Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 02:03 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,582,853 times

Advertisements

... But not for the usual reasons, ie profanity, graphic sex and violence, ethnic and national stereotypes etc, but for more subtle, almost philosophical reasons, or what you feel the filmmakers were trying to say? For me there are two movies like this (POSSIBLE SPOILERS):

- Runaway Jury: I'm no NRA fanatic, but the fact that they changed the subject matter of the movie to guns from the novel's depiction of a tobacco lawsuit, and the fact that in the end the protagonists were supposed to seem vindicated after behaving as unethically as the "bad guy" for little more reason than "guns are bad", seemed really trite and disappointing to me, after I enjoyed the first two acts.

- Knocked Up: In the B storyline, the wife constantly insults and nags the husband, but then we're supposed to think he's a jerk because he sneaks off to have time by himself or bro down with his boys, despite the fact that he doesn't cheat and works hard to put food on the table. This line of thinking is probably one of the foremost contributors to divorce in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 05:56 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,071,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
...Have you ever been offended by a movie
not really. it is aggravating though when the flow of a perfectly good story line has to be ruined by an obligatory advertisment, you could even call it a commercial for a particular cause.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:21 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,246,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post

...Have you ever been offended by a movie
ALL...THE...TIME

The Demoniacs (1974): I don't really know what to say about it. its just...so...bad. you gotta YouTube the movie if you have not seen it. that is my challenge. it is the most MST3K-able movie ever made, I think.

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner ('67): just the idea of it. basically, in order to be worthy enough (by the audience) to date an unemployed hippy white girl, a black man has to be a doctor or something like that. and they thought they were advancing race relations.

Fast and Furious 2: is their audience THAT stupid? (rented it as a goof when it first came out.)

Twilight 2: is their audience really THAT stupid? (caught some of it on TV whilst flipping through channels)

You Got Served: black people don't talk like that. (was only able to watch about 4-5 minutes before tapping out.) not as bad as Demoniacs in a continuity of story kind of way (I would imagine) but much worse in a loud, obnoxious, off-putting kind of way.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:01 AM

22,831 posts, read 28,056,422 times
Offended? No, not really. I disagree with a movie's particular slant quite often. But offended? No.

Movies insult my intelligence all the time. Especially Hollywood blockbusters. It's really kind of amazing how stupid movies have become in the past 15 years. If you want quality storytelling on film, it's all on TV these days. Movies are all about special effects and pretty people. Very little good storytelling at the movies anymore.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:18 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,195,765 times
The only one was the recent The Counselor..Javier Bardem, Cameron Diaz, Brad Pitt.

I have never seen such low life characters, inhuman torture,a proverted female sex scene....it was the dregs...choppy editing, disjointed story....really I have never
had such a reaction to such an ugly movie...and from a person who
loves Tarantino no less!!
Not how it was advertised.

In fact, if I was Cameron, I would have refused the part.
If I was any of them...I would have refused to be part of the project.

If u think there's no good storytelling anymore...go see a perfect movie in every way
Philomena with Judy Densh.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:22 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,782,774 times
I guarantee the answer is subjective.
Totally offended for others via dated and moderate movies. Hell-even the casting!

Old 12-06-2013, 09:51 AM

37,733 posts, read 40,776,995 times
Two movies disgusted me:

1. The Contender - To this day I can't figure out why I didn't just get up and walk out.

2. Spanglish - There wasn't a single redeeming character in the whole movie. Then, there was all of the loud whining. The movie is filled with neurotic whiners. Shoot me now!

I usually don't see movies like The Contender and Spanglish but I feel I was misled by the advertising.

Also, movies tend to disgust me because of their Hollywood/California POV about the rest of America. Hey, Hollywood - we all don't run to shrinks every 5 minutes like you guys apparently do. (the latest trend).

Old 12-06-2013, 09:54 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,246,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Offended? No, not really. I disagree with a movie's particular slant quite often. But offended? No.

Movies insult my intelligence all the time. Especially Hollywood blockbusters. It's really kind of amazing how stupid movies have become in the past 15 years. If you want quality storytelling on film, it's all on TV these days. Movies are all about special effects and pretty people. Very little good storytelling at the movies anymore.
i actually agree with all the above. the movies i brought up earlier were more of an insult to my intelligence than an offense. i do still find the underlying premis behind Guess Who's Coming to Dinner - that if a black man works hard and becomes a doctor or a Senator, then maybe, just maybe, he'll be good enough to marry some air-head white girl - to be a little offensive though.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:18 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,574,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
i do still find the underlying premis behind Guess Who's Coming to Dinner - that if a black man works hard and becomes a doctor or a Senator, then maybe, just maybe, he'll be good enough to marry some air-head white girl - to be a little offensive though.
You always have to take the context of the times into account when viewing some of the older movies. Interracial marriage was still illegal in some states when this film was made. The writers made Poitier's character a doctor because the only objection left would be race, which is the whole point of the movie.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:09 AM

13,520 posts, read 21,998,550 times
Birth of a Nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies