Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 04:00 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,971,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I don't know but I will say Andrew Lincoln does a good American accent on The Walking Dead. Actually, it'd be southern.....I wonder if it's easier & more convincing for an English actor to do a southern accent as opposed to say the Midwestern accent, which I really can't characterize as an accent at all.
How is it not an accent at all? The accent in the midwest is the accent that the grand majority of the United States has. It IS the American accent.

I would think a British actor trying to do a southern American accent would be very difficult, it's also tough because there are so many different southern dialects. People in southern Louisiana do not sound like people in Alabama, and people in Alabama do not really sound like those in North Carolina, and North Carolina is different from Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 06:34 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,621,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Alan Tudyk - "Death at a Funeral" and "A Knight's Tale."
Great one. I thought Alan Tudyk was British for years until I saw "42" and started wondering, because that Southern accent was so good.

I think American/Canadian/non-British actors can do a good English (or Irish, Scottish, Welsh...) accent if they put a lot of effort into it and actually visit the place where the accent comes from, instead of just relying on a dialect coach. I heard Renee Zellweger was able to fool English people with her accent.

Someone mentioned Leonardo DiCaprio as doing bad accents. I disagree. He was good in The Departed with the Boston accent and good with the South African one too. The Django one was over the top but that was possibly intentional.

On the flipside, a good amount of actors can't do an American accent very well. Watch Aussie Sam Worthington in "Terminator Salvation"...SO TERRIBLE, in the same movie in which Bale does a perfect one. Also, I never thought Ewan McGregor could do a very good American accent. Michael Caine's is bad. The list goes on.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:34 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
How is it not an accent at all? The accent in the midwest is the accent that the grand majority of the United States has. It IS the American accent.

I would think a British actor trying to do a southern American accent would be very difficult, it's also tough because there are so many different southern dialects. People in southern Louisiana do not sound like people in Alabama, and people in Alabama do not really sound like those in North Carolina, and North Carolina is different from Virginia.
Right, I'm from the Midwest. Newscasters I've seen in various parts of the country usually sound like Midwesterners, it's a bland neutral voice. That's why I said "no accent".

Old 12-31-2013, 02:33 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,971,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Right, I'm from the Midwest. Newscasters I've seen in various parts of the country usually sound like Midwesterners, it's a bland neutral voice. That's why I said "no accent".
Perhaps I am over analyzing here, but someone from the midwest most definitely has an accent compared with someone from the UK. There's a fundamental different between the standard American accent and "no accent".

Old 01-01-2014, 01:32 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,560 times
I've seen plenty of American actors pull off the British accent with ease, and vice versa. Perhaps one reason why many British actors take to American accents so well is because they've been exposed to US culture via music, movies, and TV shows far more than Americans are to UK shows.

Quote:
Perhaps I am over analyzing here, but someone from the midwest most definitely has an accent compared with someone from the UK. There's a fundamental different between the standard American accent and "no accent".
Yes, exactly what I was thinking. What I've noticed is that many European performers resort to the safe, flat, "American accent" which isn't really an American accent at all. There's no nuance to the way they speak, so I wouldn't classify their accent as the standard midwestern American accent at all. It's actually a non accent.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:18 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,675 times
Quote:
Shrug, whatever. I'm not on here to argue about such a small topic. I posted my thought on this, to no one in particular & you seem to be defensive about my post. Weird.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:38 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,809,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
That's true. There are many so-called "British" accents. Someone from London sounds very different than someone from Manchester. The Welsh and the Scots are totally different. I can barely understand a heavy Belfast accent.

But the same thing is true of Americans. Bostonians sound very different from New Yorkers who are different from Virginians who are different from Floridians who are different from Texans who are different from Midwesterners.
It is not true of Americans in the same way.

British regional accents are far older than American regional accents, which of course go back no more than four centuries (most of them considerably less). That long time has allowed far more variation, including very subtle variation, to develop amongst British English than amongst American English. Immigrants to America, even those from Britain, were from various areas, and the effect was the the fine differences in their native speech were filtered out in the subsequent American-born generations. The waves of immigrants to the U.S. that followed which did not even speak English as their mother tongue (Germans, Italians, Eastern Europeans, Scandinavians, Asians, Latin Americans) did even more to buff the accent edges off of American English and to inhibit the degree to which our own regional accents would develop.

As a result, there is far more variation of the English language spoken in England, an area smaller than Louisiana with a population of 53 million, than in the United States, which has 6x the population spread out over and area over 70x as large with far more formidable geographical barries (alpine mountains, vast deserts, tundra, great lakes, vast swamps) that are normally conducive to linguistic isolation and divergence.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:52 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,146,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
He's a television actor, but James Marsters was often lauded for his accent as Spike in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Then again, some people thought it sounded pretty fake too.
I'm going to second Spike. It was actually jarring hearing him in other stuff, doing an American accent, like Smallville (don't judge). For the life of me, I can remember if he used a British or American accent for Torchwood.

I think Peter Dinklage is pretty good on Game of Thrones. Funnily, I thought Lena Headley (Cersei) did a decent American accent when she was on The Sarah Conner Chronicles.

I like Sam Worthington, but his accent in Terminator Salvation was godawful, but maybe there's a difference since he's from Australia?

And for a purposely(?) bad Australian/Peacekeeper accent, Ben Browder was hilariously horrendous on Farscape.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:14 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,279,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
I'm going to second Spike. It was actually jarring hearing him in other stuff, doing an American accent, like Smallville (don't judge). For the life of me, I can remember if he used a British or American accent for Torchwood.

Just an FYI: you are my new best friend for mentioning Torchwood. Now I can't remember either, though

I think someone mentioned upthread that British actors must have difficulty pulling off Southern accents. Maybe I misread? (and I can't find it to quote it, of course) Anyway, I think for Brits, Southern accents are probably the easiest to pull off because they have the same non-rhotic "r" sound at the end of words (or is it rhotic? my Linguistics classes were so long ago).

Old 01-05-2014, 08:13 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,213 times
I thought Renee Zellweger did a good job in Bridget Jones's Diary, didn't jar on my English ears at all. Plus of course, the magnificent Meryl Streep as Maggie Thatcher...... great as always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies