Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 06:17 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times

Advertisements

The Big Country (1958) with Gregory Peck, Jean Simmons, Carroll Baker, Charlton Heston, Burl Ives, and Chuck Connors.
Rio Bravo
El Dorado
True Grit (the original)
Dances with Wolves

But Shane and High Noon were good too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 11:56 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Didn't we have a thread about favorite Westerns a while back? Anyway, it is always a good topic.

My Numero Uno: The Searchers, long before it was recognized as something special (recently it was hailed as the Best Western Ever). Everything is perfect...the character development, the locations, the dialogue, the music, and (for the 21st century) the hyper sensitive race issue which Ford handled amazingly well. Watch it with Ford's Two Rode Together; they're companion pieces. The captive girl returns home, but here she is shunned, and the small, friendly frontier society from The Searchers has become a stuffy, rigid image of prejudice. The Searchers is better, but Two Rode Together is worth watching as a continuation of Ford's internal dialogue about the facade and the "underbelly" of the West.

My other favorites? Next in line is High Noon, and yes, it was a political movie, which drove Howard Hawks crazy and inspired him to do Rio Bravo as an anti-High Noon film, but nevertheless it is a masterpiece.
Shane is way down on my list; I used to love it, but these days it seems a bit heavy-handed. Still, it's a classic. But as much as I like Alan Ladd, I read the book before I ever saw the movie, and the Shane character in the book looks a lot more like the Jack Palance gunslinger in the movie! So I'd have liked some lean, dark-haired, slightly mysterious, charismatic Hollywood actor to have played Shane, maybe Gregory Peck or Tyrone Power, dressed in a black outfit. Now that's the real Shane!
For personal reasons I'd place John Wayne's The Alamo high on my list; it affected me enormously as a kid. it will never qualify as a masterpiece, but it is so heartfelt and so visually beautiful that I don't mind it being clunky here and there.
Other favorites:
Monte Walsh, both the version with Lee Marvin and with Tom Selleck
Tom Horn
Will Penny
Rio Bravo
True Grit, both of them, although I really like the original more than the new one, authenticity notwithstanding. The old one is simply more charming...
River of No Return
Lonesome Dove
Tombstone
Ride the High Country
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Rawhide (a Western film noir with Tyrone Power)

Recently I've become a fan of the Bud Boetticher--Randy Scott Westerns filmed in Lone Pine, CA. They're just such solid stories, really well crafted, no fuss, no wasted dialogue, and great visuals. Thank goodness for the Encore Western Channel and DVDs.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:42 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Shane is such a beautiful movie....... High Noon, for me, not so much. The greatest western for me is without doubt The Searchers.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:47 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,063,148 times
Generally, when I have to choose between two things, I like to take both!

Old 02-09-2014, 05:29 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,421,112 times
Eldorado
The Sons of Katie Elder
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence
Silverado

Old 02-09-2014, 05:38 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,328,741 times
Shane over High Noon.
The Ox-Bow Incident
Gunfight at the OK Corral
Ride the High Country
The Wild Bunch
The Westerner

I like Parody and Comedy too.
My name is Nobody
All the Trinity movies
Blazing Saddles
Goin South

Old 02-09-2014, 11:02 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,014,125 times
Recently watched, "The Gunfighter", with Gregory Peck, liked it. "3:10 to Yuma", like both, but the latest version just a little more. The ending is different in both, how did the book end?

Old 02-10-2014, 08:27 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,544,828 times
Shane gets the edge for me........The saloon showdown.........the kid.......the wife who seems to be attracted to him..........Jack Palance......

And did Shane die....?? Was he mortally wounded...?? You never learn what happened later as he rides off......

[youtube]
=WDDOd8kGBXo[youtube]

[youtube]
=DtoCw2iOTSc[youtube]

How could you not fall for this??? LOL

Old 02-10-2014, 08:32 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
What? I didn't know anyone knew about Shane?
I remember going to some house in Massachusetts that there
was some filming in for Shane....when I was like 6.
My mother raved about that movie...guess I'll have to see it.
Thanks.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:41 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,544,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Shane is such a beautiful movie....... High Noon, for me, not so much. The greatest western for me is without doubt The Searchers.
Agreed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies