Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 11:15 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,723,918 times

Advertisements

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder !" Millions loved it. A few hated it...............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 12:16 PM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Just saw it last night and thought it was really good. Not in 3d I liked the tie ins with the lord of the rings and the cameos with familiar characters like when they went to the elf city Rivendale but where was Arwen? Cate Blanchett is INCREDIBLE simply STUNNING !!
While watching it some of the story came back to me from the animated movie from years ago. Does anyone remember the comic book that you could read along to while the record played? But it seems ALOT more scenes have been added to this movie, I suppose to have it make THE MOST MONEY it can.
What I missed were the hints of antiquity that the other movies had with all the ruins and the over grown stone statues that peppered the country side as the fellowship camped or often ran by them. Did they forget to put that stuff in?
Also I'm not sure of the characters whether we just didn't have enough time to get to know them or they are not as interesting as the fellowship.
Overall the movie is good but I don't think it reaches the level as the other 3 did.
We shall see.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:38 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Just saw it last night and thought it was really good. Not in 3d I liked the tie ins with the lord of the rings and the cameos with familiar characters like when they went to the elf city Rivendale but where was Arwen? Cate Blanchett is INCREDIBLE simply STUNNING !!
While watching it some of the story came back to me from the animated movie from years ago. Does anyone remember the comic book that you could read along to while the record played? But it seems ALOT more scenes have been added to this movie, I suppose to have it make THE MOST MONEY it can.
What I missed were the hints of antiquity that the other movies had with all the ruins and the over grown stone statues that peppered the country side as the fellowship camped or often ran by them. Did they forget to put that stuff in?
Also I'm not sure of the characters whether we just didn't have enough time to get to know them or they are not as interesting as the fellowship.
Overall the movie is good but I don't think it reaches the level as the other 3 did.
We shall see.
I think there are probably too many characters to get deep into them like with LOTR but I really don't remember that much character development in the first LOTR either...it kinda seemed like we learned more about them as the series progressed, especially Boromir & Aargon. I don't remember anything specific about Gimili or Legolas (I'm sure I butchered the spelling of these names but I'm too lazy to look them up) so I'm okay with them not doing a back story for all of the dwarfs.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:25 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Well now I can add to my post we saw it the night before last. I thought it was great! We loved it. We came back to watch the other 3 here at the house, my GF has never seen any of the other movies before we got to The Two Towers she is taking Return Of The King home to watch.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:11 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Saw it last night in 3d (recommended) visuals were state of the art and well worth the price of admission, some parts of the movie did drag on a bit too long but on the whole well worth seeing and its only going to get better in the ensuing movies.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:53 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
It was good but not on the level of LOTR.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:13 AM

382 posts, read 721,508 times
I saw it and enjoyed it quite a bit. As some suggest, the pacing at certain points might be slow for some viewers, and it's pretty long. I saw it in good old-fashioned, slow frame 2d, as I wanted to feel immersed in the world, but it might be worth seeing the the "fancier" versions for the experience, if you're into that.
There's a lighter tone at some points which remind me of Russian fairytale films, but there are also a lot of over-the-top fighting scenes as well, which stray from the book, but which should satisfy those who enjoyed the earlier films.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:10 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
If Peter Jackson had made the Star Wars prequels, would Jar Jar Binks have had the equivalent of a bunny-rabbit driven sled?
Only Peter Jackson could make riding a bunny-rabbit sled with half your head plastered in bird poop look cool.

Lesser directors make sure Greedo knew Darth Vader who built C3PO, who was saved by Chewbacca who knew Yoda... who the Emperor couldn't find even though he knew Yoda got away and was the most powerful jedi in the universe... and also knew Jar Jar, who knew Greedo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies