Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Classic Movies vs Modern Movies
Classic Movies 8 80.00%
Modern Movies 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 04:31 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
They still make movies?
Thats what they call them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 05:00 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
You left out the "Both" option.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:17 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,995 times
I actually thought the two King Kong remakes were both better than the original, and I thought that The Fly remake as better.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:03 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
I guess classic if this is just about the age of the movies. Today's movies mostly seem to be action and superheros, neither of which I really care much about. So I have to say classic. But a movie like "Weekend at Bernie's Two" doesn't seem like a classic to me.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:46 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I actually thought the two King Kong remakes were both better than the original, and I thought that The Fly remake as better.
I agree.

The A Star Is Born franchise got better over time as well.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:33 AM

There can be no doubt that special effects are usually much, much better now. My beef is that instead of getting beautiful movies we are getting spectacular CGI effects. Which brings up the zero sum game philosophy that is so often true: There is a almost always a price that is paid for "moving forward."

Lets face it, the vast majority of movie goers are far more interested in entertainment than what ivory tower critics value. What Top 25 movie isn't just as shallow as it can be? The Titanic? Maybe? But I don't think it was the love story that drove the unprecedented ticket sales.

Is a love story more complex than a war movie? Have to give Saving Private Ryan props for telling an intriguing
story. But it was likely the battle scenes that drove the sales. Hacksaw Ridge is just as compelling a story. The movie similarly well done I think. Ticket sales were nothing like Saving Private Ryan though it did quite well on DVD.

Gone With the Wind may still be the #1 movie all things considered. Would a similar movie fare so well today? Doubtful.

Movie popularity seems fickle to me. Some of the best movie experiences have been movies that I had never heard of. As for the Transformer series? Entertaining enough but Top 10 stuff? That is bizarre.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:34 AM

50,813 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Both. Either. I enjoy the movies I enjoy. Classic movies could mean older movies. Older movies that are classic. High Noon (1952), a classic western. THE western, imho, and ymmv. Takes place in near real time. Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly get married (that alone makes it a must see) and find out a the Miller gang, Lee Van Cleef, Sheb Wooley (they guy who sang and wrote The Purple People Eater) (and another) are arriving at noon with revenge on their mind, on the day that GC turns in his badge and plans to leave town, but is OBE (overcome by events). Classic.
I agree. I don't think it has to be an either/or.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:02 PM

One thing that classic American movies prior to the 60s have hindering them though is the Hays Production Code. I like a lot of classic movies, but only to a certain extent for a lot of them because the production code could get in the way sometimes, of certain things, that might have told the story more effectively, had the code not existed.

Old 05-19-2019, 02:26 PM

The Hays Code coincided exactly with Hollywood's Golden Era. Movies are enhanced by sound values contrary to what the erstwhile skewers of our social fabric intend to promulgate. Hollywood actually lost money in the 60's after the Hays Code, which forced them into normalcy, was abolished.

My family was pretty avid movie goers. I'll never forget the horror my mom displayed when none other than John Wayne did something that was completely uncalled for. We didn't see another movie until I took them to see The Mission in the 80's.

While many enjoy the filthy orgy that Hollywood often promulgates, at the end of the day it costs them money.

Old 05-19-2019, 02:35 PM

Which John Wayne movie was that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies