U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 06:23 PM

20,088 posts, read 23,828,836 times

Advertisements

Saw this today, mostly at the urging of my daughter. I wasn't all that keen on it, because I hated the last Wolverine movie and none of the previews for this one grabbed me. But I was surprised to like it quite a lot. It's not a GREAT movie, but it is a good movie. Well worth the price of matinee show. Actually, the first 2/3 of the movie is really, really good. The last third falters a bit, but doesn't spoil it.

Stay for the mid-credits scene. It sets up the next X-flick.

Sidenote: We saw this on opening weekend, and the theater was maybe 1/8 full. Maybe. We saw Pacific Rim 2 weeks after it opened on a Tuesday night, the theater was easily half full, yet Pacific Rim is being hailed as a box office disappointment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 10:42 PM

4,153 posts, read 8,608,900 times
Saw The Wolverine today and was a little disappointed in the plot. It wasn't a huge disappointment and still worth watching.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:36 PM

6,593 posts, read 11,649,604 times
I watched like 30-40 minutes of it while waiting for The Conjuring, I agree, plot is bad to the point where it made the movie quite awful. I don't think it is worth the matinee price, may be rental unless you are young and/or into Wolverine in a big way. I think the first Wolverine movie was better.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:41 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,319,561 times
I guess we don't have a consensus I think I'll see it or R.I.P.D. this week.

It's too bad Lynn Collins died in the first Wolverine. I would pay to watch her read the phone book.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:57 PM

6,593 posts, read 11,649,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post
I guess we don't have a consensus I think I'll see it or R.I.P.D. this week.

It's too bad Lynn Collins died in the first Wolverine. I would pay to watch her read the phone book.
Ha ha...I didn't know she was the hottie in John Carter, she looked way different but still HAWTT! [/drool]

Old 07-29-2013, 11:29 AM

8,398 posts, read 8,481,567 times
I couldn't get past the ick factor feeling of watching old guy with girl, seemingly, young enough to be his granddaughter. Sorry don't have problem with may December, just didn't work for me for a number of reasons. Enjoyed some aspects, but started snoozing midway, pretty much figured out how the story was going to play out with the other old guy early on. It wasn't terrible, but I won't be going to see any sequels.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:14 PM

Thanks for the heads up about the credits scene Mark S.

I'm with you guys, it wasn't a great movie but not totally bad.

The plot was a mess. Since he needed his powers for them to take them away, why make him human and try to kill him? Why not just drug him with the arrow (like they did) and throw him in the chair?

Old 07-31-2013, 11:02 PM

4,153 posts, read 8,608,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post
Thanks for the heads up about the credits scene Mark S.

I'm with you guys, it wasn't a great movie but not totally bad.

The plot was a mess. Since he needed his powers for them to take them away, why make him human and try to kill him? Why not just drug him with the arrow (like they did) and throw him in the chair?
The plot is crap, it insinuates that "they" (whomever) made Logam immortal when in reality that is part of his own natural mutant power. The only thing done to Wolverine by man was coating his bones with Adamantium.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:18 AM

20,088 posts, read 23,828,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
The plot is crap, it insinuates that "they" (whomever) made Logam immortal when in reality that is part of his own natural mutant power.
I didn't get that at all. The old dude said he could take his power, not that what anyone had given it to him. The one line that might be confusing here was when the old guy said something to the effect of, "I can erase what they did to you," but I took that to mean his torment, adamantium, etc.

But really, taking a mutant's power isn't new to the story. It was a big plot point in the first X-Men film (very good movie) and X3 (horrid).

I guess the thing that appealed to me most about it was that it was the most grounded of the X-films. Most of the others (X3 is certainly the worst in this regard) seemed to feel like they needed to have 75 mutants in every scene. It was overkill. THE WOLVERINE had Logan himself, Yuki, and Viper. And honestly, I found Viper completely extraneous to the plot. You could have cut her role entirely and improved the story a great deal. The story was mostly just Logan's torment and ensuing killing spree, which is exactly what I want in a Wolverine film.

And this was certainly the best LOOKING of any of the X-films in terms of cinematography. Mangold knows how to shoot Japan for maximum effect, and he didn't bury every scene in CGI.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:59 AM

I agree. Viper could have been cut out completely. It was almost a case of 'add a mutant.'

Jessica Biel was originally reported to be playing Viper, I wish they'd have gone with her, I didn't care much for the actress they used in the role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies