Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 01:58 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,197,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
So those two videos I posted of guy teaching how to talk that would be a southern twang . A drawl is when you talk slow and hard drawl is when you are talking v e r y s l o w .

New accent getting hold in US now is the vocal fry way of talking.

It is getting big among young people now.

The Vocal Fry Epidemic - YouTube

Very big among gays and pop stars.

Among gays gives you less of man voice and bit more girls voice.
Yes. Twangs are more staccato and pronounced, drawls are softer and more stretched out.

Never heard of "vocal fry" before, and from the video you posted, that is fine with me! It's an ugly way of speaking and makes the person using it sound like an idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 04:18 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,418,949 times
Hello. As Ruby and some others mentioned, different southern states have different accents. I have a friend from Louisiana and she has the most gorgeous Cajun accent I've ever heard. I've always lived either in Georgia or Tennessee and I certainly don't talk like that.

Even different sections of an individual state will have different accents. Native north Georgians sound very different than those from south Georgia. I remember reading an article in the Atlanta Journal when Jimmy Carter was president. A linguist at Emory said there were five or six different accents within the state. He even listed southwest Georgia and southeast Georgia separately. As a Georgia native I agree. I can usually tell what part of the state someone is from originally.

It really doesn't matter what your accent is. If you're a good person I'll like you!

Old 09-05-2012, 03:13 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,048,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
Hello. As Ruby and some others mentioned, different southern states have different accents. I have a friend from Louisiana and she has the most gorgeous Cajun accent I've ever heard. I've always lived either in Georgia or Tennessee and I certainly don't talk like that.

Even different sections of an individual state will have different accents. Native north Georgians sound very different than those from south Georgia. I remember reading an article in the Atlanta Journal when Jimmy Carter was president. A linguist at Emory said there were five or six different accents within the state. He even listed southwest Georgia and southeast Georgia separately. As a Georgia native I agree. I can usually tell what part of the state someone is from originally.

It really doesn't matter what your accent is. If you're a good person I'll like you!
Yes I think the only way for me to understand is I'm just going to have to hear more people talking.

People seem to say the movie JFK ,Mississippi Burning ,Tremors and Dead Man Walking are really bad has people in south don't talk like that.

What about Holly Hunter in Raising Arizona she from GA or Sling Blade are these more true Southern accents .

What about Andy Griffith or Beverly Hillbillies ?

Also I was reading the southern accents put more aw and ah in words.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:54 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,558,546 times
The best way to dectect an accent is through conversation. Some people, like my wife, suddenly pronunciate correctly when put on the spot such as; reading aloud or conversing on the phone.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Thye southern accent most talk about and I heard when in the army can be heard by watching the movie;midnight in the garden of good and evil. Even the actors not southern do a good job and some of the actors are actual residence and were involved the the real life story. I had heard it was a acent that "better wouldn't melt i their mouths". Pretty well confirmed by the reaction they got from women. Normally more spoken in the areas such as Savvanah;Charleston and some areas of alabama where mnay of the rich european immagrated to. They most owned large land holding i sugar cane etc and even brought there fox hunting with them.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:50 PM

Here is some movies with southern accents I found doing some internet searching today.

Tell me how authentic it is or close to being real.

Raising Arizona ( who sound more authentic with southern accents in this movie)

Raising Arizona 1987

Raising Arizona Full Movie - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3-Y6UdDNWU

The two girls talking

Fried Green Tomatoes

Fried Green Tomatoes (3/10) Movie CLIP - The Best Birthday (1991) HD - YouTube

Most people in this movie.

Sling Blade 1996

"Sling Blade" (1996) Theatrical Trailer - YouTube

The girl talking to the guy sounds like Southern accents . The young guy talking may be bit of southern accents .

Fried Green Tomatoes (1/10) Movie CLIP - Buddy's Accident (1991) HD - YouTube

Old 09-06-2012, 07:18 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,826,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
The best way to dectect an accent is through conversation. Some people, like my wife, suddenly pronunciate correctly when put on the spot such as; reading aloud or conversing on the phone.
I have a thick NY/New England accent when I converse normally, but when I read, it comes out as "normal". I don't get it. I think it's because I actually have to think of each word.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I have a thick NY/New England accent when I converse normally, but when I read, it comes out as "normal". I don't get it. I think it's because I actually have to think of each word.

Are you sure it not Southern Drawl ?

Read this thread to understand the difference between these two the Southern Twang vs. Southern Drawl

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...ern-drawl.html

There is 5 pages on it it is a big discussen.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:35 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,072,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
I don't know the features of accent or dialect .

Here what I found of texas accent

Tennessee accent - YouTube

She from UK doing the texas accent.

Also what do you mean people in Canada have thick accent with deep voice.
Nope. That is not even close to a Texas accent. I'm from Texas. I spent over 55 years of my life there. I do not speak that way. I can ya'll with the best of 'em, but I don't talk like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Steel Magnolias
If you ever get to see that movie, notice that the accent of the Sally Field role (Julia Roberts' mother) is not as pronounced as some of the other female co-stars.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:45 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,845,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post

Also, when you move to an area, you begin to pick up their accent. I know that is what happened to me.
I can only hope this happens to me!

I find the North Carolina accent varies a lot, when you get into the mountains it's a lot more diversified with the accent. Some people who lived here almost all of their lives sound almost northern and I usually cannot pick up their accent till they say certain words. There are however those that have the thicker accent and I can pick that up almost instantly, but I'm pretty use to it now. Like someone else pointed out, they say "oil" really strange but they say "orange" correctly (I don't, I leave out the "a").

I find that the more east you go into North Carolina, the thicker (or more noticeable) the accent gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies