Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 10:34 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Pretty good movie. Some might find it offensive but I enjoyed it.
Who would find it offensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 11:19 AM

744 posts, read 1,091,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Who would find it offensive?

Jealous crybabies like Spike Lee, who're just jealous they didn't think of the idea first.

I finally saw it yesterday and while it definitely doesn't rival Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs or even Kill Bill, I found it much more enjoyable and engrossing than Inglorious Basterds. I was very impressed by Jamie Foxx--there were moments where he showed a vulnerable side that quite frankly I thought he was incapable of pulling off.

But the highlight, IMO, was Leonordo DiCaprio's Calvin Candy.

Also, Don Johnson's character Big Daddy when he told Django and Dr. Schultz "I don't like you or your fancy-pants n******." The way he delivered that line, I just found that hilarious for some reason.

And also, at almost 3 hours, it wasn't too long. If anything, it was too short!

Old 01-09-2013, 12:10 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
Samuel Jackson was hilarious in it as well

Old 01-09-2013, 01:50 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Didn't think much of this film.

Christoph Waltz is a good actor, but this role simply didn't do him justice, imo. First, I felt that they were going out of their way to squeeze in a scene where he could speak German. Waltz has been universally praised for his role as the multi-lingual Hans Landa in Inglorious Basterds and I think the writers were hoping to cash in on some of that goodwill in this film. But the scene just ended up feeling forced and a bit ridiculous because I'm sure Kerry Washington can't speak any German beyond the basic elementary responses she was spoon fed in this movie. Second, I thought Waltz's demise in the movie was untimely, unglorious and premature. Maybe it's just me, but I felt that his character became far less interesting after they arrived at "Candie Land."

Sam Jackson and Leo turned in the best performances. Even if you have objections to the characterization of slavery in this movie and Sam L's "shuckin' and jivin'," you have to admit that nobody is funnier when using profanity than Samuel L. Jackson. The look on his face in his introductory scene had me spit all of my soda out and burst out laughing. "You mean, what boss? You mean, you want me to make a bed for this mudda effa right here?" It was also interesting how Steven, Sam L's character, was far more perceptive than Candie and spoke to Candie as an "equal" behind closed doors.

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2012/12...go-jackson.jpg

Foxx's acting was not good, especially when he was pretending to fumble the words printed on the Wanted poster. Sam and Leo really outshined him, imo.

The use of rap music was a bit awkward. But hey, it's a Quentin Tarantino film. Awkward is what he does.

Overall, the movie was not bad (as in it wasn't good). I've heard comparisons to Inglorious Basterds, but that movie was much better and had much more captivating dialogue.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:31 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

Sam Jackson and Leo turned in the best performances. Even if you have objections to the characterization of slavery in this movie and Sam L's "shuckin' and jivin'," you have to admit that nobody is funnier when using profanity than Samuel L. Jackson. The look on his face in his introductory scene had me spit all of my soda out and burst out laughing. "You mean, what boss? You mean, you want me to make a bed for this mudda effa right here?" .

Lol that got me too. He was great.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:07 PM

318 posts, read 506,067 times
no, when samuel L. saw Leo get shot and he was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I almost died lol

Old 01-10-2013, 11:02 AM

601 posts, read 1,075,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Its a Tarantino movie. Expect the unexpected. I was expecting everyone to get killed
Yeap, he's in a league of his own.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Didn't think much of this film.

Christoph Waltz is a good actor, but this role simply didn't do him justice, imo. First, I felt that they were going out of their way to squeeze in a scene where he could speak German. Waltz has been universally praised for his role as the multi-lingual Hans Landa in Inglorious Basterds and I think the writers were hoping to cash in on some of that goodwill in this film. But the scene just ended up feeling forced and a bit ridiculous because I'm sure Kerry Washington can't speak any German beyond the basic elementary responses she was spoon fed in this movie. Second, I thought Waltz's demise in the movie was untimely, unglorious and premature. Maybe it's just me, but I felt that his character became far less interesting after they arrived at "Candie Land."

Sam Jackson and Leo turned in the best performances. Even if you have objections to the characterization of slavery in this movie and Sam L's "shuckin' and jivin'," you have to admit that nobody is funnier when using profanity than Samuel L. Jackson. The look on his face in his introductory scene had me spit all of my soda out and burst out laughing. "You mean, what boss? You mean, you want me to make a bed for this mudda effa right here?" It was also interesting how Steven, Sam L's character, was far more perceptive than Candie and spoke to Candie as an "equal" behind closed doors.
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2012/12...go-jackson.jpg

Foxx's acting was not good, especially when he was pretending to fumble the words printed on the Wanted poster. Sam and Leo really outshined him, imo.

The use of rap music was a bit awkward. But hey, it's a Quentin Tarantino film. Awkward is what he does.
Overall, the movie was not bad (as in it wasn't good). I've heard comparisons to Inglorious Basterds, but that movie was much better and had much more captivating dialogue.

Yeah their roles was so live, serious and comedic moments.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Just watched this. Brilliant
Tarantino has a knack of making you hang on every scene.
Christopher Waltz; excellent again. Would like to see more of his work
The violent, abuse scenes are far more confronting and shocking then the shooting & killing.
Killer soundtrack too
Yes, this movie has a good length too. My eyes barely blinked lol, I was deep into it.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Saw it yesterday. Lots of blood, but I love it when the bad guys get blown to bits.

Spoiler

I had no idea that Samuel L. Jackson was the old man inside the mansion.

Too bad the bounty hunter got killed, he was cool.
Yeah he was cool. They did a really good job on Jackson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies