Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 11:56 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,802,225 times

Advertisements

I don't even go to superhero movies anymore because you can almost guarantee they will be bad... just like you can count on a movie themed videogame to be bad.

The only superhero movie I can think of that I really LOVED was Kick-Ass.... but that could be because it was mostly about making fun of superhero movies.

I would go see a Teen Titans movie if they evern made one though, because I loved that comic. Raven gives me the naughty willies.

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by Yac; 01-10-2014 at 05:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 06:51 PM

103 posts, read 366,193 times
My top 5 Superhero movies:
Superman II
The Dark Knight
Avengers
Ironman
Spiderman II

Worst :
Fantastic Four
Watchmen
Green Lantern
Captain America
Ironman II

Old 08-04-2012, 10:54 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,209,830 times
Act of Valor
Dune

Old 08-04-2012, 08:27 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,538,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
LOL!!
You just had to be different, didn't you??

Old 08-04-2012, 08:42 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,538,308 times
Best: Not in order

Batman Begins
Dark Knight
Dark Knight Rises
Thor
Ironman
Ironman 2
Capt America
Spiderman
Spiderman 2
Amazing Spiderman
Daredevil (I'm in the minority I know)
Xmen First Class
Xmen 2
The Incredible Hulk
Blade
Avengers
Watchmen (yep...thought it was pretty good)
Green Hornet (Didn't like the new spin....But it was pretty entertaining)

All Burton Batman Movies
All Donner Superman Movies
Superman Returns
Batman Forever
Batman & Robin
Elektra
Punisher
Xmen
Xmen 3
Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four Rise of the Surfer
Green Lantern
Spiderman 3
Catwoman
The Phantom
All Ghost Rider movies
Spawn

Old 08-06-2012, 10:42 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,676 times
Green Lantern was pretty friggin bad but I wouldn't attribute that to Ryan Reynolds, I'd say it was more so the script. If you follow the comic book you'll be able to spot the characters and who they are but they're wasn't enough exposition. Things were moving all over the place, terrible plot.

I think X-men 3 was in the same boat, I know that it's hard to do the continuity justice for two hours especially something that's so convoluted as the x-universe.

Spider man 3 was down right stupid.

I think the reason Avengers succeeded and did so well was because you actually had a comic book writer who was responsible for the screenplay. Not only does Joss Whedon understand the characters, but he also understands the continuity. He wrote a great script that could be appreciated by fans and people who fresh experiencing the brand for the first time.

As a kid I thought Dolph Lundgrens Punisher was pretty bad azz, but only if you watched with the tv on mute.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:42 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,245,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
Green Lantern was pretty friggin bad but I wouldn't attribute that to Ryan Reynolds, I'd say it was more so the script. If you follow the comic book you'll be able to spot the characters and who they are but they're wasn't enough exposition. Things were moving all over the place, terrible plot.

I think X-men 3 was in the same boat, I know that it's hard to do the continuity justice for two hours especially something that's so convoluted as the x-universe.
A truly bad movie is rarely the fault of the actors. 99% of the time, it is the fault of a bad script, bad director, or a combination of the two. I haven't seen Green Lantern, but X3 was horrible because it was a bad script that pooped on the story set up by X2, then directed by a hack whose best work was directing hip hop videos, where his talent peaked.

I just wasn't interested in Green Lantern. He's one of those heroes (like so many in DC comics) that work well in animated form, but as soon as you turn it live action, the goofy factor kicks in. It's why I think there will never be a successful live action Wonder Woman movie or TV show --- at least not without a radical re-working of the character.

I think the same is true of the Fantastic Four actually. That could easily be one of the greatest animated films of all time (although The Incredibles almost did this already). But live action? I just don't see anyone pulling it off without radically re-working the story.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:45 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,245,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
Spider man 3 was down right stupid.
Which is a shame, because Raimi really is a very talented filmmaker. By all accounts, Marvel ruined Spidey 3. Raimi wanted to make a Sandman movie and finish up the Harry Osborn story, but Marvel insisted to the point of constant interference that it be a Venom movie. As a consequence, the Sandman and Harry Osborn bits (the only parts Raimi really cared about) are the only parts of the movie that work to any degree. All the Venom and "dark Parker" elements are just goofy and stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies