think it needs to be more balanced between Clark and Superman. In both The Adventures of Superman with George Reeves, and Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman I liked the time given to Clark.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:32 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why Bionic Woman failed. I watched a few episodes and enjoyed it. Not a great show, but not bad.

No, your first thought is: "Who ordered the stripper, and why is she dressed like the 4th of July?" The old TV show form the '70s succeeded largely because of this latter reason. It wouldn't happen today.

I liked the Bionic women myself I had a crush on the original she had that girl next door look.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:13 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post

worst:

Barb wire
lol

Old 08-01-2012, 07:12 PM

810 posts, read 1,808,084 times
Alright, here is a pretty detailed list of movies I liked/disliked/hated.

AMAZING!
The Avengers
The Dark Knight Rises
The Dark Knight
Iron Man
Spider-Man 2
X-Men: First Class

Great
Batman
Batman Begins
Spider-Man
Watchmen
Batman Returns
Superman
X-Men
X2

Average
The Amazing Spider-Man
The Incredible Hulk
Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger
Superman II
Superman Returns
Kickass

Disliked
Spider-man 3
Batman Forever
Fantastic Four
X-Men: Last Stand
Iron Man 2
Hulk

Bad!
Elektra
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Superman IV
The Phantom
Ghost Rider

TERRIBLE!
Batman and Robin
Catwoman
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Steel
Tank Girl
Judge Dredd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies