Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 12:45 AM

69 posts, read 144,183 times

Advertisements

SYNOPSIS: At 15, Adele doesn't question it: girls go out with boys. Her life is changed forever when she meets Emma, a young woman with blue hair, who will allow her to discover desire, to assert herself as a woman and as an adult. In front of others, Adele grows, seeks herself, loses herself, finds herself...

Blue Is the Warmest Color Official International Trailer (2013) - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 06:00 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,231,683 times
If Americans make the same blockbuster over and over, I feel like the French make the same young woman discovers sex and life movie over and over. I'm not saying its not good, just that its a favored theme that I only need to watch so many of (which is also the way I feel about blockbusters, especially comic blockbusters)

Old 06-30-2017, 07:45 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,179,155 times
Surprised that this thread doesn't have more responses.

I first saw Blue is the Warmest Color several years ago on the Criterion Blu ray, and was extremely impressed by the film - it's definitely one of the most remarkable foreign movies I've seen, and also one of the best coming of age films of all time. Even though it was three hours long, it never dragged or felt forced. This film is definitely a true masterpiece, and is one of the few love stories/romances I actually enjoy. I found it quite moving and poignant, and this is coming from a straight guy.

As far as being able to relate - or not relate - to the characters. Well, I have absolutely no problem with seeing two women together - but, I still wasn't sure I could really identify/relate to the film prior to seeing it - i.e., I knew I would like the love scenes, etc. - however, I wasn't sure if the relationship aspect would be that interesting to me.

Well, I needn't have worried because I found the entire movie quite compelling - especially the relationship aspect, which was the focal point of the entire film. I liked how you really saw the progression with Adele first noticing Emma in the park in the beginning, to the early beginnings of the relationship, to their eventual moving in together, etc.

Especially impressed by:

The importance & use of food in the film - being a foodie myself, I found this interesting: In the first part of the film when Adele is in school and living @ home, she eats very standard food like spaghetti & salad. After she meets & then starts seeing Emma, she seems to experiment more with eating shell-fish/seafood & other more exotic foods - that she didn't have much interest in previously. Food definitely seems to have some kind of erotic connection here, or maybe I'm reading too much into this.

I like the use of the color Blue in the film. Though the obvious use of the color is related to Emma's dyed hair when she first meets Adele, I did also notice: a light blue blanket on Adele & Emma's bed, as well as the darker blue dress that Adele wore when she attended Emma's art showing at the end of the film.

Spoiler
The break-up scene - when Emma threw Adele out because she had cheated - was definitely one of the most disturbing scenes I've ever seen in a movie; the emotional pain of each character was quite palatable, and heart-breaking. Quite impressive acting here.

The scenes when Adele is suffering from depression
Spoiler
after the break-up (while alone in her new apartment) were quite realistic & well-done.

"Aging" Adele from her teens to her more mature early-mid 20's was brilliant; no aging make-up was used, but the character had a different hair style, glasses, and attitude during the later scenes when she was a teacher vs. the earlier scenes when she was still in school.

I also thought the
Spoiler
last scene of the film was truly brilliant, and non-Hollywood in the best way - i.e., the guy that Adele has met at a party years before met her again at the art gallery - and, when he went to look for her after she left the gallery/party, couldn't find her...a far cry from the typical Hollywood tear-jerker - in which the guy & the girl would hook up at the end & ride off happily into the sunset...

I have dated bi women in the past. And, IMHO I would have to say that Adele was bi-sexual - with a probable stronger attraction to women than men.
Spoiler
However, if she had only been into women, I don't believe she would have cheated on Emma with a guy.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 06-30-2017 at 08:16 PM..

Old 07-01-2017, 09:27 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,253,045 times
What stayed with me was the main character being exploited by the forces of social classes that defines modern France (and similar Western countries).

I'm a little put off by multiple scenes of explicit content (I love women, but it was a lot to sit through), but it's a brilliant movie that I need to see again.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:07 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,159,541 times
What struck me about this film was Léa Seydoux' performance. Such a versatile actress; Mysteries of Lisbon, Midnight in Paris, The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Lobster. I wanted to see her in the 2015 remake of Diary of a Chambermaid, but I didn't see it playing here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies