U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 11:35 PM

29,204 posts, read 51,638,189 times

Advertisements

America's drive-in movie theaters are on the brink of extinction. At their peak in the 1950s and '60s, the country boasted over 4000 of the open-air cinemas. Today, there are 368, and these holdovers from the analog era are in trouble. The problem, as illustrated in this excellent L.A. Times piece, is that most of them still use traditional film projectors. Hollywood, where fortunes were built on celluloid, is getting ready to stop distributing film prints altogether after this year. Digital projection is now the norm.

Honda Wants to Save the Drive-Ins - Drive-In Theaters Facing Extinction - Road & Track
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 07:33 AM

48,565 posts, read 21,270,294 times
I suppose it isn't surprising that an automobile manufacturer wants to save an industry which requires customers to use an automobile.

However, drive ins have more problems than just antiquated projection systems. The adoption of Daylight Savings Time was a blow, cutting an hour of darkness so that first showings could not start until 9 or 10 pm in the summer, prime drive in weather. The advances in picture and sound which movie theaters may use, drive ins cannot. You cannot get surround sound from a tinny little speaker attached to your window.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:38 AM

25,244 posts, read 25,850,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I suppose it isn't surprising that an automobile manufacturer wants to save an industry which requires customers to use an automobile.

However, drive ins have more problems than just antiquated projection systems. The adoption of Daylight Savings Time was a blow, cutting an hour of darkness so that first showings could not start until 9 or 10 pm in the summer, prime drive in weather. The advances in picture and sound which movie theaters may use, drive ins cannot. You cannot get surround sound from a tinny little speaker attached to your window.
True... but they were so darned much fun.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:43 AM

20,823 posts, read 62,322,465 times
Nice promotional idea. Not every digital projector will work in a drive-in. When the screen is 80 feet across and outside, it takes a HECK of a lot more light to illuminate it than an indoor 35' screen. I used to burn my fingers on water-cooled and IR filtered film gates in the drive-in projectors. Put that much light in some digital units and they will be toast.

Sound is no problem - most drive-ins use FM transmitters, and if your car system is good it can be better sound that at some indoor theatres.

Managing a drive-in theatre was the very best job I ever had. Truly an amazing experience.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:04 PM

13,524 posts, read 19,831,117 times
If they're successful, teenage pregnancy rate will increase.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:04 PM

4,838 posts, read 3,897,758 times
I loathe movie theaters. I haven't gone to a theater since Brokeback in 2006. The only drive-in I know of now in our area is a couple hours away. Unfortunately, my favorite drive-in closed years ago. If they reopened drive-ins, I would have no problem going back. I'd rather see a movie at the drive-in, even with the sound quality & everything, then have to deal with the idiots at a movie theater.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:19 AM

17,542 posts, read 22,887,712 times
I suggest they unionize their plants

Old 08-15-2013, 09:48 PM

12,229 posts, read 17,266,804 times
I would love if drive-ins became more popular. One of my favorite summer activities is taking my son to the outdoor movies showings in the park or at the pool. Its fun to take a break from conventional movie theaters

Old 08-22-2013, 06:49 PM

4,885 posts, read 5,539,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I loathe movie theaters. I haven't gone to a theater since Brokeback in 2006. The only drive-in I know of now in our area is a couple hours away. Unfortunately, my favorite drive-in closed years ago. If they reopened drive-ins, I would have no problem going back. I'd rather see a movie at the drive-in, even with the sound quality & everything, then have to deal with the idiots at a movie theater.
We seldom go to a movie theater anymore....too many nim rods. I loved going to the old
drive-ins. They would usually show 2 current films and you can pack a late night pick-nick.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:25 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,724,675 times
We used to take all kinds of food (and drinks) to the drive-in. No one ever bothered us. It was like every car was an island.

I hope drive-ins will make a comeback, or at least remain. Sometimes I'd like to be a teenager during the heydays of the drive-ins (like in Happy Days).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies