Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 05:51 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times

Advertisements

There was an episode of the tv series "The Big Bang Theory" this season where the Amy character winds up ruining "Raiders of the Lost Ark" for the science nerd boys by pointing out that Indiana Jones was completely superfluous to the story. Had he not been in the movie, the Nazis still would have found the Ark, and still would have been killed when they opened it.

That reminded me of a couple of films where I have major problems with the story. One of them is "The Postman Always Rings Twice" where the evil couple gets foiled when the ladder being used is spotted by a passing motorcycle patrolman. In that I cannot for the life of me figure out why they were using the ladder rather than the perfectly serviceable stairs in the house for their purposes, I have to rate this one a head scratcher. They went out of their way to add a needless step to their crime, almost as though the goal was enhancing the chances of their being caught.

Another is in a movie I actually enjoyed quite a bit until I started thinking about it later on. This is "Usual Suspects." The entire elaborate police lineup staging, the blackmail of the gang into attacking the ship, all that turned out to really be for the single purpose of killing the one living man who could identify Kaiser Soze.

Great....except after all the blood and Soze's clever escape, that guy is still alive in the hospital. They decided to use him as a plot device in letting the audience know who Soze really was, but then forgot to kill him afterward.

At the end of the movie, after all that complex trouble and expense, Soze isn't any better off than when the film began. Nearly everyone is dead except the guy that Soze wanted killed.

Anyone got any similar cases?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 08:20 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Review: 'Inside Llewyn Davis' | KPBS San Diego Public Radio & TV: News, Arts & Culture

Quote:
The problem with the Coens' films is that they sometimes feel a bit aloof and the lack of overt emotion can make the meaning or purpose of their films hard to determine. The filmmakers themselves are often no help and in interviews you can never be sure if you can believe what they say or if you are being jerked around. At a press conference for 'Inside Llewyn Davis,' they dryly said, “The film doesn't really have a story or a plot, which is why we added the cat.”

Old 12-23-2013, 07:27 PM

368 posts, read 396,011 times
http://i.imgur.com/MIyek.png

Old 12-23-2013, 08:03 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,671,533 times
At the beginning of Star Wars... the shuttle that contains R2-D2 and C3PO. There were 'no life forms' on the shuttle so they let it go...in all reality, a follow up on why and empty shuttle would have been done and if any thing, the shuttle would have been target practice.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:40 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,420,974 times
Gravity, the whole movie.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:03 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,420,974 times
The Wolverine

Yashida (who wants Logan's mutant powers) has Logan meet him at his house, in the first 15 minutes of the movie. He also has Viper who can knock out anything and everything with her powers. They do absolutely nothing. They then spend about an hour and a half impeding Logan's mutant ability, chasing him around Japan, fighting on top of a bullet train, all the while having 40-50 ninjas trying to kill him (Which would be counter productive to their whole plan). All that just to get Logan to come to the 'tower' where Yashida can extract Logan's mutant power. Which, after all of that, is what Logan does anyhow????

Wouldn't Yashida just ask Logan to meet him there in the first place? Even the most inept villain could come up with that plan.

Old 12-24-2013, 06:01 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,579,310 times
Dial M for Murder and the remake A Perfect Murder

While I love both movies, it's always really bugged me that the entire story is hinged on the fact that both the murderer-for-hire and the intended victim supposedly have identical apartment keys. That's a lot to swallow! There are many different makes of keys, tints of metal, plus how worn or new they are...

Old 12-25-2013, 09:58 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Plot holes are so common that they occur more often than not. I had to stop watching the tv series "Bones" because they were too numerous and intrusive. The old cartoon panel where a scientist is at a blackboard with a complex formula covering most of it seems an appropriate analogy. Another scientist has walked up to the board and has commented - "I think you might need to work on this section, where it says '...and then a miracle happened.'"

Old 12-26-2013, 08:28 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
IMDB has a list of viewer-contributed inconsistencies, click on Goofs in the left menu of the page for any film. Many are hilarious. For example, there are 151 of them listed for "Saving Private Ryan".

Old 12-26-2013, 07:44 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
Last night was about to watch a 'Fred and Ginger' movie on TCM. Host mentioned that we should watch Fred getting into a cab not wearing a hat with next scene of him getting out of the cab wearing a hat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies