U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 05:24 PM

16,775 posts, read 14,955,024 times

Advertisements

Without giving anything away..... for those who have not yet seen it...

There is something about dark closets and doorways that might have monsters/apparitions behind them.... that I enjoy in scarey movies

That part is always creepy to me, I think we remember back when we were 5 years old and staring at a dark closet...wondering....what if..?

You can keep the slasher gory stuff...I want to see documdramas about things that really happened.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-27-2013, 11:42 PM

6,592 posts, read 11,627,777 times
I saw it today. Really well done with great acting, especially the young ones did a fantastic job!
I don't know what parts were "based on true events" but overall, it was pretty creepy.
Perfect date movie, especially if you haven't been intimate yet. This movie will definitely get you two closer!

I was still amazed at how naive or brave the family was considering how much they endured before seeking help. I would have been in a different state after the first night.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:24 PM

5,642 posts, read 14,739,323 times
I don't believe in ghosts, but I believe in God. If God exists, then it is plausible that demons exist, therefore I believe in the possibility of there being demons. With that said....why are people so scared of demons and ghosts? My thinking is...if they exist then that means LIFE AFTER DEATH exists! To me that is fantastic news...so if I saw a demon or ghost I would be HAPPY.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
I don't believe in ghosts, but I believe in God. If God exists, then it is plausible that demons exist, therefore I believe in the possibility of there being demons. With that said....why are people so scared of demons and ghosts? My thinking is...if they exist then that means LIFE AFTER DEATH exists! To me that is fantastic news...so if I saw a demon or ghost I would be HAPPY.
LOL! Really? So, Mr. Poopy Pants, you wouldn't mind the following dialog?
- After seeing a ghost:
"Hey doss1, did you sh.t your pants?"
"Yeah, I got really scared but it is OK 'cause I am happy!"

LOL.....so sure!

Old 07-29-2013, 05:32 AM

5,642 posts, read 14,739,323 times
^ Yes, I'm serious! I'm the REAL Ghostbuster....

Old 07-29-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
^ Yes, I'm serious! I'm the REAL Ghostbuster....
I believe you more than I believe the existence of ghosts, demons, religion, etc.
I laughed at the final statement the movie made about the existence of demons, afterlife and god being real.
Of course they would say that otherwise it would make the entire premise of the movie a farce.
A nice (marketing and PR) touch much like the "based on true events".

PS. I am going to see Sharknado as well because science say it may happen!

Old 08-03-2013, 10:58 PM

5,165 posts, read 8,676,151 times
I have a problem with a film that promotes the notion that those executed in the Salem Witch Trials were guilty of practicing witchcraft. It's an insulting perversion of history. Nothing of the sort has ever been proven. For that matter, witchcraft has never been proven to even be legitimate.

I'm sure a bunch of the film's defenders will argue that it's "just a film meant to entertain". The problem with that however is that it is being promoted as a "true story", which means there are plenty of gullible illogical people that will easily accept every event and every definitive statement made by the "paranormalists" (or charlatans I should say) as actual fact. I am against censorship and restrictions on creative control, so I am not arguing for that. However, I feel like when you use an artistic medium to distort history whilst promoting it as being steeped in facts, you deserve to be criticized for it.

I'm sure most people will overlook this mainly because of America's overwhelming Christian majority, however, this kind of dishonesty would not be socially acceptable in the case of some other sociological issues. For example, nobody in Hollywood would make a film that is supposedly "based on a true story" with a character of authoritative opinions (as the "paranormalists" in "The Conjuring" are portrayed as being) denying that the Holocaust occurred or declaring that Black slavery in America "wasn't so bad". Should people have the right to make such films? Absolutely, but using an artistic medium to revise history in this way has consequences. Expect to be criticized and called out for what you're doing.

Also, did anybody else notice that women are to blame for all things evil in this film?

Old 08-04-2013, 01:24 AM

3,093 posts, read 4,476,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I have a problem with a film that promotes the notion that those executed in the Salem Witch Trials were guilty of practicing witchcraft. It's an insulting perversion of history. Nothing of the sort has ever been proven. For that matter, witchcraft has never been proven to even be legitimate.

I'm sure a bunch of the film's defenders will argue that it's "just a film meant to entertain". The problem with that however is that it is being promoted as a "true story", which means there are plenty of gullible illogical people that will easily accept every event and every definitive statement made by the "paranormalists" (or charlatans I should say) as actual fact. I am against censorship and restrictions on creative control, so I am not arguing for that. However, I feel like when you use an artistic medium to distort history whilst promoting it as being steeped in facts, you deserve to be criticized for it.

I'm sure most people will overlook this mainly because of America's overwhelming Christian majority, however, this kind of dishonesty would not be socially acceptable in the case of some other sociological issues. For example, nobody in Hollywood would make a film that is supposedly "based on a true story" with a character of authoritative opinions (as the "paranormalists" in "The Conjuring" are portrayed as being) denying that the Holocaust occurred or declaring that Black slavery in America "wasn't so bad". Should people have the right to make such films? Absolutely, but using an artistic medium to revise history in this way has consequences. Expect to be criticized and called out for what you're doing.

Also, did anybody else notice that women are to blame for all things evil in this film?
I don't even really remember when the film mentioned the witch trials. It's been a couple of weeks now. However, if there are gullible people that believe that, then so what? Gullible people believe outlandish things everyday. Also, the majority of Christians in this country today pretty much view the Salem witch trials for what they were.

As for the women being to blame for all things evil...I'm just not seeing it. You're reaching now. The only women that was actually being portrayed as purely evil was the one that openly acknowledged her allegiance to Satan before she killed herself. All the others were simply possessed. And probably the favorite character of most viewers was Lorraine. She was portrayed as truly loving and selfless, so I'd say you're reaching on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.