Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:35 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,420,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I'm stoked! I'm going to the early 7:00 pm showing on Thursday!!

Anyone else going to see Godzilla this weekend?
I'm fortunate enough to live near a theater that has motorized recliners, and also serves beer and wine along with food. You need to make a reservation (unless you want to be put in the front row) to get the best seats. Give us a shout out after you see it. I hope you enjoy it.

I'm booked for Saturday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 04:52 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,458,330 times
Hesitantly seeing it Sat.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:09 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,022,076 times
I just came back from seeing it.
It wasn't bad. I went into this one "blind" without reading any previews. It had a twist to it.
It was different from the last movie. (in 2000?). That shocked me and I think it shocked few other people in the theater.

Great graphics in my opinion. Pretty good story.
You can take your kids to it, nothing too scary, I don't think there was any terribly bad language.

Kind of major spoiler but click at your own risk>>
Spoiler

It not just Godzilla, randomly rampaging
There is More than one monster
I think people who grew watching earlier installments may like this one.

Last edited by Jermaine88; 05-15-2014 at 08:39 PM..

Old 05-15-2014, 08:46 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,493,430 times
I saw it tonight. I loved it. Great fun if you are a fan of this genre and a fan of Godzilla, in general.

I loved that there was more to the story than Godzilla running amuck.They were somewhat more geographically accurate than past Godzilla movies. If something goes down in Japan, Godzilla isn't going to magically show up in NYC. He (it) would hit the west coast.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:19 PM

3,644 posts, read 4,492,457 times
I hated it. It was terribly disappointing. 1 hr into the film and Godzilla has not even been mentioned or anything. We got plenty of the 2 flying things though. Not sure why this film was called Godzilla. I really didn't like the way he looked. He looked like a big fat lizard. I was getting tired of seeing Godzilla's leg and then maybe half of him through someone's gas mask, or car window, or bus window, or closing doors. Got no explanation about why the 2 flying things and Godzilla were enemies. So much time spent on nuclear reactor and radiation. Way too much of Cranston's going-through-puberty-squeaky-panicky-voice/grunts. Yikes. The film makers seemed way more focused on showing us random destruction than anything else. We get it, buildings are falling down.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
The film makers seemed way more focused on showing us random destruction than anything else. We get it, buildings are falling down.
So, um, what were you expecting? It's a movie about a giant fake creature...that knocks down buildings and tosses cars around. Have you seen any of the original Godzilla movies?

Spoiler
ETA: The "other creatures" were parasites that the Godzilla type creatures didn't like. That was explained in the movie.

Last edited by charlygal; 05-16-2014 at 02:07 PM..

Old 05-16-2014, 05:07 PM

3,644 posts, read 4,492,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
So, um, what were you expecting? It's a movie about a giant fake creature...that knocks down buildings and tosses cars around. Have you seen any of the original Godzilla movies?

Spoiler
ETA: The "other creatures" were parasites that the Godzilla type creatures didn't like. That was explained in the movie.
I was expecting a little more depth to the story than RAWR CRASH RAWR ARRRR OWWWW RAWR CRASH!!! Or
Spoiler
30 minutes out of 2.5 hour movie are Godzilla getting his ass kicked, then he kills the monsters, takes a nap, and goes back into the water while everyone who was just trying to kill him cheers for him. So stupid. Like I said some of the scenes were cool, like when G's face got hidden by the smoke and when he finally defeated the huge MUTA (or whatever they called it) but I am just disappointed that that is what the film makers spent soooo much time on. It was the same scene over and over again. Smoldering, ruined cities.

I didn't see where they explained it. I might have missed it. They must have mentioned it quickly or in passing.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I was expecting a little more depth to the story than RAWR CRASH RAWR ARRRR OWWWW RAWR CRASH!!!
Sorry but that's Godzilla in a nutshell.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:44 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,068 times
6/10

Disappointing but didnt exactly expect anything amazing either

Old 05-16-2014, 11:39 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,199,671 times
I loved it. As good as the original. The 1998 version is forgotten now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies