U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 08:29 PM

24,682 posts, read 50,886,379 times

Advertisements

Disney has been around for longer than most people's grandparents, yet of course it's still associated with childhood. Someone the other day thought I was weird i was 27 and still enjoyed Disney films - mainly the classics but I also like the more recent ones and the Pixar ones. My favourite Disney film is Dumbo, it's in my top 5 favourite films of all time, seriously. People think it's cute, which it is, but I just think Disney films are generally brilliant (a few bombs) with unforgettable stories and music. I grew up watching Disney films and re-watching them is just as enjoyable as when I was a child.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 09:30 PM

577 posts, read 907,500 times
Well considering the amount of movies among other things Disney sells, it's probably not unusual at all. There are certainly lots of folks that collect Disney stuff, and I'm thinking many of them buy all the movies as they come out as well. It's great animation as well. I don't buy or watch a lot of Disney but I did purchase the Walt Disney Treasures sets for Tommorowland and On the Front Lines. I think I even still have an old Jungle Book tape somewhere. Really you like what you like (shrug). There's far worse things in the world to be a fan of.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:59 PM

20,823 posts, read 62,322,465 times
I'm weird. I don't much care if people think that or call me that. C B has it exactly right. It is all about what you like, not what other people want to shove off on you as what you SHOULD like. Embrace weirdness. One of my favorite bits of cinema is a Looney Tunes called "What's Opera Doc?"

Another is the little band marching across a tournament field in the cartoon "Knight's Must Fall." (Start at 3:07 and go to 3:20 - the little drummer and the music are hysterical to me)

Old 02-21-2013, 11:42 PM

13,036 posts, read 23,268,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I'm weird. I don't much care if people think that or call me that. C B has it exactly right. It is all about what you like, not what other people want to shove off on you as what you SHOULD like. Embrace weirdness. One of my favorite bits of cinema is a Looney Tunes called "What's Opera Doc?"

Another is the little band marching across a tournament field in the cartoon "Knight's Must Fall." (Start at 3:07 and go to 3:20 - the little drummer and the music are hysterical to me)

Spot on ! I could not care less what people think of my tastes, likes and dislikes ! "normal" is grossly over-rated anyway !

But yes people often do like to make fun of you if you are an adult and still enjoy Disney films and animated movies. But who cares. I must admit I love Disney movies up until "Beauty and the Beast" , after that I thought it all went down hill a bit.

And I am a huge fan of Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Tex Avery cartoons and many more. I also love to read Asterix and Obelix books and many children's books.

And still manage a healthy interest in "proper" "serious" "culture" like the theatre, "Indie" and foreign movies, Opera, Classical music..... So if people want to deride me for enjoying Bugs Bunny or classics like "The Aristocats" or "The Jungle Book" then I really could not care less....

Life's too short to be bothered by what people think of you or having to pretend someone you are not...

Fabulous choice above Harry Chickpea by the way ! One of my "dreams" is to see the touring Orchestra doing all the Opera Bits from Bugs Bunny live ! I am told it is absolutely fabulous with the cartoons on a giant screen.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:34 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,833,056 times
I'm an adult and I love Disney movies and other children's books/movies. If people think that's weird, I don't care.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:49 PM

4,740 posts, read 5,488,667 times
I know several adults, including men in their 30s, 40s, and 50s, that collect Disney movies, merchandise, memorabilia, and love taking trips to Disney World. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Someone else posted the Bugs Bunny cartoons. While not Disney, I love those enough that I recently bought the complete set of Golden Collections on DVD from Amazon. My wife thinks it was a pointless purchase but I love seeing some cartoons I haven't seen since I was little. And now that I have a daughter, I can't wait to share them with her as well.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:59 PM

12,349 posts, read 14,707,157 times
I'm 61 and love Disney movies, the Pixar films. Lots of fun to watch. Better than a lot of the junk Hollywood is cranking out today.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:02 PM

3,185 posts, read 4,473,439 times
I like Disney movies and other animated movies, but I don't know if you could call me a "huge" fan.

When I get really really sick (every few years I'll get a REAL bad cold or something) I just watch The Lion King over and over again and I swear I get better in half the time.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:11 PM

577 posts, read 907,500 times
Well some of it is nostalgia. Like collecting any kind of material from the past. on the other hand some people just like Disney films etc. Disney did some top rate stuff over the years. For instance, The Old Mill was an academy award winner and is often listed as one of the best cartoon shorts ever.

The old mill - Silly Symphony Walt Disney 1937 - YouTube

Old 02-24-2013, 02:42 PM

1,712 posts, read 1,685,374 times
Yes, some people think it's weird. They're wrong.

I've been discovering all the classic American songwriters of the pre-rock period, and it's pretty impossible to do this without mentioning the classic Disney songwriters. Notably, the Sherman Brothers and Howard Ashman / Alan Menken would make my short list of significant American popular songwriters. Other luminaries such as Sammy Cahn and Peggy Lee did some important work for Disney as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies