Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2012, 01:32 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,027,603 times

Advertisements

My subjective ranking of Steve Martin movies:

My Blue Heaven - A+
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles - A+
Parenthood - A
Roxanne - A

I can watch these four movies endlessly and not get tired of them, the first two especially.

The Jerk - B+
All of Me - B+
The Muppet Movie - B+
Little Shop of Horrors - B
Baby Mama - B (he was in this?)
It's Complicated - B
Three Amigos - B-
Father of the Bride, Part II - C+
Father of the Bride, Part I - C+
Cheaper By the Dozen - C
Shopgirl - D

I think that's all I've seen. I may have seen half of Sgt. Bilko once and wasn't too impressed, probably around C+.

Major ones I haven't seen would include Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, The Man With Two Brains, L.A. Story, The Spanish Prisoner.

How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 03:21 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
My general reaction to Steve Martin is that when he's playing it straight, he's absolutely hilarious. When he's trying to be funny, he's just obnoxious. The exception being Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, which is hilarious beginning to end.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:33 PM

958 posts, read 2,133,281 times
He's a better banjo player than he is an actor IMO.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:53 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
My subjective ranking of Steve Martin movies:

My Blue Heaven - A+
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles - A+
Parenthood - A
Roxanne - A

I can watch these four movies endlessly and not get tired of them, the first two especially.

The Jerk - B+
All of Me - B+
The Muppet Movie - B+
Little Shop of Horrors - B
Baby Mama - B (he was in this?)
It's Complicated - B
Three Amigos - B-
Father of the Bride, Part II - C+
Father of the Bride, Part I - C+
Cheaper By the Dozen - C
Shopgirl - D

I think that's all I've seen. I may have seen half of Sgt. Bilko once and wasn't too impressed, probably around C+.

Major ones I haven't seen would include Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, The Man With Two Brains, L.A. Story, The Spanish Prisoner.

How about you?
Based on the ratings of what you've already seen, I'd surmise you'd rate Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and The Man With Two Brains in the A-/B+ area. The former is very plot driven and it helps that Caine is very very good in it, the latter is basically stupid but has some fantastic one-liners, a few great sight gags (e.g. the DUI test) and Kathleen Turner.

The others, meh. LA Story was decent but not really because of Martin.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:56 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
Don't forget The Big Year. More of an ensemble cast and not a role that demanded much. The movie would have been better without the Hallmark/Normal Rockwell propaganda message at the end. But, since I bird, I liked it. Don't know what I'd rank it.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:24 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,182,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
. . . the latter is basically stupid but has some fantastic one-liners, a few great sight gags (e.g. the DUI test) and Kathleen Turner.
"Get that cat outta here." I still think it is a very funny movie, David Warner is wonderful, tons of fabulous one-liners.

I can't rate things like this, but I really liked Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, Roxanne, All of Me, L. A. Story and Leap of Faith (great movie). I also recall liking The Lonely Guy, but it's been a long time, and now all I really remember (and loved) was the restaurant scene:

Steve Martin - The Lonely Guy - Restaurant Scene - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies