Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 11:16 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Obviously they definitely do need movie stars, especially because fewer and fewer people bother to read movie critics. I agree that a few movies will pull in people, especially young guys, for movies with SFX, but that only covers a small area. I'm sure I wouldn't be going to see WWZ if not for Brad Pitt.

Who was the guest on the program?
Yes, I'd agree with you on Brad Pitt. But, I like him mainly for his donations to progressive causes like his $100,000 donation to fight Prop 8 at the ballot box. I don't really care to see a washed-up wrinkled prune like Sly Stallone, Mel Gibson or Arnold Schwarzenegger. I'll try to find the interview. It came on my local NPR station (KPCC) on Thurs about 3:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 02:21 PM

173 posts, read 209,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Why won't Bruce Willis just go away?
Why should he? These new guys can't touch any of that. Someone made a comment about Brad Pitt. LOL I haven't seen a single movie he made that wasn't a chick movie. Fight Club? LOL Really? Seagal would put the F in **** him up!

Death Wish 3 Main Theme - YouTube

Old 06-30-2013, 02:24 PM

Oh yeah...for sure.

Matt Damon and even Vin Diesel are TOAST!!

Above the Law aka Nico (1988) - YouTube

Old 06-30-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Dweller View Post
Why should he? These new guys can't touch any of that. Someone made a comment about Brad Pitt. LOL I haven't seen a single movie he made that wasn't a chick movie. Fight Club? LOL Really? Seagal would put the F in **** him up!

Death Wish 3 Main Theme - YouTube
I just saw the movie White House Down mainly to get out of the heat. It would have been successful with ANY muscular attractive white boy du jour. It's interesting how we don't see any ALL STAR movies with "A" celebrities anymore, unless they are working for scale wages as a favor to the producer or director. The robert Redford directed "The Company you Keep" was such a production.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:30 PM

Work on it boys....you ain't even close....

Dirty Harry - Special Delivery - The Enforcer - YouTube

Old 07-01-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Yes, I'd agree with you on Brad Pitt. But, I like him mainly for his donations to progressive causes like his $100,000 donation to fight Prop 8 at the ballot box. I don't really care to see a washed-up wrinkled prune like Sly Stallone, Mel Gibson or Arnold Schwarzenegger. I'll try to find the interview. It came on my local NPR station (KPCC) on Thurs about 3:30 PM.
It was Wesley Morris. He succinctly states that it's the genre that attracts the audience, not the movie star. Look at a movie like "V for Vendetta". There wasn't any "A" movie star in that one that American audiences easily recognize. Natalie Portman wasn't a household name at that time. She had not won an Academy Award yet. Because the film already had a comic book following and was a Warshawski Bros production, it didn't need them. Here's the clip:

'White House Down': Pairing Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx is no accident | Marketplace.org

Old 07-01-2013, 04:17 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
I heard a radio show the other day where the guest commented that Hollywood is banking on the idea that they no longer need movie stars that supposedly (or really) maximize audiences because of their star power. I started to wonder about this, because I have always thought this. How difficult would it be to create another Tom Cruise, for example? And the studios would certainly save money by not having to pay about $20 million or whatever he makes per film. I think that nowadays people will see ANYTHING. They don't even have to be great plots. They only have to have special effects, a few pretty faces and bodies, but not really a whole lot of acting skills as in the heyday of Hollywood. Do you think it's true that Hollywood no longer needs to have mega movie stars in its movies?
An interesting question.

Thinking about some of the really big movies of the last few years, it seems that all of them stacked the deck just enough by involving actual actors - Robert Downey Jr., Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jude Law...

I think that the idea that there are few people working in Hollywood today who do not have real acting skills is somewhat fallacious.
Yes, the vehicles they choose do tend to diminish their talent somewhat, but, look at any of the smaller movies that any of the big players have starred in, and, yes, I am including Bruce Willis,Tom Cruise and even Vin Diesel and Jason Statham here, and tell me that these people cannot act.

As for those who are less "artful," they still open big and get people into the theaters.
Who doesn't want Dwayne Johnson in their movie?

And now Marvel is reportedly courting Mr. Diesel. Love or hate them, these guys have big followings. And for the studios that's enough.

Would Marvel have fought so hard to get Robert Downey Jr. back for the next couple of "Avengers" movies if he wasn't the mega star of that universe?

Old 07-01-2013, 06:42 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:

I agree. I also like Pitt - and others - for reasons that may have nothing to do with acting. But that doesn't matter. It's part of the star mystique, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies