U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2013, 03:33 PM

6,617 posts, read 4,145,121 times

Advertisements

Do movie theaters still check your bags because of the shooting that happened during the Batman movie? Just wondering.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 04:23 PM

14,693 posts, read 24,766,448 times
Depends on what theater. Even before Batman, there were theaters checking handbags.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:28 PM

24,497 posts, read 38,503,997 times
I have never experienced a movie theater checking handbags before or after the shooting. Around here, half the movie theaters don't even have a ticket checking attendant.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:46 AM

20,828 posts, read 62,357,249 times
It really does depend on the theatre and situation. Back in the 1970s we always checked bags for the midnight shows - too many glass beer bottles, and hearing one roll down the slope or break is annoying, to say the least. We also checked the bulky down jackets as well if there was something suspicious. I had one employee who was good at getting close enough to a suspicious customer that he would bump into her. *clink* "I'm sorry, you are going to have to take that beer back out to your car."

And for those who must protest, yes, it is legal. A theatre is a PRIVATE business, and as long as it doesn't discriminate based on the usual race, religion, or other protected groups, it can set its own standards. The fact that the public can buy a ticket to enter does not remove the rights of the theatre owner, and more than a restaurant that denies entry to men without jacket and tie, or a business with the sign "no shoes, no service."

Old 01-19-2013, 07:00 PM

6,675 posts, read 10,638,301 times
If they don't stop raising popcorn and soda prices I am going back to hiding stuff in my bra.

Few years back, I popped 2 bags of pc, hid them in my oversize bra, and everyone thought I was a double D, hidden by my coat. Went to the movies today and paid $11 for the smallest popcorn bag and the smallest soda. This is so unfair, when a whole box of microwave bags (4 to a box) costs $2.29.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:52 PM

20,828 posts, read 62,357,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
If they don't stop raising popcorn and soda prices I am going back to hiding stuff in my bra.

Few years back, I popped 2 bags of pc, hid them in my oversize bra, and everyone thought I was a double D, hidden by my coat. Went to the movies today and paid $11 for the smallest popcorn bag and the smallest soda. This is so unfair, when a whole box of microwave bags (4 to a box) costs $2.29.
FUNNY! You do realize that your kids might grow up very confused about the purposes and abilities of breasts? (Little Tony, two years old, sees popcorn coming out of his mom's bra, and is mightily impressed and ready to tell friends.)

I have one customer with a $150 magnum of champagne on the concession menu. He says it sells well. That one even startled me.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:06 PM

14,082 posts, read 14,886,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Do movie theaters still check your bags because of the shooting that happened during the Batman movie? Just wondering.
I've never had my bag checked in a movie theater.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:17 PM

204 posts, read 839,849 times
I go to the movies pretty frequently and go to multiple theaters; I've had my bag checked once, it was an unpleasant experience and I probably won't return to that theater because of it.

I work and live in a very urban area, so I carry a messenger bag like half the other men in this city. I was asked by the security guy if he could look inside my bag and I said of course go ahead. He took out ever single item and proceeded to ask me me what each one was. He did it with magazines, my umbrella (it was raining), my first dirty gym shoes (sealed in a clear plastic bag), my water bottle, and a spoon from yogurt I ate earlier in the day. After he questioned me about each item and why I had it, I just turn around, got a ticket refund, and took a cab to another theater. I probably won't be back.

Not one of the 4 other theaters I frequent as ever asked to check my bag. If asked, I would oblige, but there should be a competent, friendly,and professional person to do them.The Aurora came in through a rear door which he had previously propped open, how would a bag check prevent that?

Old 01-23-2013, 12:23 PM

7,844 posts, read 12,138,277 times
Depends on the area. I've been to the movies several times since the shooting and have never had to have my bag checked. There is a movie theater a few towns over from me that had metal detectors installed because they had an incident. I saw ET there and haven't been there since. Not sure if they still have/use the metal detectors.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:37 PM

7,373 posts, read 13,787,455 times
thecy check for candy and goodies. I put them in my wifes pants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies