U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 03:10 PM

7,008 posts, read 6,515,315 times

Advertisements

You mean audiences aren't interested in paying $12 for yet another Spiderman remake?

I don't understand why Hollywood insists on focusing on the relatively small youth demographics when there are so many adults with money who would love to see good movies in the cinema again.

Movie attendance sinks to 1995 level
Hollywood's financial future is scarier than anything shown on the big screen.

Attendance at the movies last year was the lowest since 1995, and per-person attendance fell to a 25-year low — in particular among younger consumers who frequent the cinema most often, a new report shows.

More home entertainment options, better gadgetry and a shrinking theatrical-release window were among the reasons given by Goldman Sachs analysts Drew Borst and Fred Krom.

Even more frightening, rising ticket prices — the lone driver of box-office revenue growth for the past decade — may be slowing as fans opt out of higher-priced formats such as 3D. Since January, 3D ticket sales have dropped from 45 percent to 34 percent of the box office.

"An ongoing decline in the popularity of 3D would be a headwind on average prices and the overall box office."

Back in 2002, the average moviegoer went to the theater eight times a year; last year, it was fewer than six. In particular, younger viewers are going to movies less often. Attendance per person for consumers ages 12 to 24 is down 40 percent since 2002.

"As far as teens go, they are just becoming more savvy, it takes more effort to get them," said Phil Contrino of Boxoffice.com.

While attendance has been steadily declining for a decade, 2011 was a particularly challenging year even though the US box-office broke the $10 billion mark.

Analysts predict that this year, with blockbusters including "The Hunger Games," "The Avengers" and "The Dark Knight Rises," will be an improvement over last year. Contrino pointed out that the final "Twilight" installment and "The Hobbit" are yet to come.

So far this year, the box office has taken in $6.1 billion with Warner Bros.' "Dark Knight" recording $161 million on its opening weekend despite the shooting in Colorado during a midnight showing.

"All the films were affected this weekend," said Jeff Bock, senior analyst at Exhibitor Relations. He said "Ice Age" was down 56 percent in its second week, while the theater shooting cost the "Dark Knight" around $15 million to $20 million in ticket sales.

Movie attendance may be down but Hollywood has found other ways of making their money-

Five New Ways That Hollywood Is Making Money

1. They are licensing to new media. Since 2010, there has been an explosive growth in license fees for studio-owned TV series, both still-on-the-air and older ones.
2. They are also turning Video-On-Demand into another bonanza.
3. They are improving foreign yields.
4. Studios have reduced production costs by paying stars only a fraction of their official "quote" or asking fee.
5. Hollywood's biggest under-the-radar profit center is television.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 03:50 PM

12,998 posts, read 11,958,998 times
They do it because adolescent-minded boys are more likely to go see movies, and also more likely to go multiple times.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:34 AM

15,607 posts, read 38,685,006 times
I'm buying up Blockbuster and Hollywood Video stock as we speak! Sometimes ... what's old is new!

Old 07-25-2012, 09:44 AM

11,892 posts, read 15,242,564 times
Default I can see why..

As an avid moviegoer, I have written on this forum the lack of courtesy from some audience members. Talking, texting, People kicking seats and yelling back at the screen, Drunks, and fights because someone "nudged" someone else while getting to their seat.. Unless you go to the morning or afternoon shows where it is usually fine. fortunately the last movie "Savages" I saw with my girlfriend (Hi Honey!) was empty and quiet.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:55 PM

7,373 posts, read 13,758,931 times
I was going to say the same thing as Scott not to mention the ridiculous prices. If you want a snack you are forced to re finance your home

Old 07-25-2012, 01:37 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,822,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
As an avid moviegoer, I have written on this forum the lack of courtesy from some audience members. Talking, texting, People kicking seats and yelling back at the screen, Drunks, and fights because someone "nudged" someone else while getting to their seat.. Unless you go to the morning or afternoon shows where it is usually fine. fortunately the last movie "Savages" I saw with my girlfriend (Hi Honey!) was empty and quiet.

While I never really had any bad encounters with other audience members, I don't care for jam packed theaters. My work schedule allows me to hit the first show of the day (usually 11amish), very nice for avoiding crowds. Wait for a few weeks after it's been out and no one is there.

On a general note, does it seem like they push movies out of theaters sooner these days? It seems like after a movie is out for about 2-3 weeks, I already receive emails from amazon about preordering that movie on DVD.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:47 PM

26,109 posts, read 28,515,910 times
Quote:
On a general note, does it seem like they push movies out of theaters sooner these days? It seems like after a movie is out for about 2-3 weeks, I already receive emails from amazon about preordering that movie on DVD.
That's probably a huge reason why attendance is down. It used to take a year for a movie to show up on video, now it's less than six months and you can Netflix it.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:22 PM

29,994 posts, read 29,822,835 times
I'm somewhat amazed that cinemas have been able to stay in business. Just make the movie and charge $5 for it on Netflix or iTunes.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:05 PM

9,745 posts, read 15,440,611 times
I haven't been in a theater in a decade. Is it really $12 now? Let's see, I could pay $12 to sit in a theater with a bunch of people being noisy and annoying, watching a movie on a screen that's too large, with audio that's WAY too loud, AND there would have to actually be a movie playing that interests me in the first place (haven't come across one of those in a looong time). Or, I could watch whatever I want on my computer for a fraction of the price, without a bunch of annoying strangers around, with considerably better picture quality, audio I can adjust myself, and I can even eat my dinner at the same time if I want (without taking out a loan). Not really a surprise that movie attendance is low.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:43 AM

7,008 posts, read 6,515,315 times
Audience behavior has gotten worse over the years no doubt about that but I think it depends on the movie, too, and the class of people it attracts [I doubt there would be loud talking or snacking at a showing of "The Artist"].

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
True. I remember when movies would stay in theaters for months, there was plenty of time to see it. Now, if you don't see a movie on opening weekend or the week after you'll miss it and then it's available on DVD the following month.

In the 90s popular movies would stick around for months, some for even a year or more. After the initial theater run ends it would be released on VHS/DVD a year later.

In contrast the last installment of "Harry Potter" was hugely successful but it was out of the theaters after only 5 months and was on DVD a few months later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies