Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 08:39 AM

4,691 posts, read 307,723 times

Advertisements

I've watched many movies that made me feel really sad and many that made me wipe some tears away. But, there is one that made me break down and cry as though this movie was a part of my life. It is a "made for TV" movie, based on true events, titled "Alex: The Life of a Child".
Alex: The Life of a Child (TV 1986) - IMDb

I watched this first run movie on TV one night, and the ending was so heartbreaking, that I cried as though I really knew this family. Six months later, the movie was on again, and I, apparently being a glutten for saddness, watched it again - thinking that since I've already seen this movie once, I could handle watching it again. Wrong! I broke down and cried even more than the first time. It was something that the little girl did and said just as she was dying that got me. I wonder, if it was shown again, would I be tempted to watch it again and be that saddened again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 11:08 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Alien/Aliens -- the mama alien died.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:19 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,489,416 times
Star Trek II: Spock dies

Star Trek Generations: Kirk dies

Star Trek Insurrection: Data dies

Old 11-30-2012, 11:48 AM

4,691 posts, read 307,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Alien/Aliens -- the mama alien died.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:12 PM

101 posts, read 249,828 times
Thanks for the list guys! I'm certainly taking note. I love watching these movies when I'm sad/depressed. I know, right? But I like to rub it in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I don't really see the ending to Casablanca as entirely tragic. It's not a 100% happy, tidy ending, but I don't think it's all bad, either. In fact I think that's one reason it's so good; you wind up with a mixture of feelings after watching it. Come to think of it, most of my favorite movies are that way.
I agree the ending wasn't entirely tragic. I think it was the beginning of a beautiful friendship. But they still didn't end up together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
The Last American Virgin - hot girl dumps good boy and goes back to bad boy
Saw this last year and yes... those are the endings I like! So sad Btw, surprisingly great soundtrack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceege View Post
Alex: The Life of a Child (TV 1986) - IMDb

I watched this first run movie on TV one night, and the ending was so heartbreaking, that I cried as though I really knew this family. Six months later, the movie was on again, and I, apparently being a glutten for saddness, watched it again - thinking that since I've already seen this movie once, I could handle watching it again. Wrong! I broke down and cried even more than the first time. It was something that the little girl did and said just as she was dying that got me. I wonder, if it was shown again, would I be tempted to watch it again and be that saddened again.
Aww I hate when children die. It's the most heartwrenching scene they can ever do in movies! I will certainly try to watch this.

I get the same with Titanic. I get depressed for two weeks, even if I wasn't before watching it (contrary to other movies on this list). I thought I could handle it after a few years and watching it a few times. But it still has the same effect on me! It's all those people dying... a good person like Jack being treated so wrongly, finding love and losing it in such a way! Even the song is so eerie... Okay I'll stop. I dont wanna get depressed coz it's almost Christmas!

Old 11-30-2012, 03:15 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceege View Post
City of Angels - As soon as Seth gives up being an angel for Maggie, she gets killed.

Sand Pebbles - Jake gets killed at the end.
Saving Private Ryan - Captain Miller gets killed at the end.
Philadelphia - Andrew dies at the end.
Steel Magnolias - Shelby dies
Terms of Endearment - Emmas dies
Perfect Storm - everyone on the boat dies

And this is just a small list of sad movies. I just realized, I have spent a lot of time crying over fictional characters who died.

Can't believe that you essentially just wrecked the movies for people who haven't seen them.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:45 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,709,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
Seriously? The thread is called "Movies/books with tragic endings." How do you think anything mentioned in here is going to end?

As for the original question, try Never Let Me Go. either the book or the movie works, although I preferred the book.
You can still name the movie and know it has a tragic ending but not know what that ending is.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:43 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalfuchsia View Post
I agree the ending wasn't entirely tragic. I think it was the beginning of a beautiful friendship. But they still didn't end up together!
That's why it's such a great ending! If Rick had run off to America with Ilsa, Victor Laszlo would have been screwed. Ilsa seemed willing to do that in order to be with Rick, which is kind of crappy (and maybe Rick realized that). And if they had ended up together they'd always have the fact of what they did to Victor hanging over their heads. There was just no way to give it 100% happy ending. Man, I love that movie.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:47 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Right At Your Door.

Right at Your Door (2006) - IMDb

Old 12-01-2012, 01:37 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,949 times
Lilya 4-Ever
The Grey Zone
Irreversible
Funny Games
Midnight Cowboy
The Strangers
American Beauty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies